Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Grammar parser - please read before using!

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

マイコー
Level: 256

(This is being written in advance of the official experimental release)

What is it: a matching system so single/multi-word grammar expressions can be referenced and examined within sentences.

Example: この んだがいい. (You should take this medicine / It'd be good to take this medicine).

Currently, you can mouse over words and get info on word definitions and verb conjugations. With this system, the words んだがいい will have additional lookup info, binding them to the がいい grammar entry in renshuu's grammar library.

Things to note:
1. This is an automated system based on pattern matching. It's pretty good, and will do its best to suggest the most likely expression should several expressions overlap the same set of words. It is also flexible towards word order (when applicable) and conjugation of related elements.

2. Currently, it does not show basic particles, since there is not yet a good way to prioritize meanings per sentence (for example, で has several entries in renshuu's library). Some verb conjugations are not yet shown as well, and use the old system.

3. Grammar expressions that are embedded inside of words are not matched.

4. There is a temporary "Toggle Grammar" link that appears under sentences - this is used to see all matched grammar for a sentence at a glance.

How you can help!

If you see a grammar expression that you are pretty sure is in renshuu's grammar library, but isn't being in marked in a sentence, do the following:

A. Tap "Toggle Grammar"

B. Use the form contained to send a missing grammar report.

It is most likely not necessary to send multiple reports for the same grammar expression.

How is this feature going to help?

Aside from the amazing lookup feature, this will help us do amazing work with our 170,000+ sentence library. The following will be possible:

1. Easier mining of example sentences for grammar expressions

2. Better ordering of sentences based on user grammar knowledge

3. Expansion of grammar quizzing materials

4. Text Analyzer expansion - get grammar grading levels as well for bodies of text.

Additional notes

This is not yet available for any newly made user sentences. It will eventually be automatically applied, but this will only happen once the system is formally released.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

Note: Typically, when a bug is reported, it can take several hours / a day for the sentences to get the new data. I am working on speeding up the system, but because it is so flexible, there is a *huge* number of word/conjugation/pattern combinations that need to be checked for each sentence.

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1180

For the identified grammar would it be possible to show the Japanese grammar page title in addition to the English description ?

For example:

The grammar comes from the "について" page, so I would prefer a display something like:

について

について

1. Concerning A; About A; Relating to A (details)

I find it easier/faster to understand what grammar it is talking about when that title is included.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

Yea, I think I can wing that.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

Should be up!

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1180

Amazing! Thank you!

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

Thanks to those of you testing it, the accuracy of the tool has gone up quite a bit. As I continue to work on that, I am implementing a new hinting system.

There are many expressions that are the same in terms of syntax, but have different meanings.

Example: まで

One meaning is "until, as far as, etc.", while another is "even". Both of them function with a noun in front of まで

renshuu will, in this case, list both of them, but only show one as the "suggested" meaning, with the second one listed as an alternate.

In order to better choose which one shows up, each expression can take one or more hints (these are being added slowly) to weight one expression over another.

As an example

までってください。(Please run to / as far as the school)

In this case, the expression has "until" and "as far as" as English hints. If they are found in the English, it'll weight that expression over the "even" version of it.

It works with Japanese as well - some expressions are more likely to contain other words in a sentence. Later on, I'll be able to start classifying words, so we'll get even more fine-grained marking. (Ex: This expression has a noun that is usually a person)

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

A small change should make the grammar report tool somewhat easier to use.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

The markup reporting tool is going to be moved to a more discrete location in the near future.

The markup system is fairly mature, and I doubt there will be many more structural improvements. I am currently integrating it into the text analyzer.

I expect a public release in December. That does not mean it'll pick up all copies of every grammar expression, though - this is an ongoing process as I continue to add new variations and patterns to pick up ones that fall through the cracks.

In other words, I still have a significant list in front of me for sentences that do not have all the grammar marked up inside of them, and I'm knocking them out, a few expressions a day.

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana