Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - translation center – new language suggestions

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

アンタイネ
Level: 305

hello. i hope everyone is well. i have been looking at the translation center and i enjoy helping with translations. however, i feel like there is space for more languages. i do not know how long it takes to implement the features, so please pardon that if i sound insensitive.

i was thinking that adding chinese and korean would be beneficial, since i've noticed many of our users are chinese / korean and japanese tends to be higher on the list of studied languages there from what i've been told. i've also seen a substantial amount of vietnamese users, malay users, and some thai users. adding these languages may be beneficial. thank you.

6 months ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

The main reason that other languages do not exist is because we do not have a dictionary data file for that language from Japanese to the language.

renshuu itself (the app, without any of the definitions for words, grammar, kanji, etc.) is several thousand words/sentences long, and on top of that, just for the most basic of quizzes, you really need a few thousand definitions for words, kanji, etc. Some of the "major" languages already in there are 10s of thousands of definitions, and English still pops up all over the place while studying.

So without finding some copyright-free or open-source database file with Japanese->Korean (for example) definitions, there's not enough of a base upon which to build user-contributed translations. I would absolutely love to have more languages available, but I do not want volunteers to potentially put hours of work into a language, only for it to never appear available in renshuu because it does not cross over a minimal threshold for amount of data.

I believe that for the languages you mentioned and others, the most effective use of time at the moment is to try and look for those dictionary files. It is hard for me to do so because any page/service maintaining such a thing is most likely not written in English.

A few requirements:

1. We'd need something that does not have usage restrictions on it (copyright, licensing, etc.)

2. I am not looking to add machine-translated dictionary data

3. It needs to be an actual file that can be downloaded, and not a "free Japanese->Korean dictionary site" that has a lookup mechanism.

One method that has resulted in success with other languages is finding apps in the Play Store or App Store that are dictionary apps for Japanese>Korean, and then look into the app's details/information and see where they got their data from.

6 months ago
Report Content
アンタイネ
Level: 305

The main reason that other languages do not exist is because we do not have a dictionary data file for that language from Japanese to the language.

renshuu itself (the app, without any of the definitions for words, grammar, kanji, etc.) is several thousand words/sentences long, and on top of that, just for the most basic of quizzes, you really need a few thousand definitions for words, kanji, etc. Some of the "major" languages already in there are 10s of thousands of definitions, and English still pops up all over the place while studying.

So without finding some copyright-free or open-source database file with Japanese->Korean (for example) definitions, there's not enough of a base upon which to build user-contributed translations. I would absolutely love to have more languages available, but I do not want volunteers to potentially put hours of work into a language, only for it to never appear available in renshuu because it does not cross over a minimal threshold for amount of data.

I believe that for the languages you mentioned and others, the most effective use of time at the moment is to try and look for those dictionary files. It is hard for me to do so because any page/service maintaining such a thing is most likely not written in English.

A few requirements:

1. We'd need something that does not have usage restrictions on it (copyright, licensing, etc.)

2. I am not looking to add machine-translated dictionary data

3. It needs to be an actual file that can be downloaded, and not a "free Japanese->Korean dictionary site" that has a lookup mechanism.

One method that has resulted in success with other languages is finding apps in the Play Store or App Store that are dictionary apps for Japanese>Korean, and then look into the app's details/information and see where they got their data from.

thank you for this explanation! i will do my best to take a look around and see if i can help

6 months ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana