Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Kanji Index Improvements

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

MrCharms
Level: 693
The way I am choosing which kanjis to learn next (in addition to more general categories like JLPT levels) is by looking at how many words I already studied that uses any given kanji.
Currently, I have to filter studied kanji and then one by one hover over them and click to view them in the dictionary (sidenote: instead of just clicking the kanji which is possible almost everywhere within renshuu). In there, I then count my known words and if its more than a couple I'll add it to the schedule.

My first suggestion is a new extra information which shows this count directly. Additionally, sorting by that info would also allow me to identify less utilized kanji (in my known words) so that i can add some more words to ensure I see those kanji more often :)

My second suggestion would be to add additional filter(s) that will allow me to quickly find kanji where i manually disabled some readings, or I haven't studied all common readings yet (not those marked with x). (I disabled some readings when renshuu wanted me to learn them, but I didn't know any words yet.)
1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

Thanks for the suggestions!

As we near the end of the year and my family's move to Japan, most feature requests are not being considered until at least February (and we are settled down).

Before considering changes to the Kanji Index, it sounds (at first glance) that these features may be better added/adjusted in the Japanese Index tool. The Kanji Index was made a long time ago, and as you've noticed, it's more of a reference than an extensive tool.

The Japanese Index has much stronger filtering abilities (not so much sorting) that I imagine may help you a bit with what you're trying to do.

Please give it a try (it takes more time to get used to), and let me know if you feel that your requests are the same, or if the J.I. can handle some of it :)

1 year ago
Report Content
MrCharms

Thank you for your quick reply.

I think you are right about my suggestions being better suited to the japanese index. Unfortunatelly, the current filtering capabilities of the J.I. dont allow me to do what I wanted. So my suggestions are the same, just for the J.I. (although the sorting is missing there in general, but that is less useful to me)

Btw: The J.I. has the same problem with not being able to click the kanji to view them in the dictionary. But it seems that it also doesn't have any way of accessing it conviently.

No worries, I'm not in a hurry :)

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

For the "open up in dictionary", what is the primary information and/or actions you are getting out of the dictionary (that could possibly be added into the Index)?

1 year ago
Report Content
MrCharms

I mainly use the dictionary during that time (and in kanji schedules) to confirm whether i should know a reading or not. I mainly just look up the words using those readings.

• If I don't know any of them and no words are in a schedule, I disable the reading (by marking it unknown as suggested some time ago on the forums)
  • If I don't know any of them, but atleast 1 word is in a schedule, I basically shrug and think to my self "no wonder" and be fine with now knowing it yet
  • If I know at least one, I glance over them and think "ohh, right". If its used in a lot of words I already know (like 10+) then I feel stupid :)

Regarding what to information to add:

• Clickable Kanji that take me straight to the dictionary (instead of clicking some readings, clicking 'Look up in the dictionary' and possibly choosing between multiple kanji and clicking that one I actually want...) (btw: here it is working fine and it looks the same)
  • Small subscript counter for each reading showing the number of known/scheduled words that use this reading (separate please)

Regarding actions to add:

• Activate all readings of all shown kanji that have atleast X known/scheduled words (gray + disabled)
  • Disable all enabled readings (white instead of gray) of all shown kanji that have less than X known/scheduled words

Additional filters for Kanji:

• Used/not used in known/scheduled words
1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

Got it, thanks! So, as most of these are actually feature/additions, I cannot add them at the moment. However, I did make the kanji clickable - this was not intended behavior, and has been fixed.

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana