Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Level: 163

What is the difference between and ロック?

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1180

is a lock (on a door), or "lock and key" as a set

ロック is a lock, or rock (as in rock music)

If used to mean a lock they are basically the same.

1 year ago
Report Content

Do you have any examples of being used to mean lock-and-key set? I’m not familiar with this usage.

Thanks.

1 year ago
Report Content

There's a wikipedia article about .

(じょうまえ、: lock and key)とは(じょう、: lock ロック)と(かぎ、: key キー)をセットにしたものの[1]。などをざすけられているといい、それをしてするためのという[1]。

While I also see a dictionary entry linking to colloquial usage

じょうまえ ヂヤウマヘ [0]【】「」の

I once saw a video on the explanation of and its history. The old door locks were usually one wooden block, that is used like a bolt which is put onto the back of the door.

The above picture, in the lowest wooden block is the sliding contraption for locking the door, there's no key. There are also old ones which are just the wooden block (removable) being put on top of the handle (in place of the position of the two horizontal wooden bars nailed on the door) to achieve the same effect of locking.

Hence the ける, "to hang", expression used for lock, "hanging the lock on the door".

As locks become more sophisticated as we modernize, the term is used to refer to both the complete set of lock and key that's the later evolution of locks (for those who can afford it).

No reference to video or more older references, so it's a plausible historical explanation I've heard so far.

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1180

Do you have any examples of being used to mean lock-and-key set? I’m not familiar with this usage.

Thanks.

From here:

http://henshu-wg0.jspe.or.jp/2...

In the section

This:
「また,『』というのはのセットのことをします.」

The "lock" usage seems to be the more common usage, whereas "lock and key as a set" seems to be the less common technical usage.

Here's another example. They translate it as "lockset" (including both the lock and the key). Again, it's the technical usage.

で「lockset」です。つまり、「」と「」のセットを「」とぶのです。」

http://key-and-lock.joo-hoo.co...

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana