Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.

1. In A; on A; at A
Used when describing the existence/presence of something.
  部屋  可愛    います  
There is a cute cat in my room.
2. To A; towards A; on A

I wanna go to Osaka.
3. At A (time)
This can be used with an actual time (xx:yy), day, month, etc.

The change is for the meeting to start from five.
4. Used with passive verbs to identify who/what is doing the action
咲子えみこ                  
Emiko was often called and scolded by the teacher.
5. To change into A
6. Every period of time A, B; Per A, B
B is often of the form 一回, 三回, etc.; during the period A, something happens B times.

I go to the beach once a month.
7. A and B
Used when the A and B often come as a set (e.g. food & drink)
この     コーヒー           
This set comes with coffee and cake.
8. Going/coming/returning to do A
       びに      
In the summer, I'm going to Hokkaido to have fun.
9. Shows the target/recipient A of the action

He made breakfast for her.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Page: 1 of 2

Ladymercury
Level: 19
Looking at the usage for #2, couldn't you also say 「ライダーにする」? Because with the way its written, I'm thinking 「」 to literally change/transform as well as 「なる」? Though, my question probably - Can you use them interchangeably?

ライダーになるよ!」
いのします!」
14 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262
Yea, I'd see them as the difference being 'to become' and 'to change/transform into', so probably not more than a slight change in the meanings, but *generally* the same.
14 years ago
Report Content
Ladymercury
Level: 19
Thanks for the clarification on that :)b!!!!
14 years ago
Report Content
Level: 1
wtf?! "Do A, A is happening" i don't understand this usage :O
13 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
Level: 1605
two things on the last usage - first, it appears most people have confused this pattern with (verb stem)に(motion verb - いく,くる etc) (I did too until looking at it again!) so maybe have something for that as well?
Also you can use a noun for that pattern as well if you use をねて - ねて (using numerous lies, or piling one lie on another)
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Yea, I think I am going to just switch it other to the other form, then consider re-entering the new one at a later point.
13 years ago
Report Content
テリフン
For the passive verb meaning, should there be a + Passive Verb after the に?
12 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Yes, that would be useful. Thanks!
12 years ago
Report Content
IJamLegend
I keep getting an error message that just says "false" when I try to view the user sentences on "A and B (as a set)"
9 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Hmm - it works in the renshuu beta - beta will become the main site in just a couple of weeks, so I recommend that you join it now (link in the Help menu), as no bug fixes are being made on the 2.0 (current) version of the site unless the quizzing stops working.
9 years ago
Report Content
Level:

The link to passive tense on usage 4 seems to be broken.

9 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Fixed, thank you!

9 years ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1490
For the 8th usage, DBJG says に can be used with verbs of motion to express purpose (and also adds る and る to that list), but not with verbs like く, る or ぐ (as they represent a specific mode of motion, rather than the movement itself).
Does anyone have a more complete list of such verbs (for instance, would using it with る or ちる be ungrammatical)?
6 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892
I do not at all understand #7 A and B (as a set), for cannot find any (verified) example sentence for this particular usage.
I found that に means "and; in addition to". Would that be the same? If so does a sentence like える。fall under this usage as many people consider sugar a necessary companion for tea? On the other hand this に has a feel of にれる to it, which is closer to #2, is it not?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Just clarified that meaning a bit and added a sentence! You were right with the first guess - it is similar to と when the two often come together as a set.
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
two things on the last usage - first, it appears most people have confused this pattern with (verb stem)に(motion verb - いく,くる etc) (I did too until looking at it again!) so maybe have something for that as well?
Also you can use a noun for that pattern as well if you use をねて - ねて (using numerous lies, or piling one lie on another)

Concerning #8, I still don't understand the diference between this に and にく・にる which can be found elsewhere in the grammar library. And how does ねて fit into this pattern?

What if に is sandwiched between nouns? Which category does that belong to?
e.g. パスポートの
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I think に #8 and にく・る are the same - they just got put up in different places.

I'm not sure the last case you gave is properly covered yet, but I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment so I cannot research the usage enough to document it.
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
I see. Thanks anyways.
5 years ago
Report Content
まさむね123
ればえたでしょう・だろうに。
If you had come here yesterday, you could have met Natsuko.

Is it still common for people to use this pattern? に was added as a final particle to express feelings of great regret or sympathy.
5 years ago
Report Content
McYodo
Level: 29

I thought that I was being stupid and kept misunderstanding what に did in a sentence, little did I know that it has nine different uses. Thank you just so much Japan :)

3 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana