Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
Conditional Form
1. If A

If foreigners want to drive in Japan, an international driver's license is needed.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

mysticfive
Level: 1611
the Basic Constuction only has the constuction listed for negative verbs, but then has the list for making positive conditional verbs - it might be less confusing to have a seperate constuction for the positive verbs as well.
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262
Yea, this page definitely needs a healthy bit of reorganizing. The thing with the verbs is that it looks funny because the negative form is simply a modification of a (by the time you learn this) well known form (ない), where the positive form is a 'new construction'.
13 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
there still isn't an actual construction for positive verbs, just the box for it (and there's an extra 'model bits' box for me under the い adjectives...)
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Yea - in cases like this (there aren't too many of them left), the 'actual construction' is just the conjugation box.

(For you) - the extra model bits that is sitting there is for the conjugation box.
13 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
gotcha
13 years ago
Report Content
Level: 1
cloud > kumo
spider > kumo
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Fixed, thanks!
13 years ago
Report Content
orenji_shoujo
Level: 100
You can also use ならば instead of であれば。
12 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
This will probably fit better on the なら page, so I'll add it on there!
12 years ago
Report Content
Level:

"The positive な adjective cannot be used with this form; please check the なら page. An additional form for positive nouns is also on that page." The link to the なら page is broken.

9 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Fixed, thanks!

9 years ago
Report Content
looh
Level: 16

Could someone explain ~ればとう?

8 years ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1496

From what I can find, ~ればとう is not a seperate construction, but instead just represents an incomplete sentence (where some part has been intentionally omitted).

For instance, くならなければと has "I think that" (とう) combined with "I have to" (なければだめ without the だめ) to produce "I think that I have to be strong".

In って、いてくれればと, "I think that" (とう) is paired with "it would be good if" (ればいい without the いい) to mean something like "I hope", as in "I hope he will see me and listen to my future plans".

8 years ago
Report Content
まさむね123
Level: 1
"The positive な adjective cannot be used with this form; please check the なら page." 
なadj +であれば/なければ(negative) - isn't this how you conjugate it? please someone inform me. 
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
No, I do not believe it is possible. A quick search pulled this up - http://www.coelang.tufs.ac.jp/... - you can see towards the middle that な adjectives get left out altogether.

Unfortunately, I am on vacation at the moment so I cannot look at my other reference materials and give you a more defined answer.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

The page here has not changed with regards to the な-adjective formation because both なら and であれば are acceptable for the conditional following those adjective types :)

5 months ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana