Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Names are confusing...

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

♡ナタリー♡
Level: 104

Ok so originally, I thought the way to spell my name (Natalie) would be なたりえ. But then my friend was like なたりー... So I kind of changed my mind on how my name was spelt, but then I recently thought about it now... (;・ε・ ) Basically my question is, how would you spell Natalie in Japanese? Or the correct way... Whichever... σ(^_^;)?

14 days ago
Report Content
パン
Level: 120

To be honest I have been wondering why you wrote なたりえ instead of なたりー .

As I know なたりー would be the correct way to spell it because in Japanese every mora is spoken so なたりえ would sound exactly how it's written, with the additionalえ at the end so it would sound a little wrong.

14 days ago
Report Content
♡ナタリー♡
To be honest I have been wondering why you wrote なたりえ instead of なたりー .
As I know なたりー would be the correct way to spell it because in Japanese every mora is spoken so なたりえ would sound exactly how it's written, with the additionalえ at the end so it would sound a little wrong.

Yeah I was wondering! Now that you point it out, it sounds weird lol(the pronunciation).

14 days ago
Report Content
gillianfaith
Level: 881

Putting names and loanwords into kana is based on pronunciation, not spelling. The E in "Natalie" is not pronounced, so it wouldn't be rendered in kana.

Thinking in sounds instead of spelling is just something you have to get used to, since a lot of foreign (esp. English) names and loanwords aren't spelled like how they sound, but the sound is all that matters when figuring out how to pronounce them in Japanese.

14 days ago
Report Content
♡ナタリー♡

Thank you, I really like your picture! I wasn't born at the time that show released, but I kinda grew up on the show The Big Comfy Couch. But that makes a whole bunch of sense now, so thank you!

14 days ago
Report Content
ロウ (Row)
Level: 218

Also, as a side note, since your name is not Japanese they would spell it in katakana, like, ナタリー. The ー symbol is usually only used with katakana, so you could spell like なたりい, that's how the pronunciation would be spelled in hiragana. Or just keep it how it is, you spell it however you want

14 days ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1201

A good place to look up names is Kanshudo. For Natalie it has: https://www.kanshudo.com/searc...

To my surpise, It actually has: ナターリエ (this seems a bit strange to me)

However, for actresses like Natalie Wood and Natalie Portman they use: ナタリー (which is more in line with what I would expect)

14 days ago
Report Content
ロウ (Row)

That is a strange way to spell it. Although sometimes older names I think have spellings that aren't necessarily how they might spell it normally, like Vivian is ビビアン, not ヴィヴィアン. But that doesn't align with how it's pronounced at all, are you sure there isn't another name spelled Natalie that's pronounced different?

14 days ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1201

That is a strange way to spell it. Although sometimes older names I think have spellings that aren't necessarily how they might spell it normally, like Vivian is ビビアン, not ヴィヴィアン. But that doesn't align with how it's pronounced at all, are you sure there isn't another name spelled Natalie that's pronounced different?

I think ナターリエ probably comes from an Eastern European pronunciation of Natalie, that in the West we would probably spell as Natalia.

14 days ago
Report Content
ロウ (Row)

Yes, after doing some searching, it seems that is how it's pronounced in Norway. (Everywhere else pronounced like we do as far as I could tell)

14 days ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

Here's a tip - if you share a name with a famous person, look them up on Wikipedia, then click the language link.

14 days ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

Also, in the end, there is not a formal book of names that you are forced to use - you can use whatever you want. My name, Michael, is マイケル, but while I keep that for formal documents, I go by マイコー because I like it more.

So while you are free to use whatever you want, keep this in mind - foreign names that Japanese (or anyone, really) are more familiar with will make you more rememberable, I'd argue. For example, in the US, Jose is a pretty common name due to the large Hispanic populations, especially in the south. I'm guessing that almost everyone knows that it's "hoe-zay" in terms of pronunciation, and something similar will happen if the variation of your name that you're using is closer to "normal".

14 days ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana