Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Kanji: do I really need to learn the onyomi/kunyomi readings?

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Page: 1 of 2

マイコー
Level: 262

(These are my personal opinions. As always, renshuu lets you study in whatever way works best for you.)

Many people wonder: when learning kanji on renshuu (or some other platform), whether or not it's worth learning what seems like a list of arbitrary readings for each kanji character. (By the way, if you don't know what kanji readings are, check out our Kanji Basics lesson under Resources > Japanese Basics in the menu)

While there are different ways to reach this, it is essential for long-term learning that you end up having a mental map of readings for each kanji.

(Check out the bottom of the post for the two main ways that people do this)

What do readings help with?

It is the hope of most learners that one reaches the point where learning switches over from an active to a passive activity. In other words, you stop learning lists of words and expressions, and start to pick them up the way that native speakers do: through exposure to them in conversation, reading, etc. This may seem like an impossible dream to someone who is only a couple hundred words into the language, but it is a step that all learners reach if they stick with it.

Reading

As you most likely know, kanji have one or more meanings that can be used to help figure out the meaning of a written word, even if you've never seen it before. So if you run into the word (こんや), knowledge of those two kanji will make you think "now + night... this probably means tonight." Additionally, since words are usually parts of sentences and paragraphs, the context of the passage will help even more with the meaning of the term.

One might think that the meaning is enough, then - no knowledge of readings was needed to identify that word. However, just knowing the meaning of the term does nothing in terms of letting you use the term yourself (either in writing or speaking). If you're typing out the word, using the "reading" of the term is always going to be faster than a writing pad that lets you input the kanji directly. It's more obvious with speaking - if you cannot read it, you cannot say it.

Now, if you are thinking "I never plan on writing or speaking, I just want to consume Japanese media", I'd strongly recommend that you consider the possibility that you'll want to write or speak in the future. Relative to how much time you will put in learning to read Japanese, the time to learn to write it (even if it's just on computers) is tiny in comparison.

Listening

You might not believe me now, but knowing the readings of kanjis plays a HUGE part in listening skills, especially as you progress into intermediate and advanced levels.

Let's think about what listening actually is - it's hearing the "readings" of a string of words. Let's return to our example, /こんや. If you do not have a firm grasp on the word to begin with, when you hear the word, you're going to hear it in one of two ways:

こ - ん - や = three syllables, each with no inherent meaning as individual sounds.

こん や = two readings, each of which your brain can link up with potential readings from known kanji.

や might be a word you studied as a suffix, but こん doesn't exist on its own. In other words, without prior knowledge about the kanji and readings, there are few strategies (other than relying purely on context) that you have to figure out what this word means. However, if you have こん in your head as , and や as , you're going to have a better chance at figuring out what it is.

And of course, it's pretty hard to tell someone to stop talking while you take a word and look it up, so we need to give our heads every advantage possible in decoding the language as we receive it. Anyone that has used Japanese in real life has probably had the experience where taking too much time to understand someone and come up with an answer destroyed the flow of the conversation.

I was a teacher in Japan for many years, and was part of teacher meetings as a daily part of my job. One day in March, a teacher was talking, and a word was spoken that I had never heard before: しんがっき.

It came as a shock when my brain said "oh, I know what that means."

しん / がっ (collapsed form of がく ) / き

しん is used by many kanji, but is overwhelming used as (new), especially when at the beginning of a word.

がく is a rarer reading (less kanji use it), so given that I was at a school, (がく) actually appeared in my head.

き is a tricky one. If you type this into renshuu's kanji dictionary, you will get a HUGE list of kanji, including many that you learn in your first year or two of learning Japanese. However, the other two kanji plus some contextual clues led me to the most likely candidate. It was March, which meant the new school year (and school semester) was starting in April. Additionally, the discussion was discussing schedule matters. So "new + school + ____", I guessed that き was (period).

Once you have a firm grasp on them with repeated exposure, kanji will literally leap into your head and help you figure out what you're hearing.

As a summary, these two processes are examples of passive learning. With this, you will transition away from looking up every new word, and start learning more Japanese just by being exposed to it. It's pretty awesome, and is completely attainable for all learners.

So, how should I learn readings?

There are two key methods for learning readings, both possible on renshuu:

1. Kanji meanings + readings -> vocabulary review

This is my preferred method, but not ideal for everyone.

A. In your kanji schedule, have the meaning, kunyomi, and onyomi study vectors enabled.

B. Through your schedule, learn and review the kanji readings as elements of the kanji.

C. In your vocabulary schedule(s), any words with those kanji will start automatically offering up kanji questions, so you can review and reinforcement through your vocabulary studies.

+ Helps make a very clear mapping of kanji to readings

+ Makes unique readings (those are the ones, like /きょう, where the kanji in the word do not link up with official readings) easier to spot.

+ Since you learn the original readings, it is an easier jump to collapsed/contracted forms (がく > がっ).

- Depending on your vocabulary contents, you may learn readings that you are not immediately exposed to within your vocabulary studies.

2. Kanji meanings (no readings) -> vocabulary review

A. In your kanji schedule, have the meaning vector only.

B. So, your kanji schedules focuses only on meaning.

C. In your vocabulary schedule(s), you will be exposed to the readings through the vocabulary terms that use them.

+ You do not have to learn the readings in isolation (which can be hard for many people)

+ You do not spend as much time on the less common readings

- Unique readings are harder to notice

- Rarer readings will not be reinforced as often

- Collapsed readings are harder to synthesize into your knowledge. (A collapsed/contracted reading is one that gets shortened when used within a word with multiple kanji in it. For example, has the reading がく, but it is read as がっこう in (gakk instead of gaku). So if you learn in your kanji schedule, then in your vocabulary schedule, it will not be obvious if がっ (gakk) is a shortened form of がく, がつ, etc.)

However, both styles reach the same goal: the mapping of kanji to readings. So choose what works best for you!

P.S. - If you would like learning materials which are built around "learn a kanji, then immediately learn a group of words that use that kanji", consider going into Resources > Lesson Center, then searching for renshuu's "kanji kentei" materials. They'll be perfect for you, and they follow the kanji progression used in schools in Japan.

11 months ago
Report Content

Of course you don’t need to. Nobody is going to force you to learn readings if you don’t want to.
But you should.

There’s a very popular, and in my opinion misguided, methodology out there for learning kanji that I won’t name. It advocates learning the “meanings” of kanji characters without worrying about the readings. I feel that it is misguided for two reasons: (1) to retain what you learn you need to use it, and (2) it obscures the relationships between characters, making them harder to remember.

To retain what we learn, we need to use it, and the way we use kanji is in words. Every word is an opportunity to reinforce not only the kanji readings but their meanings. Sure, you can learn that たんじょうび means birthday without ever learning the readings of , , and , but if you know them both they really help to reinforce each other.

If instead, you try to memorize 2000 stories without tying them back to anything, you’re liable to get overwhelmed with reviews halfway and give up. This is a huge waste of effort that doesn’t get you anywhere closer to reading or speaking Japanese.

Secondly, kanji characters do not exist in isolation. Most are compounds of other characters and character components. Especially important are phono-semantic compounds, where half the character signifies (vaguely) the meaning, and the other half indicates the reading. You won’t pick up on that if you ignore readings, making the job much harder than it needs to be.

11 months ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1205

Will just mention one thing that can scare some people away from learning the readings: Some kanji have a large number of different readings listed for them.

For example: has 11 readings listed
Kunyomi: い (く), ゆ (く), おこな (う), -ゆ (き)x, -ゆきx, -い (き)x, -いきx, おこ (なう)x
Onyomi: コウ, ギョウ, アン

I'll just emphasize that when you first learn the readings for a kanji, you don't need to learn ALL of the readings. You only need to worry about the most common readings. For it would just be these 2:

Kunyomi: い (く)

Onyomi: コウ

Those will probably cover 95% of what you read. As your vocabulary expands, you can pick up the other readings.

11 months ago
Report Content

And in case it wasn’t obvious, those little subscripts after each reading are an indication of how common it is.

11 months ago
Report Content
Maximilian1st
Level: 13

The SUBSCRIPTS! Been wondering all the time what they were supposed to do. Never tried to click on them either haha

11 months ago
Report Content
ルミエル
Level: 239

First of all, what subscripts are you guys talking about? 😅

Now, I've been learning using the standard schedules automatically created by renshuu, the ones using N5-N4 materials. I've been studying readings as well as meanings for the Kanji, which does indeed make me immediately think of one or two readings when I see a kanji. That's useful, but I feel like there is too much for me to keep track of when there are a lot of readings to a kanji. I often find myself losing track of what the kanji I'm learning looks like as I try to keep track of the readings.

I also find that it can be a bit confusing to learn vocabulary without the kanji first, when the word schedule includes words with kanji that you havent learned yet. I'm pretty sure that there is a setting to show kanji for words where you havent learned the kanji yet, but I'm really drawn to the Kanji Kentei style of learning kanji -> learning vocabulary with that kanji.

So my plan currently is to just go through the Kanji Kentei level 10 kanji lessons, one by one, in tandem with the word lessons, and then adding each "step" that I do to a schedule. I would separate out these schedules by levels of the Kanji Kentei (starting from level 10). Is this a good way of doing it?

I was also planning to only do meanings for the kanji and getting the readings from the vocabulary. Ideally, since I started out by learning readings, I would like to start including readings of the kanji in the schedules as I become more comfortable with them. Is there some way to set a vector to only be valid at a certain mastery level? So you only get reading questions for kanji at master level 50 or something.

10 months ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1205

First of all, what subscripts are you guys talking about? 😅

Now, I've been learning using the standard schedules automatically created by renshuu, the ones using N5-N4 materials. I've been studying readings as well as meanings for the Kanji, which does indeed make me immediately think of one or two readings when I see a kanji. That's useful, but I feel like there is too much for me to keep track of when there are a lot of readings to a kanji. I often find myself losing track of what the kanji I'm learning looks like as I try to keep track of the readings.

I also find that it can be a bit confusing to learn vocabulary without the kanji first, when the word schedule includes words with kanji that you havent learned yet. I'm pretty sure that there is a setting to show kanji for words where you havent learned the kanji yet, but I'm really drawn to the Kanji Kentei style of learning kanji -> learning vocabulary with that kanji.

So my plan currently is to just go through the Kanji Kentei level 10 kanji lessons, one by one, in tandem with the word lessons, and then adding each "step" that I do to a schedule. I would separate out these schedules by levels of the Kanji Kentei (starting from level 10). Is this a good way of doing it?

I was also planning to only do meanings for the kanji and getting the readings from the vocabulary. Ideally, since I started out by learning readings, I would like to start including readings of the kanji in the schedules as I become more comfortable with them. Is there some way to set a vector to only be valid at a certain mastery level? So you only get reading questions for kanji at master level 50 or something.

If you go into the dictionary for the kanji, the readings have a subscript. If you hover over the subscript you will get a popup that tells you:

"These symbols denote when this reading is typically learned in a Japanese school.
: Primary school
: Middle School
: High School
x (or nothing): unknown, or not taught in the above school levels"

Following Kanji Kentei seems like a reasonable approach. It's worth a try. If it works for you, then it is a good approach. If it doesn't work for you, then it's a bad approach.

I don't believe there is any way (currently) to turn on vectors at a mastery level. One option that might be close to what you want is to create a separate schedule with the reading vectors. You could then either add the terms manually one by one, or by lesson to that schedule when you want to learn the readings.

10 months ago
Report Content
ルミエル

Thanks for the answer. I've checked out the Kanji Kentei materials and one thing that bugs me a bit is that the vocabulary that corresponds to to the kanji that you learn also includes other kanji that you havent learned yet. If the idea is to "learn a kanji -> learn related vocabulary", it feels like it would be best if you learn all the kanji involved in the vocabulary that is presented. That may just be me, though. I'm also a bit concerned that the materials will include a lot of words that arent very common, which may slow down my goal to be able to immerse myself in text.

I've gone back to using renshuu's default schedules (using the jlpt levels), but I've changed to only learning the kanji meanings. Dont know how well that will go, but I'll see. As a first impression, it is a bit weird to no to not be thinking of a reading when I see a kanji, but rather the english definition. However, it does make me more cognizant of the shape and meaning of the kanji than before. It also makes learning more effortless. Though, I do worry about the timeframe between learning a kanji's meaning and seeing the readings show up in my vocabulary schedules being too long. Ideally, for a good mapping between a kanji and its reading to be made in your mind, you'd see the reading in the vocabulary soon after you learned the kanji, right? Does anyone know if the N5, N4, etc kanji all show up in the corresponding vocabulary or if there are some that are stand-alone?

I've recently got an idea that goes something like this: I use the standard renshuu schedules, but I turn on the setting that displays unknown kanji in the words schedule and if I see an unknown kanji, I just immediately add it to my kanji schedule, which is also merged with the standard renshuu kanji schedules. Is this a good idea?

10 months ago
Report Content

I mean I understand why you may not want to learn them but they do come in handy. It helps shorten things out and like a few people have said you don't need to know every meaning to to a singular Kanji. Just try and focus on the main meanings and once you get comfortable then start branching out bit by bit. It can help lessen the stress of trying to understand everything in one go.

10 months ago
Report Content
マイコー

Thanks for the answer. I've checked out the Kanji Kentei materials and one thing that bugs me a bit is that the vocabulary that corresponds to to the kanji that you learn also includes other kanji that you havent learned yet. If the idea is to "learn a kanji -> learn related vocabulary", it feels like it would be best if you learn all the kanji involved in the vocabulary that is presented. That may just be me, though. I'm also a bit concerned that the materials will include a lot of words that arent very common, which may slow down my goal to be able to immerse myself in text.

I've gone back to using renshuu's default schedules (using the jlpt levels), but I've changed to only learning the kanji meanings. Dont know how well that will go, but I'll see. As a first impression, it is a bit weird to no to not be thinking of a reading when I see a kanji, but rather the english definition. However, it does make me more cognizant of the shape and meaning of the kanji than before. It also makes learning more effortless. Though, I do worry about the timeframe between learning a kanji's meaning and seeing the readings show up in my vocabulary schedules being too long. Ideally, for a good mapping between a kanji and its reading to be made in your mind, you'd see the reading in the vocabulary soon after you learned the kanji, right? Does anyone know if the N5, N4, etc kanji all show up in the corresponding vocabulary or if there are some that are stand-alone?

I've recently got an idea that goes something like this: I use the standard renshuu schedules, but I turn on the setting that displays unknown kanji in the words schedule and if I see an unknown kanji, I just immediately add it to my kanji schedule, which is also merged with the standard renshuu kanji schedules. Is this a good idea?

It is almost impossible to only include words that only show known kanji *and* cover every meaning that MEXT (Education Ministry) expects of students in Japan. This is not something unique to renshuu. For example, most kunyomi can and will have words introduced that only use the single kanji.

renshuu, for good measure (kanji kentei books do this as well, in varying amounts, as do most textbooks, such as genki) tries to get 2 words for every reading so you have a bit more "coverage" for that reading.

Onyomi readings, though, are typically shown in compounds with other kanji, so especially at beginning levels (such as 10-8), there are a significant number of readings that you need to know, but contain higher level kanji. renshuu handles this (as do most texts) but only quizzing you on the ones you know (with default renshuu settings).

A really good example of this is , etc. Their onyomi readings are extremely common as parts of the days of the week, and this kanji is taught at Level 10. However, , the middle kanji of all "day of the week" words, is taught at level 9. While there may be other words that contain the onyomi and only have level 10 kanji (although I bet they are rare), it is arguably much less beneficial to teach a rare word over one that is heard/seen almost every day.

That being said, all the vectors and settings for kanji are set up specifically so you can do what works best for you - I just wanted to point out that there are data issues with teaching kanji/words in the way you describe it.

As to the kanji/vocab matchups with n5/n5, etc.: that's a really good question. My guess is that you have some stragglers, but not many.

10 months ago
Report Content
ルミエル

I see, thanks for the detailed reply. Dont know how you manage to administrate the site, develop it and be so active in the community all at the same time 😅

I decided to stick to the standard renshuu schedules (JLPT), since I feel like they have a progression that is more relevant to everyday text and speech than the Kanji Kentei progression. Previously, I would use your first preferred method for learning kanji (1. Kanji meanings + readings -> vocabulary review), but I feel like there is too much to focus on between all the different readings, the meanings and the shape of the kanji. So, I'm trying out just using the meanings now, your second method (2. Kanji meanings (no readings) -> vocabulary review). However, whenever I encounter a new kanji in my vocabulary schedules, I immediately add it to my kanji schedule, even if it is N1 or even outside of the JLPT. My thought process is that I will see it often enough in the vocabulary that I've learned, since there is at least one word that uses it and I can just make a mental map between that word and the kanji. So I end up having a kanji schedule that is mixed with these additional kanji and the standard N5, N4, etc kanji. I've tried it for a bit and it feels OK, though I havent reached the point where they show up for review, yet. What do you think, is this a tenable approach or will I become overwhelmed with irrelevant kanji using this method? Should I just let the unknown kanji in my vocabulary be, instead?

10 months ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'm not sure how I do it, either!

As to whether it works out for you - that's up to you *laughs* I do know there are others that do what you do - it ultimately boils down to how much you feel comfortable reviewing on a day-to-day basis. As long as your relationship with learning/review doesn't turn to "ugh, I have to study study", then I'd say you're good.

10 months ago
Report Content
Anffy
Level: 29

Will just mention one thing that can scare some people away from learning the readings: Some kanji have a large number of different readings listed for them.

I'll just emphasize that when you first learn the readings for a kanji, you don't need to learn ALL of the readings. You only need to worry about the most common readings. For it would just be these 2:

Those will probably cover 95% of what you read. As your vocabulary expands, you can pick up the other readings.

Yes I am finding these really visually overwhelming. There is a preferences setting to "Hide rare kanji readings" which I turned on, but for this kanji I see the same 11 readings regardless of setting. Are none of these "rare" enough? It would be helpful to have that filter as a sliding scale perhaps based on the subscript, so that I could choose and hide everything more advanced. I don't see how to limit to the 2 key readings that are recommended above, but even reducing to 5 elementary readings would be better than 11. Right now I'm doing my kanji study in a different app because this is just too much data. (Also most readings seem arbitrarily gray vs a few in black... is this because the system thinks I know them, or I don't need to know them, or what? It's also a bit of a visual impediment.)

10 months ago
Report Content
マイコー

Yes I am finding these really visually overwhelming. There is a preferences setting to "Hide rare kanji readings" which I turned on, but for this kanji I see the same 11 readings regardless of setting. Are none of these "rare" enough? It would be helpful to have that filter as a sliding scale perhaps based on the subscript, so that I could choose and hide everything more advanced. I don't see how to limit to the 2 key readings that are recommended above, but even reducing to 5 elementary readings would be better than 11. Right now I'm doing my kanji study in a different app because this is just too much data. (Also most readings seem arbitrarily gray vs a few in black... is this because the system thinks I know them, or I don't need to know them, or what? It's also a bit of a visual impediment.)

I'd be happy to consider changes to this (it might actually be a bug, but I'll need screenshots for where the problem is occurring to confirm it), but if you could please post your request in the renshuu improvements forum (or the bugs/problem one), it'll make it easier to track it as a request (and I'd prefer to keep advice threads like this one separate). Thanks! Look forward to seeing it there.

10 months ago
Report Content
Kitt2
Level: 54

Of course you don’t need to. Nobody is going to force you to learn readings if you don’t want to.
But you should.

There’s a very popular, and in my opinion misguided, methodology out there for learning kanji that I won’t name. It advocates learning the “meanings” of kanji characters without worrying about the readings. I feel that it is misguided for two reasons: (1) to retain what you learn you need to use it, and (2) it obscures the relationships between characters, making them harder to remember.

To retain what we learn, we need to use it, and the way we use kanji is in words. Every word is an opportunity to reinforce not only the kanji readings but their meanings. Sure, you can learn that たんじょうび means birthday without ever learning the readings of , , and , but if you know them both they really help to reinforce each other.

If instead, you try to memorize 2000 stories without tying them back to anything, you’re liable to get overwhelmed with reviews halfway and give up. This is a huge waste of effort that doesn’t get you anywhere closer to reading or speaking Japanese.

Secondly, kanji characters do not exist in isolation. Most are compounds of other characters and character components. Especially important are phono-semantic compounds, where half the character signifies (vaguely) the meaning, and the other half indicates the reading. You won’t pick up on that if you ignore readings, making the job much harder than it needs to be.

My two cents on this one... James Heisig's RTK, which is what I'm assuming you're referring to is really great if you have to write the Kanji. I originally started with it and then gave up because I wasn't really using anything outside of the reviews. Sure I could look at a word and kinda figure out what it meant, but I couldn't actually read it. Fast forward to current day and I'm now grateful for the Kanji that I have learnt via RTK because I have to write in Kanji every day; whilst I can read a bunch, when it comes to writing I still struggle on the ones that I haven't learnt via RTK. Which is why I now find myself going back to RTK to learn the writing because this has been the most effective method for me.

So perhaps to caveat RTK. I think it's great if you're writing, however if your end goal is to just read and understand, then it's perhaps not so useful. So it's important for individuals to think about what their end goals are before writing off resources.

4 months ago
Report Content
cmertb
Level: 308

Not learning kanji readings explicitly is not the same as not learning readings. It's unavoidable that you pick up readings while learning words. Heisig's "Remembering the Kanji", the method that pioneered this approach, has helped numerous people, who now swear by it. There are now some other methods that use a similar approach of leaving the readings until later. So we can safely say these methods work.

That said, as usual, there is a certain cost. RTK, for one, is not for the faint of heart. The reason is that while you're doing it, you aren't really progressing in Japanese -- you are merely laying a foundation for future progress, with no visible effects here and now. If you can't handle that, don't even try it. In particular, if we were to tie it to JLPT, use RTK if you're going straight for N1, since it would be an overkill for any levels below it.

However, the obvious benefit is that it is somewhat more efficient in the long term, i.e. you will end up spending less time overall compared to methods where you also learn readings on top of everything. The reason depends on which alternative method you use. If it's the naive method of memorizing readings for the kanji on their own, on top of writing the kanji over and over, then it doubles or triples the cognitive load, and slows you down significantly -- I doubt anyone would recommend this approach these days, but I know there are learners who stumble into it and then suffer. If it's a more sophisticated method of learning words for a particular kanji you start studying, you typically end up going in the order of more useful words to less useful, and on the way you lose the benefit of sorting kanji by radical and going from graphically simpler to more complex ones. This haphazard introduction of radicals again increases the cognitive load to some degree.

In short, focus on fewer things at the same time increases the overall rate of memorization.

In the end, you'll get your jouyou kanji learned anyway, but if you have the willpower, the time, and the faith, you can get there faster by leaving the readings until later.

3 months ago
Report Content

I understand the importance of learning the readings of kanji, but I have a very hard time with onyomi. I can't seem to retain the association with a kanji and its onyomi reading, and it's becoming frustrating to struggle with this when I generally have no trouble with their kunyomi and meaning. Do you have any advice more specific to onyomi readings that could help?

3 months ago
Report Content
アルゼン
Level: 688

I understand the importance of learning the readings of kanji, but I have a very hard time with onyomi. I can't seem to retain the association with a kanji and its onyomi reading, and it's becoming frustrating to struggle with this when I generally have no trouble with their kunyomi and meaning. Do you have any advice more specific to onyomi readings that could help?

I had the same problem. My advice is that you try to memorize vocabulary, it really helps.

For example:
I struggled a lot with the onyomi of these 4 kanji: , , and . I had already learned their kunyomi but there was no way to memorize their "on" readings and I always mixed them up. Then I found this 4-character compound word, 春夏秋冬 (しゅんしゅうとう) and it was the solution, with one word I learned 4 "on" readings.

You can separate them to make shorter words: 春夏 (しゅん), 秋冬 (しゅうとう).

Add more words later to reinforce learning such as:

春画 (しゅんが), 夏期 (き), 今秋 (こんしゅう) , 冬眠 (とうみん).

(Try to link them to commonly used kanji that you are comfortable working with and according to your own knowledge).

Also, in this particular case you can add a suffix (means "season"):

春季 (しゅんき), 夏季 (き), 秋季 (しゅうき), 冬季 (とうき).

Or a prefix: 昨春 (さくしゅん), 昨夏 (さく), 昨秋 (さくしゅう), 昨冬 (さくとう)

By putting some of these words in a vocabulary schedule, you will be able to learn the on-yomi of the kanji and increase your vocabulary at the same time.

This is an example that worked very well for me to learn the onyomi of a kanji, since it is easier to memorize by studying the words they form. On the other hand, studying kanji individually is a more boring and tedious process, and I do not mean that you should not study kanji lists but that it helps a lot to add vocabulary lists.

3 months ago
Report Content
heiwatalks
Level: 47

My two cents: if you are asking wether or not you should learn something, then

a) you are probably not at the level where it matters all that much or

b) it doesn’t matter to you (that’s okay!)

If it is A, yes, there is SO MUCH to learn. And if you are at a point where you are questioning wether or not you SHOULD be learning onyomi/kunyomi readings, I would highly suggest coming at it with genuine curiosity instead of “I need to make flashcards” notice how some simple kanji are said differently depending on where they are.

Example:
in will be 「もく」but if you point at a cedar tree you would say 「ひの」?

Rinse and repeat forever 🙃

Some tough love: if it is B and it doesn’t matter to you, then nothing any of us say will change that. To learn anything worth learning, the very first requirement is to understand why it’s worth learning for you, personally.

Personally, I have never stressed about learning onyomi and kunyomi readings. They come up as they come up and I learn because I’m super nerdy and curious about it. But otherwise, it doesn’t matter to me. Why? Because I can get by without them… until I can’t. And it’s only at that moment that I learn and remember.

To add: Some onyomi and kunyomi readings you will never hear or read in real life. But some, if you study Japanese long enough, will come up so often you can’t ignore them anymore.

Just my two cents.

Happy studying!

3 months ago
Report Content
Level: 252

As a native Chinese speaker, here's my suggestion:

When learning the onyomi readings, pretend that you are learning Chinese, as onyomi readings tend to sound very similar to how the words are pronounced in Mandarin (or some other Chinese dialect). It would also help to keep in mind that many conceptually unrelated words in Chinese have the same sounds. As such, rote learning is unavoidable.

1 day ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana