test

Forums - Mnemonics - visual upgrades

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

Page: 1 of 5

マイコー
Level: 262
So, look at the following:
4bq4gvgbtwn5swf7088etohme.png

I'm thinking of adding this feature where any mnemonic can create a colored version of the kanji that can be toggled on mouseover or button. The parts of the kanji that are colored in the mnemonic are mimicked in the above display (or elsewhere) This + definition + mnemonic might be a nice "card" for tossing onto instagram and the like to help people study, too.

General thoughts?
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
That would be brilliant! Are you learning French?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Sorry to disappoint, but no. I was testing the foreign definitions on the kanji on my development copy of the site, and never changed it because since that site is just for testing, and not for using.
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892
That looks very interesting. Although I already know that for some of my mnemonics it won't work.
How exactly does it work? I sometimes chose parts that don't appear in the list. Can the system recognise and connect those?
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
I was testing the foreign definitions on the kanji 
いました。
I'll remind you the 2 issues with some word non-English definitions:
-Sometimes the first part of the definition is missing. So for example a def>kana question would be "to refuse, to reject", so one answers ことわる, but it's wrong, the expected answer is ける, because the first part, "to kick" was missing.
-The second issue is related. Since some definitions are of lower quality, there should be a possibility to edit a custom definition from the dictionary.
I'll do today's quizzes in Russian, to find out if the problem of amputated definition is only in French or more spread out. It's only 2% or 3% of words, but enough to be annoying (now I've edited most problematic defs).
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
I just needed about 15 questions to see that it's worse. In the case of the French defs, I'm pretty sure there was a problem at the import, maybe not so with the Russian.
First, there are fewer defs on the database you use (than in French). For example it switched to English for , or めぐまれる. At the very least, it's incomplete.
Then the def for ぶつける contains "ぶつける”
And the def for (ひん)starts with "counter of dishes" (should not be first!), and then elegance (OK), and then rough, crude (uh? Oh, OK, that's for のない), and then dignity (should be next to elegance). Oh, and it ends with "ひん”
There are decent Russian Japanese dictionaries out there... But maybe not available for download and use on a different website? In any case, this one is rather weak, if my little quiz was representative of the whole dictionary.
tpfv560b5pfdvvxrqqmjd8kya.jpg
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Please open up a new thread if it's a different issue, otherwise things get mixed up.

There are no available, open dictionaries for other languages that have even close to the amount that English has, nor can you compare them to English directly as the definitions were not built up in a one to one manner. When it is not available, it falls back to English. This is the best solution available, and has nothing to do with the implementation at renshuu. It's more of a quality issue with the original data source. Sorry!
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Sorry for the mix up, it was just a reminder of something I mentioned before. For the Russian, it's mostly as you say. But as I explained, for the French, in some cases the beginning of the open definition (which I check with the Android app Tenjin) is simply missing, such as with ける. The rest of the defs are the same as on renshuu. The other difference being that Tenjin also picked up from tatoeba the many thousands of example sentences translated into French and other languages.
And if I check Russian defs available with Tenjin, I see it's a different database (Open WordNet) as the defs are different, but only slightly better. E.g. there's a def for , but not for まぐまれる.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
@Karlla - the site uses a collection of kanji construction data to see what lines combine into what parts, but the data is limited in some cases. If I implement this, the image/feature won't be available if the mnemonic won't "work" with it.

That being said, can you give me a few examples of kanji that you have written ones for that include pieces that you put in, but are not listed?

@Nicolas2 - Since what I use is also open (jmdict), there is a good chance part of it (at some point) was brought into the open wordnet project. Mixing another definition source into the site would be a tricky thing to do, maybe something to consider in the future.
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
To make my life easier, I'll show off some screenshots.

The simplified kanji for ほたる features a katakana ツ which is listed as a hiragana つ. You corrected the same issue for already, but I suppose more kanji are affected by that issue.
After doing some research, I found that the kanji is based on this part. Since it is easily recognizable especially in the more complicated kanji and makes a lot of sence meaning wise, I used that part for both kanji mnemonics.
rphu0orwz83ea3g8ubjgk7gtk.jpgvi7v4obuyukt2iwskdhhmbzz0.jpg
Next thing I noticed is that some meanings are missing.
ceuft8ffck4haef8ty2uky4cr.jpgji2hxdgzifjwy6t4ahfy3w2mi.jpg
As for I always had a feeling that there is a connection to "leaves" and was kinda dazzled when the corresponding part didn't appear among the choices, so I added it.
cu2p3okrazxqrha6unhin0cp4.jpg
And lastly there are 4 or so kanji using that "sound" + "halbert" compound, but only two of them feature it as a part (missing the meaning, though)...
3frdz6c222sn3wdahqoz3g7xc.jpg
...and the other two don't.
xuyq25ubqx55rapjfidnb2ax5.jpg
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
1 - After checking, I changed all the つ to ツ.
2 - There are 52 pieces I do not have definitions for yet. If you can track any down, I'd certainly be grateful! ツ,ト,マ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?
3 - So, the data file that has all this data, it sometimes recognizes that a few pieces make up a larger piece in the kanji, but does not label what that larger piece is. This is basically what is happening when you have "some of the pieces missing". Now, as to whether I can somehow teach the site to figure out what those are, now that is the tricky thing. I'll keep working on it.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Just a thought : the visual improvement you are working on might also be interesting when you get to show the most similar kanjis (as in Aedict: "do not confuse with"), to highlight the part that is different. Say , if you put one on top of the other, with the left parts highlighted, it might help differentiate them, even better than simply listing the similar-looking kanjis. Those 2 in my example are so frequent they're not so prone to confusion, but for many other pairs, such direct comparison could help.
Edit: not sure why, but here is how I see your post reply, line breaks aren't working correctly:

tff4jua3ccyzyfmiv7gw70hdq.jpg
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
2 - There are 52 pieces I do not have definitions for yet. If you can track any down, I'd certainly be grateful! ツ,ト,マ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Merely hovering over these parts with rikaichamp gives you meanings for almost all of them. Can't be too difficult to track something down.
As for the katakana, they're special as they are a result of simplification and can have various origins. In that case one has to use their imagination to give meaning to those parts.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
A - Most of the parts have names now.
B - Although I cannot look at all of them as a whole, I took the examples you had to see what was going on:
"And lastly there are 4 or so kanji using that "sound" + "halbert" compound, but only two of them feature it as a part (missing the meaning, though)..." --> The way the character was built in the dictionary for the stroke diagrams prevents the site from being able to reasonably guess how these pieces come together in the kanji that do not already have the piece listed. 
C - looking at , you actually put a piece in there that isn't in the kanji itself. the leaf kanji has a few extra strokes on top, and I have not yet been able to find anything that suggests the piece on the right side of the kanji exists as a single unit.
D - I also tried to make the mobile version of the constructor a bit more space-conscious.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
The wrapping issue should be gone.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
The wrapping issue should be gone.
いました。

Yes!
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
C - Uh... I'm pretty sure I put a piece in there that IS in the kanji. I used  not (the difference is barely recognizable, I know). If I can write it, it should exist...no? My rikaichamp recognises it, too.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
hmm...I swear that's not what I saw the last time I looked at it, but I was pretty sick when I checked it yesterday. Let me look again and get back to you.
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Well, I didn't change anything and the screenshot shows it quite clearly, I believe. But I know that feeling. Happens to me a lot during quizzes that I see things that aren't there (and the other way round). In 90% of my mistakes I would swear on my life that I chose the right answer. Get well soon^^
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Ok, so I took a closer look at it. My guess, without having actually asked the people in charge of the list, is that they did not put any characters like  that are not normally used by Japanese in the kanji data file. 

So here is what I think I could do. It would be a bit of work, but if you really want to get that colorful thing down, then I would need to extend the mnemonic tool. Not when you make the mnemonic, but when you "bind" it (similar to sentences), it would say "hey, this other piece you are using, it isn't in my data. Can you tell me which lines belong to it? You could click on a bunch of lines to turn it on, save it, and it would then know how to color it properly.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 5

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana