和英辞典Vocabulary dictionary

漢字辞典 Kanji dictionary

文法辞典 Grammar dictionary

例文検索 Sentence lookup

test
 

掲示板 Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
限かぎり 
1. A marks the time that something ends/starts
愈 今 週 を 限 り に 、 暫 く の お 休 み で す 。 
I've finally got some vacation coming as of the end of this week.
Discussion & Notes (2)
2. To the full extent/usage of A
彼 は 声 の 限 り に 叫 ん だ 。 
He shouted at the top of his lungs.
Discussion & Notes (2)
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk



avatar
lou1sb
Level: 1
I don't really understand the definition given here. Is it this: http://dev.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=wo%20kagiri%20ni
0
17 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346
Yea, sorry - it should have been given two definitions. I clarified the first. The 'to the full extent' one is something like this:

道に迷った子どもは声を限りに泣き叫んだ.

I understood this as 'The lost child cried out with her full voice.

If you have some suggestions as to how to improve the definition, let me know. It'll obviously help to have some model sentences in there, but those are somewhat hard to come by for the 1kyuu stuff. I'll try and get some in once I finish inserting everything.
0
17 years ago
avatar
mysticfive
Level: 2445
this can also be used as N限りで
0
15 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346
Which meaning?
0
15 years ago
avatar
mysticfive
Level: 2445
it seems to be both, although the book did state that you can't do 声限り, it has to use the を (and の wasn't listed at all), so maybe it's only the latter?
1
15 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346
Adjusted one of the meanings. PS: I have the same ref. book, so feel free to refer to page numbers.
0
15 years ago
avatar
mysticfive
Level: 2445
I also don't think I've ever heard を限りに with a verb (second usage)? I've seen Verb限りに (出来る限りに,知る限りに) used in the first sense though...
1
15 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346
Yea, the を didn't belong in there. Took it out!
1
15 years ago
avatar
mysticfive
Level: 2445
now that I think about it, I think that Verb限りに should go in the first usage and not the second at all...?
0
15 years ago
avatar
クロウ
Level: 5

When marking a time period, this gives the effect that one is making an announcement/declaration to others.

0
10 years ago
avatar
Anonymous_and
Level: 5

it's kinda confusing here- I'm trying to use renshuu alongside my textbook (日本語中上級 文法集中冊), and in the book there is a かぎり that is used the same way as described here, marking time period and showing the full extend and all. however in my textbook かぎり is used just so, without addition of を or に, and they seem perfectly grammatical to me

ex: 力の限り頑張ろう。

  遭難者を救うために、救助隊はできる限りのことをした。        

0
7 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346

You're completely right! The original page focused on a single usage, and other usages were added over time. However, some of the patterns were still too restrictive. After checking on everything, I updated some of the usage patterns as well as the title for the page.

0
7 years ago
avatar
TumorsAreGood
Level: 174

Under usage 1 construction 1, example 「今日を限りに」 今日 is written as 教

1
5 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346

Fixed, thanks!

0
5 years ago
Getting the posts




Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk


Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:





Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana