Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Japanese song recommendations?

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Anything Goes

Page: 1 of 3

kyubisharingan
Level: 1
...yea...anyone have any Jpop/Jrock songs they could share? Im getting kinda tired of listening to the same japanese songs I have, and want to expand. I really dont have a specific type of song I look for when getting Japanese music, as long as it sounds good, im cool
15 years ago
Report Content
Level: 4
Well, I have no idea what you've been listening to, but if you haven't checked out The Blue Hearts, definitely do so. Some of the songs I like are "Linda Linda," "I Wanna a Kiss," "Train-Train," "An Endless Song," and "A Boy's Song." Beyond that, my standbys are Thee Michelle Gun Elephant ("G.W.D.," "Danny Go," "Gypsy Sunday"), The Pillows ("Hybrid Rainbow," Happy Bivouac," "I Think I Can"), and every once in a while, Ellegarden (lots of English songs, but check out ""). A Japanese friend recently gave me some OreSkaBand, which is pretty catchy if you like the ska genre. Oh, and if you're interested in hip-hop, check out the old-school group, Schadaraparr.

My host sister sent me a mix CD a while ago, but because iTunes is evil, it didn't recognize any of the songs or artists. Because of that, I have a bunch of unnamed tracks which I've come to enjoy! I guess I should look up the lyrics somewhere...
15 years ago
Report Content
キャシー
Hehe. I dug out a CD with a bunch of The Pillow's stuff that my sister's friend gave her years ago... but it doesn't have any info, so I don't know what songs it has! xO I haven't actually listened to it more than once yet, so I haven't learned any words.

I've been trying to open up my selection a bit too, but unfortunately pandora.com 's selection of Japanese music is somewhat limited, and everyone I can find who was recommending had vastly different music tastes than me. xP I picked up Mucc off of pandora (they had The Pillows on there too), and another person recommended Asian Kung-fu Generation, but those were about the only new ones I found.

I love Linda Linda! I get it stuck in my head all the time. I love AnCafe (and saw them live last year! woot!), and I listen to Bon'z (found thanks to one of their songs being in an anime ^^;;). Other than that, my repertoire is pretty limited. I only recently got into the music, and now I need more because it's great to listen to on the bus.

If you like hip-hop and such, Khatz over at alljapaneseallthetime.com has music recommendations - he doesn't care much for the rock or pop, it seems, but he does have a few of each.
15 years ago
Report Content
My advice is to join www.last.fm

Go there, join (it's free) and enter in the Japanese bands you like. Then they will start playing songs similar to what bands you say you like in your profile. It's very easy and I've been introduced to a lot of new bands because of it. I still think it has a lot of kinks to work out, and those would probably go away if you decided to pay for the service, which gives you extra functions, but it's been helpful to me on that front.

15 years ago
Report Content
CarolinaCG
All albums from Ayumi Hamasaki ;D
15 years ago
Report Content
mayu12
ya I am also looking for japanese songs, if you have any site for japanese song or about movies share it.
13 years ago
Report Content
Care by Akanishi Jin
stereo by Nishikido Ryo
13 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
Level: 1603
one thing that I always enjoy doing is just looking up the kohaku from various years - the Kohaku is a song competition (men vs women) that takes place every New Year's Eve. All of the most popular acts of the year perform - whether they be pop, rock, enka... whatever. It's great! If you youtube search (こうはく) and a given year you usually will get a whole bunch of stuff, and they're in the top of their game. Some bands, like SMAP, have been doing the Kohaku every year for 10-15 years!
13 years ago
Report Content
margerine
Bump Of Chicken!! So good
Spitz!! Super 90s sounding, sweet and nostalgic, and I love his voice
Shiina Ringo~ She's so cool and her songs are bold
and I can't help but like Arashi, although it may not be to everyone's taste here.
Sakanaction, lots of electric/techno sounds
Kobukuro, two guys singing nice songs
and Remioromen
Did you guys watch 1 Litre of Tears? Even if you haven't I think Remioromen's Konayuki and Sangatsu Kokonoka will make your heart hurt. Or maybe it's just me, haha.
13 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
also if you want the artists that EVERYONE loves, the top two bands of '10 were AKB48 and Arashi - literally, all the top 10 songs were from those two bands. Other groups that are *really* big right now are (actually a Korean Band, but they record in Japanese too), PARFUM (one of my faves!!) and anything by the Johnny's group ^.^
13 years ago
Report Content
fr0d0b0ls0n
Some of my favourite groups:

B'z (Zero, Love Phantom, Jinsei no Kariaku...)
Garnet Crow (Yume Mita Ato De, Kimi to iu Hikari, Marionette Fantasia, Pray...)
Hotei Tomoyasu (Thrill, Bambina, Nocturne 9, Russian Roulette...)
Morning Musume (Koi no Dance Site, Love Machine, Resonant Blue, Namidacchi...)
13 years ago
Report Content
Urashima_Taro
70's folk stuff is quite good actually: My favourite song is Kandagawa by Kaguyahime. Another one by the same band (thought as part of a triology with Kandagawa) is Akachochin. Other favourites of mine from this genre are:

Gakuseigai no Kissaten (Garo)
Nagori Yuki (Iruka)
Sake to Namida to Otoko to Onna (Eigo Kawashima)

Actually I like the pre-J-POP era better. Today's contemporary Japanese pop music has far too much Western influence, complete with the unnecessary English lyrics. Older songs have a clearer Japanese and more suited for practice IMHO. Enka might not be everyone's cup of tea, due to old language, distinct Far Eastern singing techniques, and the pentatonic scales. But I like them a lot too.
13 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
I agree - I love the older 'pops' music! I'm in a choir out here with a bunch of little ばあちゃん and じいちゃん, and we do a lot of that stuff (with everyone else talking nostalgically over new sheet music and me just going'ooh, what's this?' ;) ) My personal faves from choir, also with really easy-to-understand lyrics (sorry, I don't know most of the original artists off the top of my head, but if you YouTube search just the title it'll get you there) are:
もしもピアノがけたなら
いいち (you can also hear a snatch of this song whenever you ride the  - it's the train song!)
ルビーの
あずさ
いてこう (one of the first songs I ever learned in Japanese!)
- Angela Aki (this one's more recent, and just lovely :D )
13 years ago
Report Content
Urashima_Taro
いてこう is one typical "Classic oldies" song. You know, those known by most of the society. Encompasses more than one generation, luckily.

And did you know its title in English? It's "Sukiyaki". The producer wanted an easier name, so he looked at a Japanese restaurant menu for a tip :o What's more, an Indonesian-Dutch music group named "The Blue Diamonds" made an English and a German cover, and the English cover included lyrics like "I'll take my sukiyaki", "We'll be united a bride and a groom" :D
13 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
yup - I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if I know the song, and it's become a tradition that every time my town has its twice-yearly mini-festival that I *have* to sing it with my teacher's band! They also made me sing it for my school last year at the 6th graders' last lunch before graduation. It's definitely a great song to have in your repertoire ;-)
13 years ago
Report Content
Level: 4
[quote author=Urashima_Taro link=topic=523.msg6844#msg6844 date=1297936793]
いてこう is one typical "Classic oldies" song.
[/quote]

That song actually topped the U.S. music charts in 1963. Weird, eh?
13 years ago
Report Content
Garyuuchin
Kind of late, but:
いてこう について Interesting song. Topped the charts in Australia too.
As for other recommended songs:
AKB 48 びらたちがくごろ (interesting video)、していた (not pretty)
Girl Next Door: Drive Away
Almost any of the theme songs from Full Metal Panic (れない would make a good start)
13 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
yes, れない is definitely a great song - also very easy to hear the lyrics on (and you've got the first chorus written out for you here too *looks at signature*) I tend to forget just where I pull things from haha
Another couple great bands that I just remembered are Zone (my favorite of theirs is 'Secret Base がくれたもの') and V6 ('Darling' has some awesome Japanese/English puns in it!) - the songs I mentioned are some of my favorites, but both groups have a lot of great songs!
13 years ago
Report Content
メリー is my personal favorite. Their lyrics are visceral in both a beautiful and strange sense, and the music is rich. Try , さよなら (レイン), and .
Moran is vocally similar, but their musical style is more consistent. Bleach, and へ are decent.
Kra is amusing and happy if oshare-kei is your thing. ラジオ, mothercoat, and lynch. are all good j-indies too. More notable j-rock other than those are Plastic Tree, ギルガメッシュ, D'espairsray, Dir en grey, the Gazette, Kagrra,, and シド, to add to what's already been mentioned.
I don't know a lot about jpop, sorry ^^;;
13 years ago
Report Content
メリー is my personal favorite. Their lyrics are visceral in both a beautiful and strange sense, and the music is rich. Try , さよなら (レイン), and .
Moran is vocally similar, but their musical style is more consistent. Bleach, and へ are decent.
Kra is amusing and happy if oshare-kei is your thing. ラジオ, mothercoat, and lynch. are all good j-indies too. More notable j-rock other than those are Plastic Tree, ギルガメッシュ, D'espairsray, Dir en grey, the Gazette, Kagrra,, and シド, to add to what's already been mentioned.
I don't know a lot about jpop, sorry ^^;;
13 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 3

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Anything Goes

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana