Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
ごとに
1. Occurs every A
A can be a span of time, distance, or situation
  2  ごとに               
I've decided on going on an overseas trip every two years.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

ヴェーダ
Level: 233
How is this different from ずつ which is also used in time intervals?
10 years ago
Report Content
Hi Vedha I think it might be to do with quantity? I know that ずつ is used after a quantifier e.g. つずつおえる 'I learn 5 kanji every day' whereas ごとに you can use after a regular noun: ごとにてる・しょうがつはいえごとにかどまつをたてる 'They put up pine tree decorations at every house on New Year's Day.' I know thatずつ emphasises the 'equal distribution' of the event as well, I'm not sure thatごとに does that.
10 years ago
Report Content
lostinwakayama
Level: 1
Maybe add the kanji for it, since some people used that in their example, even though it's rarely used? I never knew that could be read as ごと and was confused for a moment.
10 years ago
Report Content
lilisin
This is a few months late but ごとに can be used after a verb. ex. なんかうごとに、えていってないか。 With every day that passes, it seems like you come home with a new injury.
9 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
Excellent point, updated!
9 years ago
Report Content
lilisin
I have found another example that follows a different format than the above. おさんには、だいたいテーブル[b]ごとに[/b]きながあって、でおきをる。
9 years ago
Report Content
Harshal
How is ごとに different from おきに? Could someone please clarify? Thanks
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
nihongo-c.co.jp/blog/blog-entry-112.html
So, this is pretty interesting. If the time before it is in seconds, minutes, or hours, they are the same.
If it is in days, months, years, they are different. With these longer times, ごとに means what you'd expect it to. However, おき means that time is placed (おく) in between the two events.
おきに means A, then 1 day, then B.
3おきに means A, then 3 years passes, then B.
4 years ago
Report Content
Posad

This construction can also be used "spacially", as in "さんはごとにしている。", Mr. Kimura greets every person he meets. See A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.

This is already reflected in some of the quizing questions, and should be updated here.

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Updated it, thank you!

3 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
Level: 110

the grammar point says "A can be a span of time, distance, or situation" but the construction scheme only show the first 2, the "situation" is not in there :)
Or, it could have the noun+ごとに, ad in the example above ごとに

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I think situation would fit under "verb" - I try to use the types of speech as much as possible, but in certain situations, I think it makes more sense to go further and specify what type of thing. I think this one could benefit from adding Noun, though, so I'll make sure it's in there!

2 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana