Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
ものがある
1. Shows a situation/condition A that draws strong feelings/emotions
The emotional connection does not need to be the speaker, but can be a person/group referred to in the sentence.
     できない           ある  
Living in a country where you don't understand the language is a difficult thing.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

fareastfurfaro
Level: 1
Constructions are as follows:

(できるものがある)Can't be out of the present tense.
なものがある)
(すごいものがある)

I'd also say the definition could be something along the lines of "shows strong emotions/feelings of the speaker about a fact or a characteristic of something/someone." "Has the feeling of ..." This one is a bit hard to get down. というじがある and ようにじる are a couple definitions I see but they are hard to really translate.
14 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261
Well, I updated the usages and appended the meaning. I'm not sure the speaker is always going to have that emotional/feeling connection, though. Here's an example out of a book in front of me:

このにはくものがある.

This doesn't seem to suggest anything about the speaker - they're just stating a special fact about a particular movie and how it affects other people.
14 years ago
Report Content
fareastfurfaro
Level: 1
Ah I see. OK then I guess I'm not 100% on this one.
14 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Alright, I had a bit of a chat with a native in regards to this. It's definitely a tricky one.

You were half-right about that it brings forth some kind of emotion or feeling, but it's not restricted to the speaker (which is how the sentence I stuck in there 2 posts above works).

Although I didn't understand this part 100%, she emphasized that the feeling/emotion is not something that can be concretely explained by the speaker - it's got a sense of vagueness to it. I'm not going to add that to the definition because I'm not exactly sure on it, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

PS: check your sentence submission for this grammar, I'm about to add some comments she had on it.
14 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892

Why is it not possible to bind ものがある as a whole? Breaking it apart doesn't really make sense as it won't convey the meaning of the phrase.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Should be doable now!

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana