Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Which languages do you want to learn after Japanese?

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Anything Goes

Page: 1 of 2

パン
Level: 127

Do you have any languages you want to learn when you "finished" Japanese? I know that languages can't be "finished" but for example if you reached a basic fluency. Or are you already learning another language besides Japanese? And have you studied any other languages before?? I've never studied any language before on my own, just French and English in school, so Japanese is my first self-study language and it's definetely not my last! In 1,5 -2 years I want to start with Chinese! ?And after it I'll propably go with Italian and Korean. なぜかアジアのきなの~。よかったらえてもいいよ!

24 days ago
Report Content
あんこちゃん
Level: 141

Right now I'm learning French and Latin at school, but soon I'm going to stop taking Latin because I got bored of it for some reason. When I've "finished" Japanese I want to start learning Korean because my favourite band comes from South Korea; song lyrics etc. can often get lost in translation, and if I go to one of their concerts, there's no way to turn on the subtitles

24 days ago
Report Content

I don’t really want to learn anything else after Japanese, but if I had the time I would learn Korean. I heard that there are more English speakers in Korea, but is that really true? I’d only want to *visit* South Korea, while living in Japan is my dream! if I forgot English maybe my brain would be able to learn Korean too…

24 days ago
Report Content
HonokaSki
Level: 151

ASL (American sign language)

24 days ago
Report Content
DoroJapan
Level: 69

I learned English and some Russian at school. Even after 22 years out of school, I still know some basic russian ( Alphapet, "What's your name?, My name is. I do not understand you. I do not speak russian." and some words like good, bad, red place, "sightseeing attractions"). Unfortunately, as an introvert I did not take the opportunity to talk to my German-Russian classmates (we had 7-8 in our Russian class) at all.

Loved the Japanese language since childhood, but did not know how to learn. So watching Anime and listen to music were the only sources. There was one Anime I watched on VHS cassette which had Japanese subs in the opening... thats how I learned my first Hiragana...just by listening and trying to sing along with the song.

2006, 3 japanese students (not teachers!) held weekly courses of japanese for free - so I joined. Got the basics for grammar and vocab (all Hiragana/Katakana + first 4-5 Kanji) and a book to start. Over time fewer students visited the lessons and the Japanese students went back to Japan. Since I still did't know how to learn (a language) by myself (brute force did not help), Japanese did not progress at all (it more or less went downhill).

2019, I searched for a specific japanese song on YouTube (The Phantom of the Opera). A different song* popped up (Opera)...but liked it. I loved the music and the dance. Looked up the singers and found out, it was a Korean group (Super Junior) at the same time I started to watch Korean shows on Netflix. Now I was hooked and enroled for Japanese and Korean classes in 2020. I am still attending both classes (had to pause in 2023, because of private reasons).

*2022 I found out it was sung in Japanese. Till this day I love the Japanese version more than the Korean one.

(My first ever Korean song I heard was "Because I am a Girl" by KISS, but I do not know when... at least around 2005 ...heard it again 2011 while visiting my Vietnamese friend at home.)

24 days ago
Report Content
ロウ (Row)
Level: 229

This is a question I have thought about before. When I started Japanese, I figured that when I became fluent, I would learn German, bc I have always wanted to learn German bc I have a lot of German ancestors. But now, I am debating on whether I should learn Korean after I become fluent, because it seems like a good language to learn after Japanese, but now I also talk to a lot of German people on the Internet, and it bugs me when I can almost tell what they're saying. At the same time, there are French books that I would like to be able to read, but I do not have any motivation to learn French Meanwhile, since I'm American, it would probably be smart to learn Spanish..... Well I'm not even close to being fluent yet so I suppose I'm probably worrying too much

24 days ago
Report Content
DoroJapan

Around N3/N2-level (Japanese) you could start a new language. As you wrote you do not have any motivation to learn French. Maybe the books are available in other languages as well? Do you have a motivation to learn Spanish...maybe a job?

If you have German friends you are at least able to practice/use the language for communication and your motivation would be to be less buged and have a lot of fun with your friends (and maybe search for stuff related to your ancestors). But in the end you will decide about, if and what language you want to tackle.

24 days ago
Report Content
ロウ (Row)

I want to read Tintin in it's original format, which is only in French sadly. Also there is a book that has to do with ancestry that's only in French, but I already found a French person who looked through it for me so it's not as big of a deal anymore. (French is really difficult that's why I don't want to.) The only reason to learn Spanish is that there are a lot of Spanish speakers around where I live (sort of), but I don't know any really well, so in reality that makes no more sense that learning Hmong would for me.

Sadly, I don't really know the German people that well. Although I might just learn that anyway, bc I know people who are learning German. I'm only N5 level really, so I wouldn't be quite yet

24 days ago
Report Content
DoroJapan

@Row (KN) With original format you mean to not miss any nuances that possibly could get lost in translation?

Tintin is also avalible in German known as "Tim und Struppi". It was translated into German by the original Belgian publisher.

Learning together is always fun.

---------------

I would like to learn how to speak my ancestors (my Dads Grandmother, his Dads side) minority language as well.

If you are interested: It is Sorbian - sounds similar to Serbian (same language family), but sprinkles either with Polish or Czech (depends of which type of Sorbian you speak).

When I am at home at my dads house we speak our regional dialect a mix out of Silesian-German, High German, Felmish words and some Saxonian.

• Silesian-German --> my Dads Grandparents his mom's side
  • High German --> in School (only in lessons, not in our breaks - haha)
  • Flemish --> are part of the regional dialect, because of Flemish settlers who came to this part of Germany around 800 years ago.
  • Saxonian - my mom (more my grandmother), because my mom also spoke High German
23 days ago
Report Content
ロウ (Row)

Interesting

The earlier Tintin books were originally in a magazine, but the magazine shut down so then they were published by Casterman. But Casterman had Hergé redo the already existing books and make them shorter, so those books have original versions that were different from the ones we have today. They were not translated into English, so I would love to be able to read them (and reading even the other books in their original language would be nice) but I don't have the patience to learn French. I thought about downloading a vocabulary app for French, so I could get an idea of what stuff in French says but then I gave up.

23 days ago
Report Content
DoroJapan

I thought about downloading a vocabulary app for French, so I could get an idea of what stuff in French says but then I gave up.

You could use google lens app. But I am not sure how well it works on "older" French.

23 days ago
Report Content
Misty_Mayhem
Level: 109

I am planning on learning other languages after Japanese!

But first I'll start with what I have learned

My first language is English I can also communicate in a dialect of Arabic

I attempted to learn French ages ago. I never really wanted to anyway (it was mostly for school) so I stopped :P

During quarantine I learnt ASL (American Sign Language) and I got pretty good! However, I have nobody to talk to and I my signing has gotten quite rusty

Now for what I am learning

I'm currently learning Japanese (quite clearly), and Modern Standard Arabic (this is the Arabic that all the language apps I've seen use and that most people teach).

I'm learning Japanese purely for fun and only started roughly two months ago. For MSA I've been learning it for ages, but never intensely. I'm still at a basic level though ;-; (I partially blame it on the lack of resources online.)

And finally, want I intend to learn

I've ever so slightly dabbled in Spanish and it's definitely high on my list of languages I want to learn. I also want to learn Mandarin Chinese because that was what I was originally going to learn instead of Japanese (I have a friend who's also learning Japanese and I wanted a study buddy ) Toki Pona is also high on my list, mainly because it sounds fun!

Now for some languages that intrigue me, but I don't exactly intend to learn as much. French, it would be useful to me, but I can't imagine being motivated to learn it any time soon. Korean, German and Swahili maybe? They would be purely for fun like many of these, so I'd need to be interested enough and have the time.

If you actually read this, thanks!

23 days ago
Report Content
Misty_Mayhem
Level: 109
ASL (American sign language)

ASL is such a fun language to learn I just want to let you know about the YouTube channel ASL Rochelle, she has a series called Sequestered Signing if I recall correctly. It was incredibly useful! I hope you have a good time learning it if you decide to anytime soon

23 days ago
Report Content
ロウ (Row)

I thought about downloading a vocabulary app for French, so I could get an idea of what stuff in French says but then I gave up.

You could use google lens app. But I am not sure how well it works on "older" French.

I have done that, but it's not the same, y'know? Plus it's a pain to do that with every page. I had a French person tell me once what kind of French it was, cuz apparently there are different kinds. (He also read that book for me) So I could learn that kind but I don't really neeeed to, it's just the novelty, bc I love Tintin

23 days ago
Report Content
パン

If you actually read this, thanks!

Why shouldn't I read it? Thanks for your and the other peoples detailed answer! I'm always curious about what other people are up to when it comes to language learning! I'm also learning Japanese for fun, for almost 2 years already but I still need a lot of practice. By the way, German is a very useful language to learn. (German here ) It's spoken in Germany, Switzerland, Austria and somtimes in Belgium and Luxembourg too! And about ASL.. I've seen here on Renshuu so many people who want to learn it! That's interesting. Oh and what is Toki Pona?? That's a strange name

23 days ago
Report Content
DoroJapan

I have done that, but it's not the same, y'know? Plus it's a pain to do that with every page. I had a French person tell me once what kind of French it was, cuz apparently there are different kinds. (He also read that book for me) So I could learn that kind but I don't really neeeed to, it's just the novelty, bc I love Tintin

Totally understand, what you mean.

You do not want so sound like a 90+ year old, while talking to others...

23 days ago
Report Content
DoroJapan
Oh and what is Toki Pona?? That's a strange name

Toki Pona is a "newly created" language (around 2001?) it has round about 120 words (I read 137 words?).

23 days ago
Report Content
パン

Toki Pona is a "newly created" language (around 2001?) it has round 120 words (I read 137 words?).

Ah thank you for the information!

23 days ago
Report Content
DoroJapan

you are welcome

23 days ago
Report Content
ロウ (Row)

Totally understand, what you mean.

You do not want so sound like a 90+ year old, while talking to others...

I think they would have been in more modern French (if I understand correctly), but I don't plan on going to France and I know, like, 2 French people, so it seems excessive to learn it only to read some books. I have thought about just learning to read it, but that's hard to do bc you can't find apps that are like, "we teach you to read a language! Don't worry about speaking", usually they're the opposite way.

23 days ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Anything Goes

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana