Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
ずに
1. Without A..ing
         部屋         
Don't come into my room without knocking.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

onlyforyou
Level: 1
I'm trying to refresh my memory without searching the grammar database but I'm drawing a blank. The verbal way to use this is....?? Like when speaking.
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
Maybe just ...‾ないで?, or are you looking for something more formal?
13 years ago
Report Content
onlyforyou
Level: 1
I was looking for something a little more formal, yes,^^;;
I always tend to feel like I'm being too informal.
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I'm pretty sure ずに would come across as formal in spoken language. Hmm..listening to the teachers around me, I will also hear (in speeches, whatever) something along the lines of

めることなく、

Although that also (I believe) has a bit more punch to it.

Back to the issue, though, I'm pretty sure a ずに followed by an appropriate conjugation at the end of the sentence would be as polite as you need to be. If I remember (my mind is a bit spotty, so I probably won't), I'll ask someone tomorrow.
13 years ago
Report Content
shirokitsune
Level: 1023

While reading a children's novel I came across just ず with no に。It has the phrase かず、does the comma replace the に in this writing or am I looking at some other grammar point that I am just unaware of.

8 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Just looked it up - they are slightly different.

ずに meanings "without", as in, A ずに B = "doing B without doing A"

Here's an example:

らずにしてしまった。 Shows you not doing something you'd normally do with the following action.

であきらめず、までってください。

Not quite the same - in this case, it is "don't do A, do B"

までれず、させられました。

In this case, it shows a tight link between the lack of A and it causing B. In this case, "I didn't/couldn't do A, so B"

These examples, by the way, are from the EXCELLENT . It's made for teachers of Japanese, or high level students. Very, very good explanations (although it's 100% Japanese)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9...

8 years ago
Report Content
shirokitsune
Level: 1023

Thanks for the help. I think once I get a little stronger in Japanese I will pick up that book.

8 years ago
Report Content
Kiraraxa
Level: 122

Hey everybody:-) quick question - I saw in one of the examples for わる that this form is used without the に - so, ...いつもとわらず... is this a mistake, a different grammar or maybe an exception? Thank you:-)kao_yoroshiku.png

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

I did a quick search, and came up with this note: ざっぱにいえば、 「ずに」=「ないで」、 「ず」=「なくて」です。

So, ずに and ず can both be used depending on the structure of the sentence.

More info: https://detail.chiebukuro.yaho...

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana