Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Question about Japanese basics verb questions

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

MrmagicM
Level: 42

Hi. Just wondering if I’m doing the verb questions in Japanese basics incorrectly. These questions always seem to use verbs that I haven’t been taught, so I always have to look up the verb in the dictionary to work out the answer correctly. Am I missing something - should the answer be obvious without needing to look in the dictionary? The below is an example (to call out hadn’t been taught). Thanks for any advice!

21 days ago
Report Content

The intention of this question seems to be to test your recognition of verb forms. These are all purportedly the same verb, よぶ. You are supposed to choose the present polite form, よびます.

You can answer this without knowing the verb よぶ, but unless you already knew the verb 寄る, you would still have to guess between よびます and よります.

I can’t say whether this is evidence of things being presented out of order or not. We’ll have to wait for @マイコー to weigh in.

21 days ago
Report Content
MrmagicM
Level: 42

Thanks. I was confused with the above; I thought answer may have been よります (had the verb been よる).. I think I still am. Perhaps I need to re-read the lesson a few times..

21 days ago
Report Content
gillianfaith
Level: 888

Have you been following along in the words schedule, before doing the grammar quiz? The schedules for Japanese Basics are linked together, with the intention that you complete the vocabulary lesson first, and then do the grammar lesson, so you always know the words involved in the grammar questions.

21 days ago
Report Content

If I have a situation like this in a quiz, I look at the translation and look up the word. So if you didn't know whether よぶ or よる meant "to call out", you could search "to call out" in the renshuu dictionary and you would get the entry for よぶ rather than よる.

As a side note, I also sometimes look up verbs ending in る to see if they are ichidan or godan, when I feel unsure (I type in answers in conjugation quizzes rather than multiple choice). Sometimes if I don't know, I still guess correctly because it sounds right or wrong to me when conjugated, but sometimes I just can't tell.

20 days ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana