Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - transitive usages of める

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Level: 163

What are the transative usages of める?

Does the めtransitiveまintransitive rule apply here to? Is まる coming from める (though the definition I found had no relation to めるwork as/for)

1 year ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1464

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here...

All of める's usages (to work for, to act as, etc.) are transitive. For example:

めている。 = He works at the bank.

める。 = She plays the leading part.

めた。 = I served the king in my youth.

1 year ago
Report Content

With transitive usage, usually there is a target/object which we use with を or に。It is the same with this case, you can search the site's dictionary for sentences with める.

Looking at the kanji for , you'll find the reading of transitive (める、つとめる) and intransitive (まる、つとまる).

I've noticed a pattern for some groups of the words. Looking at the A I U E O grouping. When a word has forms in both A-group あ-group and E-group え-group, in the case of める and まる, with め(me) and ま(ma) , usually the A-version is intransitive-self, and the E-version is transitive-targeted.

Hope that helps.

1 year ago
Report Content

Actually, I'm mainly asking about the usages of まる, if that word exists *following the E-A pattern

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1180

This list: http://nihongo.monash.edu/ti_l...

claims that they are "verbs where the transitive/intransitive pair are related by an eru-aru pattern":

TRANSITIVEINTRANSITIVE
める [つとめる]
(v1) (1) to serve; to fill a post; to serve under; to work (for); (2) to exert oneself; to endeavor; to endeavour; to be diligent; (3) to play (the part of)
まる [つとまる]
(v5r) to be fit for; to be equal to; to function properly
1 year ago
Report Content

This list: http://nihongo.monash.edu/ti_l...

claims that they are "verbs where the transitive/intransitive pair are related by an eru-aru pattern":

TRANSITIVEINTRANSITIVE
める [つとめる]
(v1) (1) to serve; to fill a post; to serve under; to work (for); (2) to exert oneself; to endeavor; to endeavour; to be diligent; (3) to play (the part of)
まる [つとまる]
(v5r) to be fit for; to be equal to; to function properly

Thanks for the link, @Anonymous123, seems like the link also links to an updated page https://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/ji...

That updated page warns of an exception:

Note also that azukaru and azukeru are both transitive verbs. This often comes up in tests on trick questions.

Small little exceptions in tricky tests, haha.

1 year ago
Report Content

Ah, I see, thanks for the links

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana