Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Best courses/resources/schedules to study?

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

ロドス
Level: 87

Ive been using renshuu to learn japanese for about a week now and ive just been going through everything marked as content for the JLPT N5 exam. My end goal is complete fluency in Japanese. Am I on the right track? Is there an order in which i should do things? For context and further help replying I've gone through all of the N5 Vocab, Beginner Grammar and Kanji. Any recommendations on schedules/lessons that will help me improve?

1 year ago
Report Content

Mastery of a (human communication) language, can be broken down into 4 parts:

- Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking.

It may be a different mix of fluency for each individual according to their personal goal. Some aim to read novels, others to watch japanese video/movie/TV, and also others to pass JLPT certification exams.

Depending on your needs, you can do focused studies that cater to your personal goals.

Generally, I think you can start with visiting the "Japanese basics" section https://www.renshuu.org/index.... From there, you can click on the buttons "add beginner japanese to dashboard", "add japanese basic to dashboard". They will help add schedules to your dashboard. As you complete those it will continue to get to higher level topics through a prompt, once you complete the schedule.

These are kinda SRS-ish (spaced repetition system) so it's going to take some time to fully master. You can also check your mastery level as tracked by the renshuu platform. Repetition helps in memorization. The different exercises help in understanding through sentence synthesis practice, especially, Word Garden and Question Corner.

There are many fun stuff in the games and community to participate which will help with the foundations.

It's best to be able to do some immersion as well. Like consume media (books/articles/movies NHK NewsEasy) full pure japanese-only in short sessions, little by little increase so you can flex and practice your understanding. In addition, producing is also an important part of the road to proficiency. Writing Haikus or Sentences, write a short conversation scene in a play, translate your favourite simple short story to japanese sentence by sentence, all will test your abiility to create. With the fluency goal of being able to process your everyday thoughts in pure japanese without needing translations in your head.

Hope this helps.

1 year ago
Report Content
エリーゼ
Level: 403

I agree a lot with the above comment from Kuma. Think about what you want to get out of Japanese, and study for those things.

I'm a beginner as well, since April. I got hung up over finding the "perfect" study method. Watched YouTube videos for hours, instead of really just picking up a textbook and starting to actually study. No one is going to have the perfect method since we all learn differently. Find what suits you the best, and stick with it! You can accomplish so much, just keep at it!

1 year ago
Report Content
ロドス
Level: 87

Mastery of a (human communication) language, can be broken down into 4 parts:

- Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking.

It may be a different mix of fluency for each individual according to their personal goal. Some aim to read novels, others to watch japanese video/movie/TV, and also others to pass JLPT certification exams.

Depending on your needs, you can do focused studies that cater to your personal goals.

Generally, I think you can start with visiting the "Japanese basics" section https://www.renshuu.org/index.... From there, you can click on the buttons "add beginner japanese to dashboard", "add japanese basic to dashboard". They will help add schedules to your dashboard. As you complete those it will continue to get to higher level topics through a prompt, once you complete the schedule.

These are kinda SRS-ish (spaced repetition system) so it's going to take some time to fully master. You can also check your mastery level as tracked by the renshuu platform. Repetition helps in memorization. The different exercises helps in understanding through sentence synthesis practice, especially, Word Garden and Question Corner.

There are many fun stuff in the games and community to participate which will help with the foundations.

It's best to be able to do some immersion as well. Like consume media (books/articles/movies NHK NewsEasy) full pure japanese-only in short sessions, little by little increase so you can flex and practice your understanding. In addition, producing is also important part of it, writing Haikus or Sentences, write a short conversation scene in a play, translate your favourite simple short story to japanese sentence by sentence.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips! I've gone through all the content you suggested and am starting to wrap my head around Grammar. Where should i do next? Im not studying a textbook and am terrible at compiling my own resources so im somewhat lost on how to advance from this point.

Thanks

1 year ago
Report Content

@ロードースー If you've already added schedules from the Japanese Basics page, then on your Renshuu dashboard you should see "Mastery Schedules" for Words, Kanji, Grammar, and Sentences.

You can continue to work on those and add new words to the schedule from the Master Schedule respective section prompt (when you finish). There's limited number of words/questions to study per day/week depending on the default settings and whether you've adjusted (max per week, max per day) those. Once you complete learning a default schedule, you'll probably get a notification in your Renshuu inbox to add a higher difficulty schedule.

From what I'm using now, I have Words, Grammar, Sentences, Kanji schedules on "Intermediate", and am still going through those after more than 6 months. Unless you're already proficient, or have a near photographic memory, you'll probably do better to continue according the current default Renshuu practice schedules.

Alternatively, there are also fun lessons, go to the "Resources">"Lesson Center", and use the easy search (there are suggested search links to click) to find some schedules you'll like to learn.

There are also other resources out there, a search should yield a lot of resources and similar sites. One of the recommended site is https://imabi.net/

If you want japanese immersion, there are:

• Light novels in Japanese, Syosetu: https://syosetu.com/
    • Helper plugins if reading on web browser, Yomichan: https://foosoft.net/projects/y... (you may need to get your hands on more dictionary files to load into the plugin other than defaults which are already pretty good, get a good JP-JP one)
    • Mobile phone (android) app dictionary that can help you with referring to dictionary entry meaning when reading light novels (highlight and open-with or "share" to app) on the browser: https://takoboto.jp/
  • Anime with japanese subtitles Animalon: https://animelon.com/
  • Manga raws are all over the place
  • Japan's youtube, NicoNico: https://www.nicovideo.jp/
  • Netflix japanese movies/dramas with japanese original audio and japanese subtitles (there are also other sites that have japanese audio and japanese subtitles.
1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1195

If you've already completed Japanese Basics and JLPT 5 stuff. One simple possibility is using the "manage schedule" feature to just add schedules for Genki 1, to fill in any JLPT5 gaps. And then once that is done do the same for Genki 2 which will put you in the JLPT 4 territory.

You don't need to own the Genki textbooks to study the vocab, kanji, and grammar. Everything you need to study that material is here.

1 year ago
Report Content

Personally, I like hiragana, because it helps you learn the basics and it will help you with words.

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana