Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - So about moving to Japan & I was rejected by INTERAC today...

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

edophoto
Level: 1

Hello all. I'm looking some perspective, truth, and advice if available. I found this site looking for more information on applying for teaching English.

I'm on a mission to move to Japan. Specifically Tokyo, however I'll do what I have to if it's Osaka or so. I am a photographer who has been chasing NYLON mag for a few years. Since it's fairly difficult getting information from my friends there in a reasonable time, I decided to try to be an ALT so that I can get into the country and then work on my other careers in my personal time.

That said, I was rejected by INTERAC today. I have a connection who works with them in Japan for a few years now, and he said they may be the easiest company to get into. Then I got rejected. Argh. Guess not.

And they don't tell you why. Now what?

Otherwise, my love for Japan runs deep, I have a good friend network in Japan, and I have been talking to them for a long time about how/what finding a job there. Been there twice, and I have done several photo shoots in my favorite areas- Harajuku, Shinjuku, Daikanyama.

I'm exploring every option...meanwhile I'm in year two of my nihongo study.

I want to move there. NOW ;)

7 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

Sorry to hear about that. If you will permit the ridiculous comparison of you to a piece of cake, it may simply be that they got to your application at the end of a long meal, and simply did not have any more space for cake. In other words, while I am not sure when you submitted your application, right now is probably the hardest time to come over, because most schools and Boards of Educations have already finalized their teacher lists for the school year which starts in just under two weeks. It might not be anything about you as a person, but rather that your application came after everything filled up. Always worth applying again!

As you said, they do not tell you why the reject applicants. Anything I or anyone says will be probably be a bit of a shot in the dark, but based on what you wrote, there is one thing that stuck out to me.

I am pretty certain that the majority of Interac ALTs do not get placed in cities like Tokyo and Osaka. Most people, like I did back when I was with them, got send out to the sticks. Competition for those big city spots is fierce, as many people aren't all too familiar with the Japan outside of Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto, similar to how most Japanese citizens only know a few main cities in the United States.

While there is fairly large turnover in any ALT company, the company loses time and money with people that don't make it a year, or leave after one year (training, orientation, etc.). So, they are most likely looking for people who are more flexible with their location preference, and isn't really focused in on one or two locations.

I don't even know if this came up in your interview, but it will help in future interviews to show interest in Japan as a country, not Japan as Tokyo. If you didn't talk about Tokyo, great, but if you did, it may be helpful to talk about your interest in the country, wherever you go. It will show flexibility and reasonableness on your part, and make you a more attractive candidate.

Hope this helps!

Lastly, again, this is complete speculation on my part, but my guess is that they want people who are interested/like Japan, not love Japan. For the vast majority of people, I'd say Japan is no better or worse than many developed nations. In other words, for all the wonderful things here, there are just as many problems or negatives. I have been here for over ten years, and while I enjoy living here, if I had to list all the problems I have or the country has, I could come up with just as large a list as I could for the US, my home.

I think this ties in a bit with the Tokyo v. rest of Japan thing, but if you show too much interest in a relatively small slice of the country, the might worry that you will become disappointed/disillusioned in the highly likely scenario that you are stationed in the other 99% of the country. Not satisfied -> wish you could be in Tokyo -> quit work -> they have to find someone else.

So, in short, show a balanced interest in Japan and a willingness to be flexible with what you are met with, and your chances at finding something will surely go up.

Good luck!

7 years ago
Report Content
shirokitsune
Level: 1023

I 100% agree with what マイコ- said. Really take his advice to heart if you want to apply for a job in Japan. This is my last week as an employee with Interac. In April I will be working at a private kindergarten teaching 3 year olds. I have worked with other ALT companies in the past and I must say Interac was my least favorite. I hope you find a way to make it to Japan and keep on trying.

7 years ago
Report Content
edophoto
Level: 1

Arigatou マイコー ya Shiro san.

I think it was great advice.

Indeed, my plan was to first ask for metro areas, and see what happens. I will definitely make myself to be more 'available' :) I am from New York..quiet/rural areas are not the best for me, however I'll just have to get over it/work something out. Timing as well, my application was likely off by a month or so for this year, however the interac agent told me they are screening for 2018.

Driving was a huge question as well- and I feel like it plays a big roles in the 'can you, cant you' areas of the application. At my level of nihongo/kata/kanji, that is a reeeeaaalll stretch, unfortunately.

Otherwise I have been looking for work there for years through my connections in fashion/photography- and teaching was on the list, maybe not so high on it. But I have become enthused to do it because of the English challenges of my nihonjin friends.

I'll begin working on my applications for the other companies that possibly hire year round.

kanpai

-edo

7 years ago
Report Content
shirokitsune
Level: 1023

Look at a company called borderlink. When I first got hired it was through them and it was for a job that started in August. Interac have staff members that travel as substitutes for when problems arise but Borderlink just hires new staff when a teacher has to suddenly leave Japan or the schools.

7 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana