Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
たるもの
1. Those who are A; That which is A
Usually followed by something a person/thing (A) like that can('t)/should(n't) do
    たる もの                  
Those who are leaders must always be calm and collected.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

できるだけ
Level: 28
You don't need to use with たる; I've seen it followed by a variety of nouns, though they generally refer to a person. AたるB might be a more comprehensive format?
11 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260
Ok - confirmed, and will adjust the data! Edit: left and simply added a new usage, since is very, very commonly used.
11 years ago
Report Content
tensaimon
Level: 1
Are たる and ともあろう interchangeable? I've got two questions in my book where たる is the answer to one and ともあろう is the answer to the other. I showed a native speaker who said たる implies respect whereas ともあろう implies disrespect for someone in a high position (similar to まじき?): 1)オリンピック(たる)もの、のためにベストくすべきだ。 2)(ともあろう)のものが、するなんてけない。
10 years ago
Report Content
taxus
Level: 19

Can the kanji also be used for people (as opposed to )? The construction section uses but the examples (and some gammer study questions) use . Can the kanji and be used interchangeablly?
1 year ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1484

Personally, I've mostly seen it written in hiragana only, as もの.

But should be used for people and should be used for things, such as:

にたる - the deceased people

えたる - the hungry people

たる - insignificant thing

たる - most extreme thing

To double check, I also tried searching for たるもの in Google. "たる" appears 7 times, while "たる" appears 304 times.

So perhaps these sentences were written with もの and were just badly bound to renshuu's dictionary?

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260

I was actually curious about this myself, but not having seen anything that describes it explicitly as using one or the other, I split it up depending on what it was referring to.

That being said, I have plans (not sure if it'll happen this year, but we'll see) to greatly improve the grammar linking within sentences, and it'll be much easier for it to bind words that normally have kanji, but hide the kanji depending on the grammar point being used.

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana