Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Accents

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

shirokitsune
Level: 1023
Just wondering about different accents used in pop culture and media. I have come across many different things that I don't really understand and i classify them as accents but without a formal teacher I have nowhere else to ask. My girlfriend said that they are just individual speach and not accents, like America vs England. One example I found in LOZ: Spirit tracks was 「だまたちまったのかい?」and 「わかってんのかい?」What would you consider the this?
10 years ago
Report Content
Level: 1
Do you mean the のかい at the end? かい or のかい is a casual, rustic or colloquial, normally masculine speech pattern form of か or のか (you can also say だい instead of だ), often intended to illicit a yes or no response. I prefer rustic over colloquial because I don't think (though I might be wrong) it's associated with any particular region.
10 years ago
Report Content
shirokitsune
Level: 1023
Thanks I really had no idea what that was and still being somewhat a beginner I didn't know where to find the answer on my own.
10 years ago
Report Content
Level: 1
Never played LOZ, but in Maison Ikkoku there's Mrs. Ichinose, a boozy busybody with a Tugboat Annie personality, who spoke that way all the time.
10 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana