Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
しまう 
1. To finish/complete A

Have you finished writing your composition?
2. A occurs (shows embarrassment / regret / disappointment over the action A)
2日                 
After two days our food ran out.
3. To put away A
  をしまって おきなさい  
Put away your wallet.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Page: 2 of 2

やれやれ
Level: 200

No, I understand the second meaning well. In it, as you say, しまう adds a nuance beyond its basic meaning. But in examples of the first meaning, as…

までにはそれをえてしまいたかったのだが。

or

レポートをわらせてしまったいよ。

I get a bit of a feeling that しまう is really unnecessary. If しまう isn't going to add any special nuance to the sentence, and is only used for its meaning of "to finish, end something", combining it with わる or える doesn't seem necessary. It sounds like saying "finish and be done" or something like that (¿?)

3 years ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1197

レポートをわらせてしまったいよ。

I get a bit of a feeling that しまう is really unnecessary. If しまう isn't going to add any special nuance to the sentence, and is only used for its meaning of "to finish, end something", combining it with わる or える doesn't seem necessary. It sounds like saying "finish and be done" or something like that (¿?)

My understanding (more knowledgeable people please correct me if I'm wrong) is the しまう just adds the nuance of completeness in those so:

レポートをわらせてしまったいよ

It would be better if the report was completely finished.

If you drop the しまう it would just be:

It would be better if the report was finished.

So, it adds that same nuance that we occasionally use in English between:

- "done" and "completely done,"

- "done" and "done and over with"

So, they are very close in meaning.

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

I've been digging into this as well. My favorite Japanese grammar textbook gives してしまった as an example in the completed category, so it does seem to be useable with verbs that also contain "finish" or "complete" as part of their meaning.

3 years ago
Report Content
やれやれ
Level: 200

I see. Ok, got it. Thanks for the help :)

3 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 2 of 2

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana