Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Is it me?...Faliing out of love with Japan...

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

nightops
Level: 1
This site has been a godsend for me. I love the chance to discuss different topics and of course the opportunity to study at my own pace and see results. Unfortunately my recent experience in Japan (excluding Renshuu) hasn't been as wonderful. I was reading a post (I believe it was about 7 months ago) about whether or not Japanese cared about foreigners speaking the language or being interested in Japan which moved me to write this post. I 1st came to Japan 20 years ago (yeah that pretty much makes me an old fart), stayed 6 years and returned home (USA),came back the following year and stayed another 5 years (married a Japanese-national) and returned home then came back 6 years later with child. Against my better judgement but prudent at the time, I got a job at GEOS which went belly up 7 months later, and left me a homemaker in a small town. Needless to say, the GEOS experience left a bad taste in my mouth considering I had moved my family to the town just for the job. But I feel I also may have expected too much from the Japanese here. As a young single foreigner travelling the country and world with far less responsibility and foresight, I understood the Japanese view of me as a free-spirit. In my heart I am. I also understood that they might be less apt to invest their energy in me because, after all, how long was I going to stay? Was I just there to make money, play around and then leave? And I admit, I was a pretty wild child. Having returned married with children (my 2nd child was born 3 years ago), I didn't notice any difference in my interactions with Japanese. I expected that since I was infinitely more invested in Japan (with a family here) than previously, it would somehow be evident in my dealings with Japanese. No longer the free-wheeler, I was settled down. But I still felt I was treated as entertainment. That is, their interactions with me were superficial and usually to feed their curiousity which is understandable. It has become common for Japanese to ask to see pictures of my kids but I have never had a Japanese person reciprocate, that is to offer to show pictures of their own kids. (Sure, you could say they may have thought that I wasn't interested but common sourtesy would argue otherwise) I've been invited to cherry-blossom viewings and other events and been asked to please bring my wife and kids but upon arriving found that I was the only one there with family, everyone else had arrived without spouse or children. Those two examples come to mind, and I have been here long enough to know that 99% of my experiences have been fine. And we know that all it takes is one or two, or three bad experiences to temper one's expectations for a long time. I'm trying to make the best of things. I study the language and can speak well enough to handle daily living. (though I must admit that regardless of how much I study, I find myself being asked the same questions asked twenty years ago. I think we all know the routine) This is the first time I've lived in the country and I must confess, I am a city person. Living in a fishbowl gets old after awhile. Has anyone else had similar experiences or is in a similar situation? Are my experiences out of the ordinary for foreigners who have decided to have a family in Japan? Any advice on how to fall back in love with the country I have adopted as my second home? Having lived in Japan for as long as I have, I feel I know Japanese fairly well, but I am new at raising a family here. Thanks for any advice in advance!
11 years ago
Report Content
I have absolutely no personal experience with a situation like this, so I'm sorry to say I have no advice for you. All I can say is that what you're experiencing does not sound unfamiliar. I've heard similar stories from other people who have lived in Japan. While the country has an incredibly magnetic charm to many of us in the West, Japan isn't necessarily the easiest place to acculturate onesel. A hugely homogeneous population can have that effect. Not as a Japan-expert to person, but just a person to person, can I ask if you're miserable? If so, and Japan is obviously the source of your misery, I think you should look for an exit strategy as opposed to trying to find a way to force yourself to tolerate a culture that doesn't accept you. If you still have a generally good life, and are only sometimes bothered by the things that are happening to you, I think you should chalk it up to human nature. You'll find roughly the same balance of good people, bad people, wise people, ignorant people, inclusive people, ad exclusive people wherever you go in the world. Best of luck to you. I'm hoping to get off my butt and find a job in Japan one of these days. I've listened to countless cautionary tales such as your own, so I can say that I won't be going there with sakura-colored glasses. No matter how I speak, dress, act, eat, etc. I'll never be considered truly Japanese. And I'm OK with that.
11 years ago
Report Content
nightops
Thanks Kurofune! You definitely have the right approach to coming to Japan. I'm not miserable. In fact I feel a bit embarrassed since relatively speaking things are going well. I'm financially secure with a family that is healthy and loves me. I was definitely venting, but I wanted to share that experience as well though I felt apprehensive about doing so in this forum since I'm new here. As I said, 99% of the time, things go well but as they say, "once bitten twice shy". I appreciate your time, comments and consideration.
11 years ago
Report Content
lilisin
I wasn't too sure I had the experience to reply to your topic, but perhaps I do. At least when it comes to feeling like your identity isn't enough in a country. I'm 100% French but I was born in the US. When I'm in the US, people consider me French, but when I'm in France, I'm the American girl. When I lived in Argentina I was whatever I presented myself as at the time and people would decide "what I was". When I was in Japan, I was strangely able to assimilate myself the best there but there are always going to be those frustrating moments where you feel like you just fit in. Living in the US all of my life for the most part and yet I still get that French attitude sometimes of "Ugh, Americans!". When that happens though, I try to remember what I love about the country and what I love about myself and my associations with the country. And at the end of the day, your heart is with the people who surround you, not the random passerby. I hope that helps comfort you somewhat.
11 years ago
Report Content

This is actually very interesting to read. I don't have that experience myself, but I've dated foreign guys for some time and in a strange way I think I know what a culture shock can be. For instance, when I've dated a Canadian guy, I inevitably was the Euro gf. When I've dated an Italian guy, he couldn't help but see me as the Spanish gf. In some way we will always be kind of detached from people from different cultures. That doesn't mean they don't appreciate or love us, but it's always going to be there (unless you're both strangers in a different culture, then it might change).

9 months ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana