Sentence lookup

test

Forums - "Studiend today" off by 1 per quiz

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems

Page: 1 of 2

Václav89
Level: 107

Hi,

I am doing 40 words per quiz, but "Studied today" on the dashboard increases only by 39 each time I finish the quiz.

1 month ago
Report Content
Václav89

Strangely, today everything is working as expected. But yesterday there was really problem with every quiz. (I did like 6 quizzes and each added only 39 instead of 40)

I'll keep an eye out if this happens again.

Edit: Managed to reproduce the issue day later for one quiz, quiz date were sent.

1 month ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 263

Do you have new terms coming into the quizzes? What about terms mixed in from other schedules, studypad, etc?

1 month ago
Report Content
Václav89

Hello マイコー,

no new terms, my word quizzes are fully studied for some time. I do not use studypad, but I have 3 word schedules and there is definitely a word overlap. But it is my understanding and experience is that Renshuu handles this, right?

On the other hand I quite sure I seen the problem with the first quiz of the day (i.e I did one 40 word quiz and after there was only 39 terms studied)

I also have the "Allow a term to be studied multiple times in a day (once for each vector ready to study)" disabled, but I can't be sure whether this works 100 % correctly (This is just a wild guess thought).

One thing that might be relevant: Before this issue, I took a break from Renshuu for a few days and then this issue manifested with every quiz I did. Next day it did not. So maybe it is somehow related to number of words that are waiting for the review or rather their "review age"/urgency?

As a fellow software developer, I know this will be pain to reproduce and find what the actual problem is. Is there anything I can do to help you?

1 month ago
Report Content
マイコー

It sounds like it may be a variation on a looooong-running (as in, years) bug that I've never been able to stamp out.

How many terms is in each of the schedule(s) being affected by this?

1 month ago
Report Content
Václav89

I can't really tell if this is connected to specific terms in the schedule or not. I have 3 word schedules (if I do not count the kana) each containing about 500-700 words (but there is definitely overlap between schedules) and I can see the bug every other day I would say.

Yesterday I encounter it during my second quiz (79 word studied instead of 80)

Today I did 3 quizzes so far (120 words) and it is working correctly.

1 month ago
Report Content
マイコー

So sorry for the delay! With your permission, I would like to turn on some debugging on your three word schedules. You'll be free to tell me to disable it at anytime. As to why - the debugging can slow down the loading of the quiz questions, and the slow down grows the larger the schedule.

28 days ago
Report Content
Václav89

No problem with the delay, I know this is kind of low priority. You can enable the debug for my word schedules. Let me know when it is done.

Another wild guess about this bug as I do not know much about the web and databases: Is it possible that the update of "Studied today" variable is not atomic for some reason (i.e. read and write twice at the same time)?

28 days ago
Report Content
マイコー

There should not be any asynchronous functions that might get things out of order. But here we are, so you never know.

I just turned on the debugging. I'd say that starting from the next time your schedules roll over, let me know when it happens again, and for which schedule.

28 days ago
Report Content
Václav89

In past days I usually did all my word reviews each day and today is is the first time I encounter the bug again. It happened with the schedule "Words for Beginner Japanese" and it was the last quiz congaing only single word (描く).

Hopefully I am not just imagining the thinks.

BTW, I have not noticed any slowdown due to the debug enabled.

25 days ago
Report Content
Václav89

I have another finding today. In the morning I had 80 words to review in the "Words for Japanese Basic". I did one quiz in the morning and one now in the night. The studied words shown correctly 80 words after that. However after the second quiz there were still one word to review!

My understanding is that the words to review are supposed to be reset only once per day. (at the time set in the options). Is this correct?

That one new word was listening question for the word たいせつ.

23 days ago
Report Content

I often have terms that come up for review at the end of my scheduled reviews. Usually they are related to something I had trouble with during one of the reviews, but sometimes I can’t see any connection. It may be that the terms to review are updated more frequently than once a day.

23 days ago
Report Content
Václav89

I often have terms that come up for review at the end of my scheduled reviews. Usually they are related to something I had trouble with during one of the reviews, but sometimes I can’t see any connection. It may be that the terms to review are updated more frequently than once a day.

That would explain what I saw today and if that word was already studied today (I just do not remember if it was ), it would be correct not to increase "studied today".

However, it still does not explain this bug, as I am sure I also saw it during my first quiz of the day. (I am assuming all questions are generated at the moment the quiz is started, so no word should be there twice.)

What that means is it will be even harder to track this bug down.

23 days ago
Report Content
マイコー

Unfortunately, my debugger did not send me any reports, meaning that whatever bug you're experiencing is not of the variety of the bug that I expected it to be part of.

Quick question - are you using renshuu solely on the app/mobile device, or are you also using a PC? If so, there's a few other things I could have you try.

22 days ago
Report Content
Václav89

I use both. I prefer PC, but most of my studying is actually done on mobile, as I usually study when I commute to work.

But I could use browser on mobile instead of App if that would help.

22 days ago
Report Content
マイコー

Ok, so if you can get the offset to appear on pc, this is what I'd like you to do.

1. Tap the schedule name so you go to the schedule summary.

2. Once there, tap the URL bar, and add &flush=1 to the end of it, and press enter.

See if that fixes it. This is not meant to be a fix in itself, but it helps somewhat to isolate where the mistaken data is.

22 days ago
Report Content
Václav89

I will try that.

Could you explain to me when exactly the words for review (and which words) are added to the schedule? If words that I missed in quizzes are really supposed to be added again to same day, I have no way of knowing whether I hit the bug or whether I just did review of the same word again.

Could you confirm that list of question for quiz is created during the quiz start? (If not, and if the words are being added for review during the day, there could be a same word in the quiz.)

22 days ago
Report Content
マイコー

If I understand your question, then here is what happens.

1. At beginning of your day, it decides which terms need to be reviewed that day. Let's say 10.

2. When you take a quiz, and get 9 right, but 1 wrong, the counter should be at 1. This is BEFORE you do the "you are now reviewing new terms" part at the end of the quiz. (In other words, getting the term wrong does not move the counter down. The counter is more accurately "terms you need to get right today".)

3a. If you were to end the quiz right there, and go back to the menu, it would say 1.

3b. If you did the review at the end of the quiz, and answered it correctly, then it should be at 0. Even though you missed it, it will not come up again til the next day.

21 days ago
Report Content
Václav89

Interesting, thanks for the explanation, but it contradicts what I am seeing.
e.g. yesterday, I did all reviews in one of schedules (And I always do the missed terms at the end).
After that I still had 2 words in schedule waiting for the review, which as you said, should not be happening.
I know I already did review those word that day and I quite sure I got them right.

So, do you have any idea why is this happening?

21 days ago
Report Content
マイコー

When you did that, did you try the &flush=1 trick, and did the numbers correct themselves?

20 days ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana