Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Driver's license

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

lostinwakayama
Level: 1
Yeah, this is a bit more "living in Japan" thing, but there are some other people here, so good a place to ask as any. I did not get my driver's license back home in Canada. Public communication was too convenient, and there are costs, etc, that just make not having one easier. That being said, while I live in Kanto, it's not exactly Tokyo, and so I'm looking to get my driver's here. Not transfer, not from the international driver's, from scratch. I understand most parts of getting a license here, but am unable to find something regarding the legality of learning to drive outside of a driving school. My father-in-law used to be a driving instructor, so he's willing to teach me some, and other friends want to help, too, but... I haven't seen anything regarding a learner's permit or anything like it. Does anyone know anything about this? The prices for driving schools here are a bit high, so if I can avoid them, of course I'd prefer that. Thanks in advance!
10 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260
I believe your problem is going to be that the driving schools seem to be linked (business wise) to the actual license centers, so getting your license without going to the schools is going to be like saying 'I want to get something that you normally receive money for (from the driving schools), but I want to get it for free.' This might just be false information that has been repeated so many times that it has become accepted, but that is definitely the feeling I got as they failed me for ridiculous reasons when converting my intl license to a local one.
10 years ago
Report Content
lostinwakayama
Yeah - the thing I hate about here is trying to find actual... written proof for most anything. For example, bicycle laws. There are many different things which people will say what you are allowed to do, must do, etc. It took me months of looking and asking different places to finally get a concrete list of what you can or cannot do on a bicycle. So I finally found something that indicates while you are on a bicycle, if you are on the road, you should drive as cars do. I specifically printed out the Japanese and spoke with a policeman at a local police box. The ironic thing is, when I drive like that, people I know always say I'm driving dangerously. Whatever. Yeah, if I were Japanese, I'd feel no worries about doing what the Japanese do (essentially, whatever they want, and as long as it doesn't cause an accident, there are no problems), but since my future visa renewals, and even if I get a PR visa, are reliant on me having caused no issues, I can never do this stuff. Frustrates me to no end. So I really want to find something that validates what my father-in-law says before I try learning outside of a driving school. Bah. Would have just gotten my license in Canada, but I only found out I was moving here with little notice, and my area of Canada has a 5 year waiting period through different stages while your license goes from probational to another probational and then 5 years later with no tickets or anything, ta-da, you're a driver.
10 years ago
Report Content
Kanto? You really did take a wrong turn in Wakayama! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)
10 years ago
Report Content
lostinwakayama
Wakayama's a wonderful place, but a bit too inaka to spend the rest of my Japan life there. Will be going back to visit friends from time to time, but my in-laws are based in Kanto, which makes the support system for starting a family better here, and of course, tons of relatives are generally good for young 'uns. Would go back to Wakayama if I could bring the in-laws and make... Wakayama... not so rural. :P
10 years ago
Report Content
lostinwakayama
Oh, might have something here! Apparently you can have a provisional driver's license, or , in preparation for taking your Class 1 test, but it expires if you don't pass the test within 6 months. This sounds like what I want! Now I just need to have my wife read it over because anything I can find on it is... well, it'd take a while for reading other than the points I gleamed from it, and Google Translate still SUCKS. http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BB%AE%E9%81%8B%E8%BB%A2%E5%85%8D%E8%A8%B1
10 years ago
Report Content
lostinwakayama
Well, last August I just went forth with the stupid driving school. Expensive, but you won't get any BS when you do get to the prefectural level tests.
9 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana