Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - For Renshuu's artists

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Anything Goes

Level: 330

(I typed all of this in another forum and realized it was WAY too long, so I moved the post here.)

I'd strongly recommend that everyone try and overcome the "I'm bad at drawing" mindset because it is counterproductive. I don't want to sound like a stern teacher giving a lecture, but art is a process with many, MANY attempts. I guarantee that you will get better over time, but you have to keep trying.

Improvement is often so subtle you don't see it at first, but keep drawing regularly and look back on what you drew every year or so and you'll see your own art improving. And yes, art improvement can be stagnant for a while, but this usually happens if you spend ages drawing one thing over and over without any variation. I'd suggest taking requests, drawing from media you like, and challenging yourself to draw random things you'd never consider drawing. Making art that falls outside of your comfort zone is a pretty substantial learning experience for most artists. It won't look good at first, but that's OK. (I have terrible drawings of humans that I made 7 years ago and I get a good laugh out of them. Sure, they're embarrassing to look at, but they also give me a clear "starting point" for when I started drawing people. Try to keep all of your old art because you'll never know when you want to reflect on it.)

Also, remember that it's OK to not be a museum-worthy painter. Comparing your art to someone else's work with the "I am not good at art" mindset is not going to help you improve. (We've all been there, seeing that one extremely good artist who's younger than you and feeling defeated over it.) If you see an image you like, avoid comparing it to your own art and think about the details you like from the image. I'd even suggest downloading a bunch of images you like and "copying" details of the style onto your own canvas. (For example, if you like how one artist draws eyes, try and put your own spin on their "eye style." Over time, these experiments can help you develop a unique art style.)

Apologies for the wall of text, but I feel really passionate about this kind of thing because it's upsetting to see everyone feeling down about their art. You're all great artists in your own way, and I hope this helps someone.

1 month ago
Report Content
ロウ (Row)
Level: 229

For sure I think also you learn things overtime, maybe this depends on the person, but sometimes I cannot figure out how to draw a certain thing, and I think I could not figure it out but then one day I figure out what I was doing wrong, often bc I see a drawing of it and I see how to do it but sometimes just bc I draw it over and over. Like I drew this several months ago, but I was going for something else

so I tried drawing it again but I kept getting not what I wanted, like this

which isn't a bad drawing, but it's not what I was originally going for. So then I drew some drawings of the same thing but not the same drawing style, and then I got bored of that so I drew cat aliens and stuff but then the other day I randomly was inspired to do the cartoon fox girl again

and I figured it out (or at least I partially did) (note that I still don't know how to draw shoes... but I'm sure one day I will learn)

1 month ago
Report Content
Level: 330

and I figured it out (or at least I partially did) (note that I still don't know how to draw shoes...
but I'm sure one day I will learn)

This is a fantastic example! I struggled a lot with drawing human legs because they're so strange compared to the animal legs I was used to drawing. My first attempts at drawing humans were... Not great. (They're quite funny to me 6 years later, though.) For reference, here's a picture I made in 2018:

What is going on with those weird knees?! And that extra-long right arm?! I remember getting super embarrassed when someone FINALLY told me the arms were weird lengths, but I'm grateful they pointed it out.

I guess that brings me to my next lesson... Use references. Back in 2018, I avoided references because I thought they would detract from my drawings somehow. This couldn't be further from the truth, as you could probably tell from the weird knees.

Using references can be as simple as looking at a screenshot from a TV show or as complex as tracing over a character to note their proportions. Here's a quick example of an anatomy study I drew yesterday:

The two drawings on the left were sketched over character sprites for Persona 3 Reload. I made the little ladder of lines next to the top left sprite to roughly evaluate the distance between the character's head, shoulders, hips, knees, and feet. I sketched my character to the right and measured out the anatomy based on the "ladder." This is deceptively simple at first, but I guarantee it will help you figure out proportions over time.

1 month ago
Report Content
ロウ (Row)
Level: 229

I can definitely see the improvement I like to do the ladder thing too, but it's been a while since I've done a reference

Here is one I did of Gaara from a poster I have a while back, I did the ladder for the face to know where the facial features and everything was. It took me a really long time, at least 45 minutes (probably 30 for the hair alone, I really struggle with any kind of short hair), but I think I certainly learned from it (although I maybe forgot it bc I haven't practiced that in many months ) (That's another point, don't be like me, practice regularly)

Anyway, I would definitely draw with a reference at least some of the time, even if you're directly copying you might notice things you wouldn't normally, incorporating things you find in other art isn't a bad thing. It will improve your individual drawing in the long run, I think

Now that you mention it I should stop completely erasing my drawings so often. I usually get rid of any drawing I don't like (which is most drawings), but now I have no way to see them later if I want

1 month ago
Report Content

Yaaaa I look back at my old sketch books from time to time and its really pretty funny how my art has changed over time

for example this is the very first drawing I made in a sketch book (this was 4 or 5 years ago btw)

I think this one is okay but wow did it get worse

why are the legs so large???? Why do the arms and hands look like that?????

anyway moral of the story is if you keep at it you'll grow alot

also heres one of my favorite old drawings, I now always think of the song "I want to become a super ぬこ" when I see it, its also just super cute

28 days ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Anything Goes

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana