Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - わしめる

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Buu
Level: 1
I got another question regarding a sentence I've been racking my brain over the past few days. I'm reading a novel at the moment and there's a nonsensical just-for-fun checklist at the beginning to evaluate yourself, the point in question being following:

ナマハゲをして、あんたがだとわしめたことがある。

Now I can't really rhyme together at all what this sentence is trying to say. I think I get the point of ナマハゲ being some sort of game played in the Akita prefecture where people dressed as devils go from home to home scolding kids and adults for being lazy and behaving badly. わしめる apparently is an old form of わせる, usually accompanied by をして to signify the person doing the action. But I'm still unsure about who is doing / receiving which action.

First of all, who is あんた referring to? Is it me, the reader, or the person I have presumably visited while being out as a ナマハゲ? Is the をして here part of that fixed expression mentioned above or does it actually just mean "while doing namahage"?

Edit: Having done some more research, I have found out that わしめる can be used in the sense of "giving somebody an actual reason to say certain things" - with the expression of ~をして~とわしめる, could the sentence be translated as "When visited by a namahage, you gave him a reason to call you evil", implying that I am the one behaving badly here?

What exactly is this sentence saying? Can anybody enlighten me?
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana