Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Dictionary searches are occasionally failing

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems

Gibolt
Level: 288

This issue has started to appear ~5 times per day for me. I only noticed it a few days ago, no longer than a week.

This is usually the first search in the dictionary panel, or a direct opening to a word. A side effect is that the search history has an empty search.

Results appear if clicking the search button or Enter in the search input.

15 days ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

We did have a brief period of downtime yesterday which affected some of the dictionaries for a bit of time after the server came back up, but kanji is not as extensive of a search, and does not use our dedicated search engine (sphinx).

I cannot say I've heard this happening with anyone else, so if you notice any pattern to it appearing, definitely let me know!

15 days ago
Report Content
Level: 156

Just dropping in to say I also noticed this happening yesterday.

13 days ago
Report Content
マイコー

If you pop open the filter button, is anything selected in there, perhaps due to some bug?

13 days ago
Report Content
Gibolt

Not that I've seen. Will check next time it happens

13 days ago
Report Content
マイコー

If it happens on desktop as well, and you feel like cracking open the web inspector, I'd love to see what data is being sent by ajax out to the server.

13 days ago
Report Content
Gibolt

Just got another on desktop when searching for ``, which I pasted into the search box. Looking at the network tab, I didn't see a request, even though other normal requests had been sent. Focusing the input and hitting Enter again, did result in a ping to `index.php?page=misc/lookup_kanji` with a valid html response.

12 days ago
Report Content
マイコー

So when you did that, was it simply non-responsive (no visual change), or did it actually say "no kanji could be found" without a network call?

12 days ago
Report Content
Gibolt

It said "No kanji could be found". It is possible the request went out, and the Inspector didn't record it (on Safari) since I opened it after it occurred, but other requests seemed to be there from earlier.

12 days ago
Report Content
マイコー

Yea, it had to have gone out - that string is not stored locally anywhere.

When looking at the network inspector, you'll have to check the parameters that were sent with the call, might look something like this (copied from Chrome's inspector - so formatting is a bit off)

1. page: misc/lookup_kanji
  1. Form Dataview sourceview URL-encoded
    1. kanji_japanese:
11 days ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana