Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Two suggestions for learning new items

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

NLLumi
Level: 432

Whenever I learn new words before a quiz, I often get words that I already know well, but I don’t know one or two specific aspects of: an obscure kanji, a second or third definition, or (most commonly) the pitch accent. This gives me a bit of a dilemma: how well do I say I know this word? I don’t want to say I know it well, because then I won’t be able to study the parts I don’t know, but I don’t want to say I don’t know it at all, because then I have to go through the tedium of doing all vectors together. So, I figure this option should be more granular.

Also, some of these words might be very similar in use to others, such as 使う・いる and . When I learn these, I might learn what they technically mean but not how to use them naturally. So, this suggestion is probably a fair bit more difficult, but could there be an option to add ‘related/similar words’ like these when details about new words are shown, alongside the accent, example sentences, etc.?

18 days ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

Thanks for the suggestions!

At the moment, I do not plan on adjusting the intro page that results in additional complexity - while I could see this be useful for a smaller subset of users, I don't feel it's worth it at the moment to add that, even if it's hidden behind another setting that would toggle it from the current usage pattern.

As to the second one - we'd first need that data - "related words" is a very ambiguous term, and it would be difficult to start marking up terms like that without some terms easily having 10+ similar terms.

However, I do have a plan for this - it will not be as widespread as you are suggesting, but it's a good start. Once I have more vocabulary usage notes included that do comparisons between words, I will start to make it possible to view those both within the dictionary (in a different format from what is present now) as well as in other areas.

This year is going to see a HUGE amount (if things go well) of info added to vocabulary: categorical tags, more usage notes, related words, more opposites, formality levels, etc. A quick look at some words in the dictionary already shows a ton, and it's going to need a top-down redo of the layout so the data doesn't bury the most important information.

So I probably will not make any changes until I can look at everything that is being added, and figure out the best way to lay it all out.

When that times come, I'll definitely be soliciting community feedback, so I hope to hear more from you then!

17 days ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana