和英辞典Vocabulary dictionary

漢字辞典 Kanji dictionary

文法辞典 Grammar dictionary

例文検索 Sentence lookup

test
 

掲示板 Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
か ら 
1. Because A
彼 は 、 成 功 し た ベンチャービジネスの 社 長 だ か ら 、 凄 い 金 持 ち に 違 い な い 。 
He must be super rich because he runs a successful venture business company.
Discussion & Notes (3)
2. From A, Since A
Marks the source (time or place) A where an action began.
昨日 か ら 雪 が 降 っ て 居 ま す 。 
It's been snowing since yesterday.
Discussion & Notes (2)
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk



avatar
alekth
Level: 20
から is also used for indicating the material something is made of when that material is not obvious from looking at the product. I added a usage note regarding this to the similar function of で: http://www.renshuu.org/index.php?page=grammar/individual&id=112#mhead579

Also, it can be used when something is received from an organization or similar, rather than a person (に). E.g. 銀行から借りたお金
4
15 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346
I added the second. Do you have any example sentences for the first so I can confirm a few things?
0
15 years ago
avatar
alekth
Level: 20
I'd posted some on the で note for the sake of contrast, here they are:
紙は木からできる。 Paper is made from wood.
このワインはカシスからできている。 This wine is made from black currant.

It's technically the very basic meaning of から as a starting point/source and from there on there has been some change in that material, e.g. in the case of wood, it's visible wood if a chair has been made of it (で), but with paper it's a processed ingredient that is no longer obvious.

ガラスは砂などからできる。
プラスチックは石油からできる。
1
15 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346
Does it always follow with できる?
0
15 years ago
avatar
alekth
Level: 20
Can be 作る too, and probably others as well, as long as the meaning is kept along the lines of making/producing (from some googling, even the 造る form popped up, mostly related to drinks - producing, that is, not mixing).
0
15 years ago
avatar
Level:
There's a typo in the second line of the advanced notes: "...when the reason/casuse might offend the other party."
0
15 years ago
avatar
マドゥリ
Level: 1
Shouldn't the second meaning read 'From A' rather than 'From B'?
3
13 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346
Yep, and fixed. Thanks!
1
13 years ago
avatar
karmakaze11
Level: 1
から can also be used in place of へ (meaning "from") in sentences like 日本から来ました but from what I understand it particularly implies effort on the part of the subject, so in the example given it would mean something like "I came from Japan (and that's really far away/and it took a lot to get here)".
2
13 years ago
avatar
Devinate
Level: 1
Is the meaning same, when preceded by a short past form? Thanks in advance!
0
13 years ago
avatar
mysticfive
Level: 2440
yes it is ^.^
0
13 years ago
avatar
Merkaber
Level: 72

Hey guys,


I just got a question about this "easy" grammar. When do I use から after the and add then the です instead of just adding から after the verb. Also, when do I use から after です? I don't mean at the sentence start.


Example:

余り好きじゃないですから。 or  余り好きじゃないからです。

吸わりませんから。 or  吸わりませんからです。(I guess that doesn't work because of ません (敬語))

食べなかったですから、お腹がすいていますよ。 or  食べなかったからです、お腹がすいています。 (I guess this doesn't make sense as well.)


Is there a usage difference if you use です instead of だ or it's working with the same sentence "grammar" structure?


Thx in advance and please excuse my worse English.

0
11 years ago
avatar
友人
Level: 1
からです:"From it is"

咳は、喫煙からです。 The cough is from smoking

.

だから, ですから: "From that/Because/Since/Therefore"

喫煙はがんの原因となります。吸いませんだから。 Smoking causes cancer. Therefore, don't smoke .

喫煙はがんの原因となります。吸いませんですから。Smoking causes cancer. Because of that, don't smoke (cold, formal, disapproving delivery-you might smell like an ashtray).


Casual form is 吸わない. Polite form is 吸いません.


Hope that helps.

1
11 years ago
avatar
Merkaber
Level: 72

Thanks 友人,


I just wonder why ですから is not as good as だから in your example (if I wanna be polite).

0
11 years ago
avatar
友人
Level: 1

It is polite; but, in this expression at least, it can be interpreted as a little too polite and so, coldly formal. だから is ok in polite speech, and it's friendly, doesn't imply any disapproval.

0
11 years ago
avatar
anyanya
Level: 1

How about て-form + から? It means "after" in that case.

Example: 食べてから、歯を磨いてください。 After eating, please brush your teeth.

0
9 years ago
avatar
SirEdgar
Level: 2093


How about て-form + から? It means "after" in that case.

Example: 食べてから、歯を磨いてください。 After eating, please brush your teeth.

Right, but that one has it's own grammar point here bigsmile.gif:

https://www.renshuu.org/grammar/15/%E3%81%A6%E3%81...


2
9 years ago
Getting the posts




Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk


Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:





Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana