Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.

1. Wants to A
              明日         つもり  
My younger brother wants to ride a horse, so we are going to go to a farm tomorrow.
2. Shows signs of state/condition A
                   今日     まで          
She's always wanted to ride in Daddy (your)'s car. She asked for you to take her to kindergarten today.
3. Don't be A (afraid, shy, etc.)
                    して ください  
Don't be so shy and please give a great speech.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Page: 2 of 2

Shiruz
Level: 1
Thank you very much! now i understood! :D
9 years ago
Report Content
About the second usage, by referring verbs which represent a state/condition (like れる、する、る, etc.), isn't it still possible to use it with verb? For instance, saying 'りたがっている' doesn't always mean '(seems) want to angry' but means 'seems angry' instead. Then how about れたがる, does it always means 'seems want to get tired'? I believe it's roughly depend on context, though. So how do you think?
9 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

@mysticfive thoughts on this nuance?

9 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
Level: 1604
About the second usage, by referring verbs which represent a state/condition (like れる、する、る, etc.), isn't it still possible to use it with verb? For instance, saying 'りたがっている' doesn't always mean '(seems) want to angry' but means 'seems angry' instead. Then how about れたがる, does it always means 'seems want to get tired'? I believe it's roughly depend on context, though. So how do you think?

I've never heard this grammar pattern used in this way; usually, if you want to say someone seems angry/tired etc, you hear things like っているらしい、れているようです、しているみたい。Not to say the above *can't* be used, just that if it can, it's probably a rarer usage... But especially since the ~たい form is in there for verbs, it would seem to lead one to believe that the condition is desired, like you said - one wants to become angry, one wants to be tired...

9 years ago
Report Content
I guess you're right. Another one, are these count as the second usage (or the third?) too? がり is sensitive to heat がり is sensitive to cold がり is coward when「(や)」attached, it'd mean the 'type of the person that (sensitive to...)'; it doesn't seems work with all adjective, though. And for がる, does it always means "pretend to be tough" (negative nuance) and not "seems strong" (does not contain negative nuance)?
9 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
Level: 1604

I would say the ~がり is most similar to usage 2, but I'm not sure if I'd put them together in the same thing.

with がる, it's not something that I've personally heard too often, but I would say that it would more have the pretending connotation - if you wanted to say someone seems strong, I'd go more with そう

9 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 2 of 2

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana