Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - underground == ?

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Level: 163

Is it true that shinkansen can be underground, in which case it can be called either chikatetsu or shinkansen?

1 year ago
Report Content

I haven't had a chance to take the shinkansen as I toured Japan, but I did take a similar one in China from HangZhou to Shanghai more than 10 years ago. I heard that particular route was too short to reach top speed.

Back to the question, this is a hard question. There's the japanese people's "common" perspective on their "common" references and naming, and then there's the mathematical sets perspective.

I'll leave the Japanese perspective to someone who lives in japan to answer that to give further confirmation. Here is my guess at common usage terminology of the two terms:

Generally, the electric trains (don't think diesel/petrol trains can run underground without proper ventilation) if it goes underground like a subway, then technically chikatetsu is correct.

The shinkansen refers to the bullet train, and usually for the purpose of differentiating with other train services in conversations, the term may be referenced to mean the more premium service train with premium pricing and probably long-haul routes. It may also bring a connotation that someone is traveling to somewhere far away, far out of the range of common electric trains. Therefore shinkansen might not be commonly referred as the subway as the latter might be cheaper and run shorter routes between stations or in a smaller area. My guess is that if both the shinkansen running underground exists in an area together with the subway, then speakers who want to be understood will choose the terms to clearly disambiguate one from the other.

For mathematical sets: If we group "trains that travel underground" to contain subway chikatetsu, then the shinkansen, which is technically a train, and which may travel at certain segments of its service routes going underground, then at those underground routes it may be grouped together in the same set.

Here's a translated article a shinkansen route built 40metres underground. Can't find the NHK link though.

1 year ago
Report Content

Yes, substantial portions of the Shinkansen run through tunnels. That doesn’t make it an underground railroad, and it certainly doesn’t make it a subway.

1 year ago
Report Content
Level: 163

I think I understand now, thank you both for your explanation!

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana