Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Calming J-Music with lyrics

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

マ×
Level: 103

Hi,

Because my memory is mostly auditory, using music is very helpful to learn a new language.

The thing is, I know nothing about J-music that isn't moe nor emo, and those vibes aren't my cup of tea. But, because they are the most popular online and the only names I know, that's all I get when I try to find some music.

So, if some of you have any recommandation for J-music that have interesting lyrics, I'd be pleased to take note!

I love every musical genre, so the question isn't about that, but about the lyrics and the vibe.

Thank you for reading !

1 year ago
Report Content
Nanase
Level: 540

There is a lot of great japanese music, I suggest looking up popular bands by genre or decade, depending on your preference, also you can download a japan radio app, personally I like using the radio better you hear a lot more variety and can even use google mic to track down what your listening to (though it doesn't always work).

Here are a few good starter bands/singers you can try;

• Mr. Children (pop rock)
  • Ayumi Hamasaki (pop)
  • Koda Kumi (r&b)
  • The Yellow Monkey (rock)
  • Baby Kiy (pop rock)
  • Seiko Matsura (pop)
  • Happy End (folk rock)

There are many more that I could list, but it would be a long post.

Also you could check out some anime openings and endings, they use a lot of great bands that get good air time.

Hope this helps.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

She doesn't do any new songs at the moment, but I have always been a fan of Angela Aki. Her voice is very clear, and I've always enjoyed her music. As a (non-learning) bonus, she is half-American, so each of her albums include a couple of English songs in them.

1 year ago
Report Content

The former (Ministry of Education), now part of MEXT (), commissioned a number of educational songs for children. Many of these became quite popular and are still familiar tunes today. Both the vocabulary and the vocal range are very accessible, so they are great for Japanese language learning. I wish I could find on online resource that covers these. Maybe someone else knows?

1 year ago
Report Content
マ×

ありがとう!

I sometimes listen to the radio station J1 gold for some oldies, and a japanese version of a youtube kids song chanel.

That's all I know for now, with some old anime opening from the time I watched them.

I love to unearth music so I admit I asked mostly because of that... I always enjoyed J-music, but now that I learn japanese (and get older...) I wish to find songs enjoyable both with sounds and lyrics..... I love koto music the most, but there's no lyrics!

1 year ago
Report Content
Michimichi
Level: 176

I recommend the song 'Subtitle' by Official Hige Dandism. It's from a movie called 'Silent' and I highly recommend you to watch the movie as well (it came out a few months ago), if you're interested. The lyrics of the song will reach you even more if you watch the movie and the song is so touching. I cry whenever I listen to this song not because it's sad, but because the lyrics are amazing and it just reminds me of the movie, too. I hope you check it out! ^^

1 year ago
Report Content
CatWithAKeyboard
Level: 49

I would humbly suggest looking into Susumu Hirasawa/! His music is genuinely incredible imo; very melodic and dense and his voice is very pretty as well. His lyrics can get a little trippy and put there but personally that's something I enjoy. I'd suggest starting with Technique of Relief/ or Aurora

12 months ago
Report Content
おりゃ
Level: 153

Hello!

I recently found the music group "Seven Billion Dots" (Album "Hope"), and almost every song in the playlist stayed in my heart. I am not very good at Japanese (yet :D), but there are parts in English that convey the song's meaning. ("Fingers crossed", "Nightmare" I liked the most). And the melodies are so bright and inspiring too. When you listen to them on the way to, for example, university, you feel more strength and energy and almost start flying instead of walking. This music made exams days better .

Also there is music group "ONE N' ONLY". Their songs are inspiring and uplifting too. My favourites are "Step up", "Don't worry". There are few moments in their music that remind me of k-pop for some reason.

Besides new music can be discovered among Japanese dramas' soundtracks. I really liked the main theme from "Sherlock. Untold stories". But there is no lyrics though - it is violin music. But it is fabulous.

9 months ago
Report Content
しひろ
Level: 222

I would definitely say a lot of good Japanese music usually have thought provoking or well written lyrics.

If you haven't already take a listen (or look?) at the RADWIMPS soundtrack for the previous 2 movies Kimi no Na Wa and Tenki no Ko.

If you want more neutral music ('emo' stuff which Japanese music has plenty of) try the popular Utada Hikaru's older music. And MONDO GROSSO particularly the hit song 'Labyrinth'.

9 months ago
Report Content
マ×

Also there is music group "ONE N' ONLY". Their songs are inspiring and uplifting too. My favourites are "Step up", "Don't worry". There are few moments in their music that remind me of k-pop for some reason.

Their style is soooo k-pop-ish ! Not the vibe I was asking for, but that's very surprising to listen to this kind of music with japanese vocals.

Thanks for all the suggestions in this topic.

9 months ago
Report Content
すねだ
Level: 1402

Maybe bands like Bump of Chicken, Saucy dog, my hair is bad or mrs. green apple might interest you. Tokumaru Shugo or the tenniscoats are nice if you are more into singer songwriter type stuff.I have also been enjoying lately but that is not necessarily calm haha

9 months ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana