Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Why are you studying Japanese?

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Page: 1 of 4

マイコー
Level: 261
I'm curious as to what propelled everyone into studying Japanese.

I'm running around trying to keep renshuu 2.0 together, so I'll keep my answer short. I studied Spanish for 3 years in high school, and hated it. A foreign language was required in my program at college, and I wanted to get as far away as the romance languages as possible. Japanese was kind of a 'hey, why not?' decision, although I had been introduced to the culture through anime while in high school. Can't say I got interested in the language until after I got to college, though.

Loved every minute of the class, and 5 years later, I still find the language fascinating (and impossibly hard).
16 years ago
Report Content
DatsunVic
Level: 1
I'm a ニッポン 「vintage japanese car」 enthusiast. I have collected, restored, competed in motoring events and shows with my 4 Datsuns over the past 15 years. Durig that period, I've met many Japanese collectors, enthusiasts and jidosha yumeijin (most like to speak english!). I collect Japanese vintage car magizines and books and try my best to use them as a resource. I have been featured in 2 articles in Japanese vintager car magizines and can't read a word they've written about me and my collection. Very furstrating!

I would like to travel to Japan to gather materials for a project of mine. As well as, accept the former offers of hospitality I've recieved.

Photos of my cars and scans of my articles at - http://public.fotki.com/DatsunVic/

16 years ago
Report Content
kyubisharingan
im studying becuase i plan on going back to okinawa japan and when i go back, i want to be able to speak to japanese people. Haha, before i moved to Japan....when i was in 4th grade...i didnt even know that japan was an asian country :P only place i knew was China haha. But when i got there......man.....it was beautiful. So when i made it to junior high, i took japanese class and loved it. I also study becuase, i want to be able to read manga and watch anime(without subs.....which im sure almost everyone self-studying wants to do hehe)
16 years ago
Report Content
Sirione
i work for a japanese company that gives incentives for every level of JLPT passed. but even during college, i was interested in learning japanese when i got hooked to anime and japanese music (in anime).
16 years ago
Report Content
kdelc01
Why am I studying Japanese?
My original reason for studying Japanese was that one of my good friends bullied me in to it.
It began as a joke about me dating one of her brothers...and before I knew it, she was dragging me around to different Japanese programs and conversation sessions.....
Now, I'm studying it out of necessity!
16 years ago
Report Content
Suria
Why do I study Japanese? When I was 12 and just starting high school in New Zealand, my mother made me write down Japanese as one of my optional classes. It was a new subject then and I wasn't interested, I really wanted to do art instead, but she insisted. Well, Mum was right because 20 years later here I am in Japan, still studying Japanese!

No one has mentioned their results on this site I notice... I passed 2 and am very pleased with my score, so onto 1! Thanks to マイケル for providing a great study resource which I'm sure made a great contribution to my score this time round :-)
16 years ago
Report Content
dawonn
I was an exchange student during high school to Japan for a year and picked up quite a bit of Japanese during that time. I don't want to let all my hard learned Japanese knowledge go to waste, so I'm studying Japanese in Japan for another year during university. We'll see where it goes from here.

Have a Japanese minor now, but haven't taken JLPT yet.
16 years ago
Report Content
blinky
Had studied French and Latin in high school and wanted to do something as different as possible. First year of college, visited a Russian class and a Japanese class, and the people in the Japanese class looked like more fun. Continued taking classes for the rest of college, I've been studying it by myself on and off ever since.
16 years ago
Report Content
piepiepie75
I've been interested in Japan and the Japanese culture ever since I was in middle school. Unfortunately, I never thought I could learn Japanese, so I never even tried to. It was only recently that I decided to try it out. I've found that no only is it easier than I thought it would be, it's also really fun :D.

I also hope to join JET after I finish college (In three long years...) and live in Japan for at least two years. I've been really interested lately in looking at pictures of cities in Japan. All the cities look really nice, but I think Sapporo is the prettiest of the larger ones. And for some reason, I really want to go to Tokyo Disneyland.
16 years ago
Report Content
CoasterjunkieX
Mine was actually pretty similar to マイケル. Took Spanish in highschool and hated it. When I saw my college only offered romance languages, German, and Japanese. My interest in video games pulled me in to Japanese, and I liked it so much I signed up to do an exchange. So, now I'm really trying to master what I can before I can go over.
16 years ago
Report Content
Donnie901
I got first introduced with anime. I'm not really into anime, but I somehow got interested in the Japanese culture and language and I started to read more and more about it. Until I decided to start and learn the language. I'm still doing a selfstudy (because there isn't any course nearby) and I love every minute of it! And I hope to be able to do an exchange program to Japan after I finished high school.
16 years ago
Report Content
Freeman
[quote author=CoasterjunkieX link=topic=137.msg547#msg547 date=1209683700]
Mine was actually pretty similar to マイケル. Took Spanish in highschool and hated it. When I saw my college only offered romance languages, German, and Japanese. My interest in video games pulled me in to Japanese, and I liked it so much I signed up to do an exchange. So, now I'm really trying to master what I can before I can go over.
[/quote]

that makes three of us :)

mine is quite similar to mike and coaster - except i didn't hate Spanish and I'm still studying it since i am half Hispanic.
16 years ago
Report Content
When I was in high school, my parents asked me if I wanted to go to overseas as an exchange student. Out of a mood, I answered "Ok, I'm gonna go to Japan". And after some time I realized I couldn't just step back. So I went there for a year. Back home, I had no chance to really study Japanese, because I lived in the countryside. I guess I forgot a lot during that time.
In university I looked for a chance to get to Japan again and finally went there for another year (again as an exchange student). Currently, I'm trying to arrange writing my Master thesis there... ;)
My major is physics, so Japanese is more like a hobby... On last year's JLPT, I did quite ok, so I'm going to try next time. I won't have time to take it this year though...
16 years ago
Report Content
looh
Level: 16
I don't really even remember why I started out wanting to learn Japanese, to be honest (I've been in an accident, and lost parts of my memory). My best guess would be that... I wanted to learn a second language and be able to speak in "code" that nobody else (unless they knew Japanese, for instance) could understand. I've been studying for about a year or so now, but I didn't get serious until New Year '08 (I guess it's my new year's resolution).
16 years ago
Report Content
ジャック
I'm a grad student in film studies whose primary interest is Japanese film. If I ever want to get a PhD, Japanese proficiency will be more or less required. Plus I'm sick of European languages! And the fact that Japanese is an awesome language in general doesn't really hurt either...
16 years ago
Report Content
キャシー
Last year, my imouto (then a college ) came in and said, "So, neechan.... want to take Japanese with me?" I've always liked Japanese culture (along with several others - but it's right up there with my other favorite, Celtic) and I had a lovely gap in my class schedule, so I agreed. A year later, I enjoyed it so much that I made an effort to fit it into my schedule this year, and I'm hoping to keep it up long enough to at least minor in it. Might be a bit hard, what with me being a chemical forensics major, and therefore having far too many labs and such for my own good. >< If only I could even contemplate studying abroad...

On a side note, I took four years of French in high school, and didn't run away - they only offered the first year at the community college I started out at, so I couldn't continue, and I'm not suicidal enough to try to fit two languages into an already packed schedule now that I've transferred. @_@ I didn't even need a foreign language for my GEs, since I already took American Sign Language out of curiosity long before Japanese.
15 years ago
Report Content
CarolinaCG
Since I was a child, I always liked japanese stuff, like anime and videogames (back then I didn't even knew those were japanese), now I don't watch anime at all, I'm not to keen on it now, the ones I know are Pokemon, Capt, Tsubasa, Beyblade, Saylor Moon and Chin chan lol (ah, nostalgia).

I started studying japanese last easter because I got addicted to Jpop, and if I like something, I try to know everything about it, so I started learning japanese. Nevertheless, only since last (late) December I started studying for real, I bought Genki and am about to go to lesson 8.

I study it because I love to study it. And because I'm going to college to learn it as a minor (chinese as major) and wanna be the best of my class, and as I'm not going to have only japanese and chinese, but also its geography, culture, economy, politics, etc, and will need as much time to dedicate myself to those, so, the more time I save, the more I'll actually be able to study for the other subjects.

And because I really like japanese culture, all those お drive me crazy.
15 years ago
Report Content
Everyone's posts have been so interesting. Such a variety of reasons! I'm amazed.

My story/reason's a little long, so bear with me ^^
In college, my boyfriend at the time switched his major to Japanese, and he introduced me to the culture and language, both of which I found fascinating. After college, I realized I wanted to switch to Japanese all along, but I was too afraid of the loans piling up. The more time I spent thinking about it, the more I realized, I wanted to break the mold of being a stereotypical American who only knows one language and knows nothing about other cultures. This aching need coupled with my budding love for Japanese culture merged together. Now I'm back at college studying Japanese, and trying not to care about the loans I'm going to have to take out eventually and how old I'll be once I graduate >.>

My classes for now are online (this way I get to take them for free through my work), and it's frustrating to learn this way, but eventually I'll be in real classes, then after I get my degree the plan is to join JET.

I really appreciated reading everyone's stories and I wish everyone luck with their studies!
15 years ago
Report Content
I'm a high school student. Since I was in Junior High, or maybe elementary, I've already interested in language and culture, especially Japan, because in my country, Japan has an enormous effect on many structures. And when I'm going to college, I'll take Japanese/English Literary. I'm dreaming to be a multi career person.
15 years ago
Report Content
コリー
My reason is really odd, as there isn't really one.

A little story of how it began, I was walking around town with a friend - and went into a computer store. Seen a "Learn Japanese!" CD-Rom, thought what the heck, and bought it.

Been learning it ever since.
15 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 4

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana