掲示板 Forums - Japanese Linguistics or Bug/Mistake?
Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu Getting the posts
Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu
(I had to compress the title a bit because of characters limit so I wrote this way instead of: Is there a japanese linguistics reason for this or is it a bug/mistake?)
Wondering what I'm missing out, as I was learning I got to the word 大きい (おおきい) and when I went to check for a sentence the first one being shown (I refreshed page because I didn't realise I could just click again for another, good I noticed the hint near the button - this sentence, by the way, is default for this word atm): その犬は大きくて怖い。
As a beginner I got confused with the reading and clicked again for another then I got もっと大きいのと取り替えてください。
This one looked more appropriate for someone with my current knowledge of japanese because the reading is exactly as it was presented on the front of the word when being introduced, the first sentence it reads as おおきくて instead of おおきい
Also, it presented to me tagged with Adjective/-い (I still need to grasp better about it) but you can see where someone lacking the knowledge being shown the first sentence may look confusing as an example
I don't mean to judge the sentence being there at all but just wanted to confirm what I ask in the title (and to understand), is this a correct sentence for the word and my lack of knowledge is why I don't get it or is it there for this word by mistake/some bug happening?
The sentence is correct, you just haven't learned about the Te form and linking adjectives yet.
Here's the relevant grammar point: https://app.renshuu.org/gramma...
おおきい と こわい ❌ (the wrong way to express "and" for adjectives)
おおきくて こわい ✅ (the right way to express "and" for adjectives)
For い-adjectives you drop the final い and replace it with くて, e.g. おおきい → おおきくて
So when connecting adjectives, you use the て/で form. Basically, you conjugate every adjective except the last one.
For い-adjectives:
Example: 可愛くて、強くて、優しい ...
For な-adjectives:
Example: 静かで、安全で、素敵な ...
※ The only common exception is いい ("good"), which becomes よくて. You can read the usage notes for more information.
The above comment is right, but I also want to point out you can turn any い-adjective into an adverb by changing い to く. So 遅い(おそい) is slow and 遅く(おそく) is slowly. Notice we do something similar in English by adding ly to the end of some adjectives to create adverbs.
This is essentially what's happening with い-adjectives in the て form. You turn it into an adverb and add て. Most people just think of it as dropping い and adding くて, though.
This pattern comes up in other conjugations as well, like 大きくない, not big.
also, just generally, the example sentences show the words in their conjugated forms.
you can generally click on a word and you’ll get a little pop up showing the word in its dictionary form and a note what form it’s taken in the sentence.
i really like being able to see vocab in context, including conjugated forms, but as a beginner i agree that it can be a little confusing.
@ギョルギ九十三 thanks a lot for the explanation (including the wrong way to use it, it's quite nice to be able to see contrast on what to and what not to when learning imo) and letting me know there are exceptions 

@雪・にゃー fascinating bit of info thanks, i am definitely writing it down so i don't forget about it

@Mrs_Diss ohh.. this went right over me without glasses, i was practicing now with glasses and read your comment and noticed it, the text color contrast didn't help much to notice it
but then if there was maybe it would look too cluttered i suppose
i will try to remember putting my glasses on so this kind of thing doesn't go unnoticed by me again 
