和英辞典Vocabulary dictionary

漢字辞典 Kanji dictionary

文法辞典 Grammar dictionary

例文検索 Sentence lookup

test
 

掲示板 Forums - Renshuu Dictionary Keeps Trying to Break Up Words

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu



avatar

I've recently started studying again and have noticed that the renshuu dictionary keeps trying to break up words that I search with no results, but when I tap the search button a second time, THEN I get the search results. It happens both when searching with kana and with kanji. This didn't happen to me before my study break. Is this happening only to me?

f5b8e712faf218a1b9cea7f6.jpg09c87a5160c05d999bacc31b.jpg790057581b3c8de88cd8963a.jpg
1
7 days ago
avatar

I can’t duplicate these two examples. I have noticed slower responses recently, but everything seems lightning fast at the moment. I think somehow somewhere a cache is getting repopulated.

Are these one-time issues, or can you get them to happen repeatedly?

3
7 days ago
avatar

I just tried running a few words through and it hasn't done it again yet. Maybe it was just a recent fluke. I haven't started my lessons and reviews yet, but I'll probably be looking up more words through the day. If it happens again, I'll post it. Hopefully whatever it was has resolved itself.

1
7 days ago
avatar
Shamugan
Level: 881

It happen to me too once in a while.
I think it's more like a "request got lost" type of issue (which is kinda "normal" for things like that), especially since it usually works the second time. But I could be wrong.
Initialy, I also thought it was just a network issue in my region (Europe).

It did happen more frequently a few month ago, I think, but not to the point of becoming a real issue for me.
As for reproducing it, if it's a network issue, you won't be able to. Same for the "request got lost" type of issue. I forgot how that works exactly but it's like, when you search for something, you're basically sending a request. And that request should be handle somewhere before sending you an answer. But sometimes, that request can't be handled anywhere and just get "lost". For various reasons.

Now that I think it, the forum was quite active recently. So that may be one reason. Too much new users? Or people coming back from holiday break? I don't know, that kind of thing can be handle dynamically too depending on the current number of active users and/or based on statistics. But until マイコー answer, just sending the request again usually works =p.

4
7 days ago
avatar

So far, it hasn't happened again today, but I've only searched a few times. Another possibility may be that I was searching a lot of words yesterday to mark them "unknown" and reset their mastery so that they would appear again in lessons as I rework earlier lessons as a refresher. I may have overtaxed it with so many searches? Glad to know it's not just me, though. kao_shiawase.png

2
7 days ago
avatar
Shamugan
Level: 881

Pretty much doubt a single user could create any issue by themselves, so don't worry kao_shiawase.png
And yeah, you're not the only one =p

4
7 days ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346
Shamugan (09月28日, 4:00)
Pretty much doubt a single user could create any issue by themselves, so don't worry
kao_shiawase.png

And yeah, you're not the only one =p

​You'd be surprised! renshuu is a giant ball of 1,000 different pieces of string, so I've seen users with their "string" arranged such that I think "this must be the only person out of ...a lot of people with this issue"

However, as policy, I try to presume that, as you noted, it is not just them (they are simply the one kind enough to bring it to my attention).

Anyway, if the OP or anyone can replicate it, let me know. I have a suspicion as to where it might be happening, but we'd need a relatively frequent occurrence of the issue to test it.

Most of the search processes run on a separate, micro server (in the same server farm). So I'm wondering if, once in a blue moon, the connection is getting dropped. I will, in the meantime, set up a way to log this - given how many searches are done each day, even if it's happening .0001% of the time, that's still enough to get some hits.

4
3 days ago
avatar

Hello マイコー! It did happen to me again last night when I had another big batch of searches to do to reset things for another lesson. It didn't happen a lot, just a few times, and I didn't notice any kind of pattern in it.


I initially thought it was because I was doing a ton of searches and overtaxed it (not for all of renshuu, but just my own account), but I think it may just have been more noticeable with the volume of searches I was making (more searches, more of a chance for the oddball to turn up!)


Anyway, if you need anything from me, I can send you whatever you need. Thanks!


Oh, I had also initially thought it might be because I'm using a new Japanese keyboard app on my phone (from what I was using before), but since it seems to happen to others as well, maybe not.

2
3 days ago
avatar
Shamugan
Level: 881
マイコー (10月1日, 5:12)
Shamugan (09月28日, 4:00)
Pretty much doubt a single user could create any issue by themselves, so don't worry kao_shiawase.png
And yeah, you're not the only one =p

​You'd be surprised! renshuu is a giant ball of 1,000 different pieces of string, so I've seen users with their "string" arranged such that I think "this must be the only person out of ...a lot of people with this issue"

However, as policy, I try to presume that, as you noted, it is not just them (they are simply the one kind enough to bring it to my attention).

Anyway, if the OP or anyone can replicate it, let me know. I have a suspicion as to where it might be happening, but we'd need a relatively frequent occurrence of the issue to test it.

Most of the search processes run on a separate, micro server (in the same server farm). So I'm wondering if, once in a blue moon, the connection is getting dropped. I will, in the meantime, set up a way to log this - given how many searches are done each day, even if it's happening .0001% of the time, that's still enough to get some hits.

​Well, I guess that's also possible x)
I was thinking more about server issues. Like a single user searching intensively some terms with "normal"/"intented" string couldn't possibly "break"/"overwhelm" the server by themselves. At least, I hope kao_shiawase.png

On the other hand, I'm wondering if I didn't copy-paste some "weird string" with hidden characters that broke some of those searches. Since I sometime just copy-paste from... a lot of different places on the internet. I will keep a eye open for that just in case. Though, it doesn't explain why it works the second time usually (and I never had a case where it just didn't work after retrying).

If you had any ideas on that part, that could help because I'm not sure what to search for at that point. For me, it was more like a network issue or just the server getting overwhelmed from time to time or during certains period of time. Not something that can be replicated from our side.

1
3 days ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346

Just an fyi - I added the logging, so from this point on, I'd like to know if anyone gets this issue again. If I do not get a report on my end, that means the issue is somewhere else.

Whatever the issue is, I'm sure we'll be able to fix it or work around it.

4
2 days ago
avatar

I'll be resetting another lesson in a day or two, so I'll have another batch of words to look up. If I encounter the issue again, I'll mention it here.

1
2 days ago
avatar
ズナシキ
Level: 239

ohh i think ive had this issue too

1
2 days ago
avatar
Shamugan
Level: 881

It happened again

9ca79022809d6759231a3b9d.png

And after pressing enter again, it worked as usual.

6e3a9642625905ff21abe1a1.png

I also typed it directly, not copy-pasted it from somewhere else. Other than that, I'm not sure what to report. It just happened too. Around 7:10 AM JST 10/04/2026 in Japan (If that help to locate the problem).

2
12 hours ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346

Well, I got 3 reports, but they were all 3 hours ago, not one :( (and none for that word). So..while that other issue is a present issue (just an exceedingly rare one), the one you are presenting seems to be different.

It's the weekend, so i'm not really working, but I'll add some logging this week right on top of either of your (the people active in this chat) searches, so I can see exactly what is being returned.

1
10 hours ago
avatar
Shamugan
Level: 881

I discovered a good app recently called Tick Tick. With an inbox where I can dump every task quickly and not think until I decide to check them and organize them. You can also schedule tasks. And even create some specific lists, tasks and subtasks. You could also, for example, dump some task quickly like "need to answer this message from this user on the forum" and then have a recurring task on Monday to check all the "answer to this user" tasks.

Just saying because it's driving me nuts that you still take your time out of your week-end to answer. But maybe, I'm too french. Week-end and holidays are sacred for us. I'm having some cutural clashes with some Japanese friends about that. They're also driving me nuts. Starting to take pride in my culture (even if at the beginning of my Japanese journey, it was the opposite).

Anyway, I’ll keep an eye on that. If there’s anything you want me to pay particular attention to, do tell.

0
10 hours ago
avatar

I ran through a list of 40 words tonight. Only 3 triggered the issue (or rather, it only occurred 3 times). 郵便局、お兄さん、鳥 (though I searched using hiragana, but it's done it before when searching with kanji too). When I tried them again, no issue. If you need screenshots, I can send them.

0
6 minutes ago
Getting the posts




Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu


Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:





Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana