Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
Occurs every A
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Years Studied: Since 2011
Studying: JLPT N1
Level: 4, : 135
How is this different from ずつ which is also used in time intervals?
7 years ago
Years Studied: Too many/ not enough
Studying: All JLPT Levels
Level: 1, : 15
Hi Vedha I think it might be to do with quantity? I know that ずつ is used after a quantifier e.g. つずつおえる 'I learn 5 kanji every day' whereas ごとに you can use after a regular noun: ごとにてる・しょうがつはいえごとにかどまつをたてる 'They put up pine tree decorations at every house on New Year's Day.' I know thatずつ emphasises the 'equal distribution' of the event as well, I'm not sure thatごとに does that.
7 years ago
Level: 1, : 67
Maybe add the kanji for it, since some people used that in their example, even though it's rarely used? I never knew that could be read as ごと and was confused for a moment.
6 years ago
Studying: Until I'm satisfied.
Level: 1, : 133
This is a few months late but ごとに can be used after a verb. ex. なんかうごとに、えていってないか。 With every day that passes, it seems like you come home with a new injury.
5 years ago (Edited 5 years ago.)
Site admin
Level: 22, : 4,073
Excellent point, updated!
5 years ago
Studying: Until I'm satisfied.
Level: 1, : 133
I have found another example that follows a different format than the above. おさんには、だいたいテーブルごとにきながあって、でおきをる。
5 years ago
Level: 1, : 1
How is ごとに different from おきに? Could someone please clarify? Thanks
8 months ago
Site admin
Level: 22, : 4,073
nihongo-c.co.jp/blog/blog-entry-112.html
So, this is pretty interesting. If the time before it is in seconds, minutes, or hours, they are the same.
If it is in days, months, years, they are different. With these longer times, ごとに means what you'd expect it to. However, おき means that time is placed (おく) in between the two events.
おきに means A, then 1 day, then B.
3おきに means A, then 3 years passes, then B.
8 months ago
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.