Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - vocab without example sentence

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

|マルコ|
Level: 110
just noticed that has 0 example sentence, on jisho has 10, so (assuming the source material between jisho and here is the same) I was wondering if something went wrong and those sentences where lost somehow?
If this is not the case, would be possible to add the example sentences from jisho?
Or, there would be a way for me to add them while making available to all other users? (not private sentences)
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262
I doubt the sources are exactly the same. Jisho can repeatedly just dump in an updated version of a sentence database, but renshuu cannot.

If their terms allow it, feel free to enter them in, but currently, there is no way for a user to make sentences that everyone can see.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
Actually, it's again the issue of compound words that is not handled by Renshuu: all of Jisho's example sentences are actually example sentences for ビル, which are available here. When this topic was discussed in this forum (2 months ago?) it occured to me that a rather simple algorithm would handle the vast majority of such problems (including ビル). I could check again and write it down (can't right now)
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262
I remember! I also believe I said (and if I didn't, I'm saying it now) that it is almost impossible for anyone, even a developer, that is not familiar with a code base to guess the difficulty of implementing something. Sometimes something is indeed simple, sometimes it is incredibly different - in this case, the way the sentences are stored in the database makes this rather difficult. Taking a look at jisho.org, they have pretty "flat" data for their sentences.
1. Japanese sentence
2. Furigana

That appears to be it. I do not "think" they even have a "this word is listed in these sentences" - it looks like it is string matching, which is why you can search for ビ and get results, even though that is not a term.

These is nothing wrong with this approach, of course. It's simple, fast, easy to update. However, there is a TON of data that renshuu builds and maintains for any given sentence, including

1. A list of every word in that sentence, and its conjugation if available (so you can get those nice boxes when you mouse over each word, add them to schedules, block from studying, etc.)
2. Kanji markers embedded in every word to make it easier for renshuu to grab a whole bunch of sentences and very quickly compare it to your kanji knowledge and settings and provide an appropriate display (all kanji, mixed kanji/hiragana, all hiragana, furigana)
3. difficult ratings on each sentence based on frequency of contained words so it can better sort some sentences to the top that appear to be easier to understand for users
4. Conjugation markers on every word
5. Various cache tables to make it easier to get the data to you quickly.

This list of four requires a lot of different database fields/tables.

I hope this better illustrates some of the craziness that lives behind each sentence on the site! It gives the site a lot more power and flexibility for each user to customize it as they like, but makes it much more difficult to add things that may appear to be simple.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana