Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Kanji mnemonics - feature discussion

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Page: 1 of 2

マイコー
Level: 261
I'm about ready to add the tool so that users can add their own mnemonics to kanji characters in the site. They will be available in the dictionary, in term lists, and will be utilized in an upcoming feature to enhance introduction of terms when they are first studied.

I'd like to know what you are interested in having in terms of input. Here is what I have in mind:

a - Of course, it is fundamentally text, so some text input.
b - A list of buttons with all the components in the kanji. Clicking those will throw the image into the text. So, if you were explaining , it could look like this:

A person (insert the left half of the character) resting against a tree (right half).

So the final product would be a mix of text and images.

Anything else?
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892
A long time ago I have seen mnemonics somewhere that used different colours to highlight the parts/kanji and their meaning. Depending on what people want to study, one would need 2 to 3 colours: one for the kanji, one for the parts, and maybe another to distinguish the radical from the other parts.
If not colours, then maybe underlines, bold text etc. may serve the same purpose. (Imo italics don't really stand out especially if the mnemonic is in Japanese.)
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Ooh...hmm...that might be doable, but tricky. If I could pull it off, that would be amazing. 

Wait...are you talking about different colors in the text, or in the actual character itself?
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
lol. That would make very colourful kanji. xD
In the text, of course.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
This is now available on beta renshuu! Once you are in beta renshuu, check out this forum thread:

https://www.renshuu.org/forums/topics/7381/%5BFUTURE_RELEASE%5D_Mnemonics
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
Nice! Are those mnemonics meant to be shared, at some poinr? Let us see others' mnemonics and decide if we want to see them or not in the future?
That would be great.
Mnemonics for words would be great too.
I like how you thought about letting us do those mnemonics in different languages. Not sure how come there's Slovene (2.5 M speakers) and not Italian (~70 M) or Vietnamese (there seems to be an awful lot of Japanese learning material in that language, so there's certainly a very good dictionary database available), but I'm Ok with the current choice. However, the name of that language is either Slovene or Slovenian. You might have gotten "Slovenic" from the German Slowenisch?
I did one try, and I noticed that the keyboard covers the button below the writing area.
Also, here is another little display issue in this very page, but the same happens regularly in forum pages:
2v7ktsfs77axfzxakruki0okb.jpg
The addresses are not shortened, or line-broken by / and _
This moves the dictionary and messages buttons out of the screen, to the right.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
  1. Fixed the link length (beta)
  2. Mnemonics are, by default, public. I'll add a private marker in case they don't want to share (but default to public)
  3. I just copied the languages based on what is available for the dictionaries, so the setting there for preferred language gets used here as well!
  4. Suki points will be available here, so if you downvote something, it won't appear for you again.
  5. changed to Slovenian.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
1 Nice
2 Perfect
3 OK
4 Perfect
5 Better

And there's the display issue, same as another pop-up, a couple days ago.
z2rd37s0oe8ejocd2m6dtwcr5.jpgI did this mnemonic a couple hours ago, and I could see what I was writing but not the button below the writing field. It seems you moved the pop-up down, now I can't see the writing field, it's covered by the keyboard.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
  1. It now shifts to the top.
  2. You can now mark them as private
  3. For other people, arrows appear for voting. Voting one down prevents it from appearing for you. Otherwise, they will appear in order of popularity.
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
I noticed that an uploaded mnemonic doesn't show up immediately. I have to refresh the dictionary first. It always gives me the feeling that something went wrong.
Another thing... Some kanji contain parts which are believed to be katakana. E.g. for I get the following three parts - つ - . Well, it took me a while to understand that the "three hairs" above the woman are supposed to be a katakana ツ. Can you please change the hiragana into katakana for clarification?
And I really want colours as highlighters.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Added some toys to the mnemonic maker, check it out!

Also, fixed .
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Interesting. The underlines automatically come in different colours and it's even possible to combine the two options. But why does the preview look so strange?
jifxdnqzxpganrusjv2goqufx.jpg
And I'm not sure yet if the underlines stand out enough, e.g. the purple is barely visible. I think, I'd prefer having the text coloured, especially in night mode, as it pops more.
The colours change gradually. The red next to the magenta doesn't look very outstanding. If I wanted to specify the radical, I would need colours that are more contrasting like red and blue for instance. 

Mnemonics show up immediately now. Thanks for that.

Btw, can I find a list of all the mnemonics I've written somewhere? With the new toys I feel like going over them again, but I don't remember all the kanji I've already worked on. Maybe an additional tab in the writing section of the dashboard?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
A - Preview should be fixed - it was a styling error on the 4th color
B - I reordered the colors so the similar ones are not next to each other. Additionally, I thickened them up some. 
B2 - That being said, your borders (the color ones) are extremely thin. Does it appear that way in the dictionary as well? What about the underlines on www.renshuu.org/pro ? Do they also look really thin?

epw0dksyy4rncyb5j262i0uen.png

C - As per your suggestion, you can now see them all in the Writing area of the dashboard.
D - It doesn't really look great if the underline includes the radical/piece as well. Wondering what might be a better way to show a link between the color and the radical (if needed).
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
A - Seems to be fixed.
B - Yeah, the colour arrangement is better now.
B2 - The underlines in the dictionary are good now. Underlines and borders in the linked page look like this:

7n4kmjro42s6sq4soioxyms8c.jpg C - Nice. Thanks. Didn't know I wrote 31 mnemonics already.
D - I don't think that it looks so bad when the graphemes are underlined as well. The line slips down a little, because the box encasing the grapheme is too big and descends below the text line.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
It would probably make sense to have this tool available from the study centre when viewing kanji lessons: say you open the lessons kanken 10 / first class, and  then someone could introduce the mnemonics from the schoolbook. Or one could just think about mnemonics for the kanjis he's currently studying, without having to go to the dictionary first.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
@Karlla wow - those lines look terrible. What device/browser are you using, again?

@Nicolas2 - they will *definitely* be included in the main lists - this was the intention from the beginning. I just dumped into the dict. first as we tested it!
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Firefox on windows pc.
The lines are thicker on my mobile.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
What about firefox in privacy/incognito mode? I've got firefox on win10, no extensions installed, cannot get it to appear :(.
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Of the five kanji using as a grapheme,  and don't offer that grapheme as part of the mnemonic. Why?

5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Well, I'm not so modern. I'm still using Win7
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana