Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - renshuu updates - February 2024

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements

マイコー
Level: 262

This is a fairly extensive update. Please see the video below for a visual introduction to the main (but not all) changes.

Additionally: a server migration is taking place today (February 6th). So if you do not see these features yet, just wait until you are automatically moved to the new server!

Major changes

〇 The schedules on your dashboard have been simplified, with additional links for your convenience. In particular, a "View terms" link will let you easily see and filter the materials in your schedule, while "Lessons in the schedule" will appear for lesson-based schedules (such as Japanese Basics), letting you view all the lessons in the schedule and revisiting older lessons.

〇 The Manage your Schedules page has been completely redone, making it much easier to add/remove schedules, change what you're studying, and see how far you are in your studies!

〇 Conjugation schedules (verbs and adjectives) are now available! Visit "Manage your schedules", then go to All Schedules to find and add them.

〇 Lesson Center has been renamed Community Lists, Japanese Basics to Japanese Lessons, and Japanese Index (the tool) to Advanced Search

〇 The dashboard has been cleaned up! Several links are now available under "Me" in the app's menu, and all renshuu pro information (subscription info, settings, etc.) will always be available under Support renshuu > renshuu pro

〇 Our Japanese Lessons page now has links to the recorded discord events when I teach the grammar on renshuu! More added (almost) every week!

Features

〇 Under Quizzing (in Settings), you can now disable the panels that show information about your incorrect answers
〇 Audio speed - search for "audio" in the settings panel in order to slow down renshuu's recorded audio.
〇 Sentence notes - you can now add and view notes on sentences in renshuu's library!

Improvements/Changes

〇 Better removal of romaji terms from definitions when it makes the question too easy
〇 In Settings > Vocabulary > Customize history, 1st edition of Genki replaced with 3rd edition
〇 Searching terms by mastery level (in Advanced Search) more accurate now
〇 A huge number of definition (vocabulary) improvements, expansions, better simple defiition support, and better hiding of romaji in definition answers (in quizzing)
〇 Faster loadup of kanji mnemonics
〇 Artist attributions on Kao coins
〇 When available, audio icon available on Sentence basic check questions.
〇 Better handling on 'Write to reinforce' when dealing with conjugated answers with kanji.
〇 There are now "classic" versions of shiritori that only allow nouns!
〇 Removed user hankos from kanji mnemonic downloads - caused saving issues in many cases
〇 In Tools > Advanced Search, see all the kanji you know at a glance!
〇 "Preview post" button removed, since the input field is already formatted
〇 Brought visual look of forum threads in line with Community panel
〇 Visual updates to haiku, word garden, and question corner pages
〇 Minor visual improvements to schedule boxes on the dashboard
〇 Example sentences can now appear for multiple versions of the same term! As long as the reading and definition are the same, the system will automatically swap out the word. For example, both かける and ける will show the same example sentences.
〇 Settings panel adjusted (Lessons category removed, options being shifted to Vocab or Kanji categories)
〇 A lot of icons swapped over to renshuu-made hand-drawn artwork.
〇 Usage notes for words will also show your notes, even if you have the category deselected for other users.
〇 Usage notes with word links will allow you to link a single usage note up to multiple words. Works when editing previously made notes, too.
〇 Grammar usage notes now have language and privacy settings.
〇 Better back/close button functionality when going through multiple grammar pages in a row.
〇 Users who are logged in via a Google account can now also set a password through the settings panel.
〇 You can now bookmark and add-to-schedule from a list's page.
〇 When editing a list, it can be marked as finished. This will hide it when using tools in discord, as well as when listing the lessons in the add/remove box
〇 Definition hints available for vocabulary writing practice questions
〇 Link to adjust mastery added to ... menu in vocab dictionary
〇 Our learning events on Discord that follow along the Japanese Basics lessons are now available on the Japanese Basics page!
〇 Improved layout on compact view for schedules
〇 If you search a kanji compound in the kanji dictionary, it will search for both/all kanji.
〇 On grammar expression quizzes in Community Lists, renshuu pro users can now choose to limit the number of questions per expression (due to a larger pool of questions to draw from).
〇 You can now add terms and lessons to schedules that are fixed on a lesson-by-lesson path (most of the ones that renshuu has).
〇 Counter punch now has correct/incorrect markers in addition to colors (after answering) to help differentiate choices.
〇 Grammar search (in dictionary) catches more variations of some expressions (Ex. としては now returns page for として)
〇 Garden - when placing a new item, always appears in the center, on top of everything else.
〇 + buttons to expand definitions in quizzes appear more consistently
〇 Full rewrite of the internals of the "Complete the Vocab" kanji quiz mode, making it more robust for alternate (but correct) answers
〇 (kokuji) marker in kanji definitions de-emphasized. (hiragana) and (katakana) de-emphasized on kana cards
〇 Text Analyzer gives more alternate word selections in new texts
〇 Ordering of the info for conjugation introductions has been changed. In addition, a note has been added to all ぬ verb cards to note the usage of しぬ.
〇 Easier to identify new messages in inbox
〇 Pencil icons for 'customize definition' moved to ... dropdown menu (as it's very rarely used)
〇 Better catching of empty answers when accidentally pressing enter/submit on fill-in-the-blank answers
〇 Listening questions (sentences) will allow you to dictate any words before the answer (instead of just the answer part of the sentence)

Content

〇 Just shy of 10,000! new vocabulary dictionary entries added
〇 A huge number of N4-level lessons under Japanese Lessons (formerly Japanese Basics) have been added, with the end of N4 coming this spring!
〇 We've begun a large-scale replacement of icons on renshuu with new, hand-drawn ones! We're not yet done, but you'll start to see much more colorful icons throughout the system!

Fixes

〇 Some alternate conversions in the Text Analyzer were being attached to the wrong words. Will appear correctly in any new parsings.
〇 Some sentences in word dictionary not appearing when using the page selector
〇 Lesson selector ordering on quiz finished page
〇 Add a mnemonic link for kana under the Kana Chart
〇 Cancel button for mnemonic on Kana Chart
〇 Quote post wasn't working on grammar library pages
〇 Kanji modes selected to not appear on mobile behave better
〇 Can again upload images with the Android app
〇 The "Alternate readings" for vocabulary terms have been rebuild (there were some gaps after the recent dictionary update)
〇 Setting to show simple definitions in dictionary had not been working.
〇 Fill-in-the-blank preferences for vocabulary schedules where not always being saved.
〇 Kanji mnemonics will display your mnemonics first, if present.
〇 When changing writing box size, the setting did not always stick
〇 Game was starting prematurely in Quick Draw if you tried to change the drawing speed.
〇 Challenges filter better based on settings, and more sentence-based challenges
〇 Improvements on hiding romaji in question answers, as well as slight improvements in the definition simplifying process.

Experimental features (under the Experimental category in Settings)

〇 Open writing pad by default on fill-in-the-blank questions
〇 New kanji reading setting - replacing the "rare kanji readings" setting, the new one let's you show/hide kanji readings based on if and when they are taught in Japanese schools.
〇 New setting which will show furigana above unknown kanji in multiple choice answer boxes.
〇 Wanikani data import!

Video introduction to renshuu features (Vimeo)

3 months ago
Report Content
エリーゼ
Level: 413

I love the new changes. My favorite thing is being able to individually freeze specific schedules.

So much hard work has been put into this server!

3 months ago
Report Content
espiacent
Level: 760

Looking great, Michael!

Thanks for all the work and love you and Saki are putting into renshuu!

3 months ago
Report Content
SgFlaxy
Level: 101

3 months ago
Report Content

でした! これはアプリです!

3 months ago
Report Content

I’ve never seen a free app be so loaded with such great content for learning/ it’s crazy. i’m so happy i found Renshuu!

3 months ago
Report Content
Majimajingjing
Level: 245

I’ve never seen a free app be so loaded with such great content for learning/ it’s crazy. i’m so happy i found Renshuu!

Agree 😭😭😭😭 Also Kao chan is the cutest

3 months ago
Report Content
Level: 340

Wow, thank you for the huge update! Example sentences can now appear for multiple versions of the same term is something I'm extremely grateful for. I'm excited to check out the past Discord events. And somehow the little running Kao chan for loading fills me with joy every time I see it.

“〇 Under Quizzing (in Settings), you can now disable the panels that show information about your incorrect answers”

I am totally not asking for more work after this huge improvement but I always wondered about the opposite feature, being able to see what the other options were even when I chose the right answer, especially when I'm quizzing grammar. Sometimes I'll waver between choices and pick the right one but wonder what that other one was that I kind of but couldn't totally remember. Maybe that would just be information overload and actually reduce my ability to remember the correct answer. Just a thought!

3 months ago
Report Content
マイコー

Wow, thank you for the huge update! Example sentences can now appear for multiple versions of the same term is something I'm extremely grateful for. I'm excited to check out the past Discord events. And somehow the little running Kao chan for loading fills me with joy every time I see it.

“〇 Under Quizzing (in Settings), you can now disable the panels that show information about your incorrect answers”

I am totally not asking for more work after this huge improvement but I always wondered about the opposite feature, being able to see what the other options were even when I chose the right answer, especially when I'm quizzing grammar. Sometimes I'll waver between choices and pick the right one but wonder what that other one was that I kind of but couldn't totally remember. Maybe that would just be information overload and actually reduce my ability to remember the correct answer. Just a thought!

I'll keep it in mind, but probably not a change that'll happen for the foreseeable future :). I have several other projects I'm working (or starting) on, so those'll be my focus for the next couple of months.

3 months ago
Report Content
パン
Level: 650

Would it be possible to add a settings option to move the "Study/Learn New" button for mastery schedules back to the right? It's currently locked on the left now which is unfortunately quite inconvenient.

Apologies if there is already some sort of setting for this and I overlooked it!

3 months ago
Report Content
マイコー

No plans at the moment, sorry! I know that no change will be ideal for everyone, but bringing it down cleared up a lot of visual congestion for the majority of people, as the schedule names were getting cut off.

however, you may like going to Rearrange Dashboard, settings icon for the schedules, them choosing one of the other styles.

3 months ago
Report Content
TansuiNingyo
Level: 471

I just gotta say, the running kao-chan is the cutest!!! I sometimes just load random pages to see it run

3 months ago
Report Content

so true! I love all of the new changes I have seen!

3 months ago
Report Content
Sw1561
Level: 154

Great update! I've been looking forward for new N4 lessons for a while! Just one question, in the new 'view terms' session, was the tinker mode removed? It'd be very useful to adjust the mastery of terms in bulk in the new conjugation schedules but I can't figure out how!

3 months ago
Report Content
マイコー

Tinker mode is under "Views" on the right side...usually, but it's not on the Conjugation lists! Sorry about that. I'll have it back there soon. (When there, it'll be a View link, not the Tools button like before)

3 months ago
Report Content

Thanks for the major update, I haven't tried yet but I'm sure I'll love it. I'm looking forward to see the further improvement of this app which I love.

3 months ago
Report Content
Iserlohnの
Level: 139

Congrats!!! Thank you for everything! Also, happy Chinese lunar new year!

りましよう!!

3 months ago
Report Content
バーディ

I love the new look and all the new updates! And to sort of echo what someone else said, it's amazing that like 99% of these updates were for the free users, just another reason to love renshuu even more over any other Japanese language app out there. I just recently got my friend to join too and she loves it so far. Thank you for all the hard work you do to make renshuu so wonderful! ❤️

3 months ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana