Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
V-ようと思う
1. I think I will A

I'm thinking I'll go abroad.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

darkje
Level: 1
The grammar type information on this is incorrect(when you click on Verb:Volitional).

They are formed by changing the 'u' in the last character to 'o' (う>え,く>け,す,せ) / changing る to よ, then adding a う.

Should be

They are formed by changing the 'u' in the last character to 'ou' (う>おう,く>こう,す>そう) / changing る to よう。

Also, I've only seen this form as volitional+っている. Can someone else more proficient verify if it if it should be ともう or the +ている form for an ongoing action?
14 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
Thanks - I went ahead and took out the conjugation information (since it's not really enough space to get into godan/ichidan) and simply gave a link to the much more in-depth grammar page.
14 years ago
Report Content
darkje
You linked imperative and not volitional ;)
Volitional is 85.
14 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Fixed!
14 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
Level: 1573
in three of the example sentences, is used - that's only used for Imperial visits, and it also doesn't fit the pattern of using volitional
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Fixing them now, thanks! Looks like there was an error with the site's parser.
13 years ago
Report Content
Shirubi
So, here is what I can say I have learnt about volitional + とっている or とう . The first one is used when you have already made some thinking/planning on what you are saying you are going to/ intend to do. The other one, とう is used when you make your mind on the spot. This is what my grammar book (genki II)read in short.
11 years ago
Report Content
Level:
That's generally true, but it's a little more complicated than that in practice. [b][size=12pt]「ごうとっている。」[/size][/b] [i]I'm thinking of going swimming this weekend.[/i] (like you said, you've already been thinking about it prior to making the statement) [b][size=12pt]「ごうとう・・・」[/size][/b] [i]I think I might go swimming this weekend...[/i] (this construction has the impression of a very low chance that you will actually go swimming, and is thus usually continued something like the following examples) [b] [size=12pt]「ごうとうけど、まだからない。」[/size][/b] [i]I think I might go swimming this weekend, but I'm not sure yet.[/i] [b][size=12pt]「ごうとうんだけど、いだろうな。」[/size][/b] [i]Well, I think I might go swimming this weekend, but I wonder if it will be cold.[/i] If people really need to show that they just decided something on the spot, they seem to tend to use something like this construction: [b][size=12pt]「ごうとした。」[/size][/b] [i]I've decided to go swimming this weekend.[/i]
11 years ago
Report Content
Posad

Example sentence こうとっている contains two erronious backslashes

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Fixed it, thanks!

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana