Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - [FINISHED] Summer 2019 - Chance for easy, free renshuu pro!

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements > Archived Announcements

Page: 1 of 2

マイコー
Level: 256
Hey all!

We've got two easy ways for you to get some renshuu pro and help others at the same time!

1. Vocabulary pictures!

Get a free day of renshuu pro for every three vocabulary pictures you upload!
A. Find any vocabulary term that doesn't have a picture already, and click the image icon (it may be under the ... icon).
B. Use the search tool to tag a picture that represents that word!

*All pictures must be verified, but so far, only about 1% of pictures have been off-topic, so not a big worry.
*Only for terms without pictures.

2. Kanji mnemonics

Get a free day of pro for each kanji mnemonic you add to the site!
A. Find any kanji without a mnemonic, and add one! (Must be public!)
*All mnemonics will be verified as well!

Period

July and August of 2019 (All pictures/mnemonics already added will also count retroactively)
Extended through September of 2019!!

There's no limit to how much one user can get, so go for it!

What is a mnemonic?

A mnemonic is a memory device used to easily remember something complex. With kanji, people typically make stories out of the parts of the kanji.
Example: (to rest, take a break)
The left part is the radical for person, while the right part is the kanji for tree. So, I added the following:
A person resting against a tree.
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Level: 1144
I went and added a few images. Something's weird about the search engine though, when using the default google.com search engine, the results are completely different than the results I get if I go to google.com or google.co.jp and run an image search. Like, I tried to add an image for , and even though running an image search on the actual google sites mostly returns images of random teenage guys, the results on here are mostly creepy looking dolls O_o And for , despite actual Google image search results returning lots of infinity symbols, the results on renshuu are mostly concert photos.
5 years ago
Report Content
じゅうり
Level: 1685
It would be nice if we could add our own pictures. I was trying to do some winter terms and all I was getting was boy bands, weird dolls, and for some reason an octopus. I have some I took that illustrate the terms exactly, but there is no way to post them.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
the Google search in the site is limited to pictures that do not have copyright restrictions on them. I want to do everything I can to prevent copyrighted pictures from bring uploaded... This is my main reason for that. I realize it's not ideal. We should have the interface for a huge clip art site up as soon as they get some issues worked out.
5 years ago
Report Content
NEKO~
Level: 3
I added a kanji mnemonic to the simple kanji of DA/TA but a didn't get the renshuu pro even for a single day. how do I activate it?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I looked closer at the google search parameters, and I believe it is getting a broader range now of images that can still safely be used on the site. Try out some searches, let me know if its improved.

NEKO - sorry, let me clarify it in the original post. I'm going to do batches on Sunday of each week so you don't get a bunch of individual 1-day vouchers, but ones for the entire week. I hope this works for you!
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Found a possible bug with adding images. I tried to add an image for from the google search engine, but after clicking the check box, although it turned green, the popup didn't close and the dictionary didn't update. I was able to add an image using the pixabay image just fine.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Which image was it?
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
I like that you clarified the bold / undelined rules for the mnemonics. I changed mine accordingly (and maybe corrected a couple mistakes…).

Found a possible bug with adding images. I tried to add an image for from the google search engine, but after clicking the check box, although it turned green, the popup didn't close and the dictionary didn't update. I was able to add an image using the pixabay image just fine.
いました。

I noticed I have to click twice, did you try?
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
It was the second image in the second row. Clicking twice didn't do anything. Interestingly, I ran the search again and tried the first image in that row and it worked just fine.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Both errors should be resolved (the double clicking, the image that froze).
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Thanks, I tried the image again and it worked.
5 years ago
Report Content
NEKO~
Level: 3
マイコー は 07 25, 8:55に

NEKO - sorry, let me clarify it in the original post. I'm going to do batches on Sunday of each week so you don't get a bunch of individual 1-day vouchers, but ones for the entire week. I hope this works for you
yes alright. that works perfectly fine.arrigatou. 9(O>O)9 
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
The first week's bonuses are out! Partially due to the fact that some users were able to get in early on the action during the previous beta round, a few hundred days' worth of renshuu pro was given out! 

Next update will be on the following Sunday, so keep on adding those pictures!
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Thank you, this period of pro Renshuu will allow for a perfect preparation of the JLPT N3! Also, it feels like it's really helpful. There are already dozens of kanjis that I used to confuse with similar-looking kanjis that I won't confuse any more. And the process of looking for images (while repeating the word needing illustration) is also useful in itself). Hopefully the illustrations will also be useful to all.
5 years ago
Report Content
じゅうり
Level: 1685
Well, looks like it doesn't automatically apply the bonus if you have a subscription. Now I have to wait a full year until I can redeem the days. If I manage to remember that long. Really could have used the extension on my renewal date.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
じゅうり - this functionality is not available for some of the payment processors that I use, so I did not take the time to build it into the site. That being said, at the end of the bonus period, I will, for those paying with a compatible payment type (it does work for Amazon, have not checked with the other two yet.), I will be happy to extend the subscriptions manually.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Shouldn't the pictures be visible after one answered (correctly or incorrectly) during the vocab quizzes? It's not the case for me. If not, could there be an option for this? Seeing the pic while listening to the word would probably help create more useful connections, between my ears.
Also, the pics are sometimes hard to identify, on the phone screen. I tried to select those I picked with this issue in mind, but sometimes they're not quite clear at first glance. If they could be 25% taller (compared to how they appear in the dictionary), that would be great.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Also, now that there are hundreds of images, and soon thousands, there is a new display issue:
gzrp0g3y6zaens0imy073i0gq.jpg
The link to sentences would need to be on the line below the 3 buttons, as a possible solution, to avoid most words being cut in 2 lines, and the translation cut in too many lines. Here you see that because of the line break, it would take a few attempts to read it correctly. てっきーよう。。。てっきよう。。。てっきょう
Or the pic could be on the right, above the line with "sentences" and the 3 buttons
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Both seem fixable. Will work on it tomorrow!
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements > Archived Announcements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana