Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - [EXPERIMENTAL] - Super Speedy Mode

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Page: 1 of 2

マイコー
Level: 261
AS WITH ALL EXPERIMENTAL SETTINGS, THIS MUST BE ENABLED IN SETTINGS. BEWARE - THESE ARE UNSTABLE CHANGES.

Super Speedy Mode

Goals:

1. Speed up loading of pages by reducing the amount of html that is rebuilt, javascript that is loaded, etc.
2. Allow for custom font loading (some real nice Japanese fonts) that is slow, but would only have to happen once per session (and not once per page).

Known issues:
1. Using the back button in the browser is currently broken. It will rewind to the proper URL, but it will not display the right page.

This thread is for bugs and discussion of this feature. NO OTHER THREADS should be opened regarding this.
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
Level: 1261
one issue I found: while in quiz, clicking on an image in the answer panel to see it in full and then closing it again, leads to a seemingly endless loading screen (i.e. am not returned to the quiz).
Don't know if this would resolve itself after a sufficient period of time as I tried to open the forum in a new tab (CTRL+Click) which no longer works in speedy mode (i.e. CTRL+Click is essentialyl the same as a normal click)
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
and another issue - not sure yet how to reproduce it, but I did the following:
- finished a scheduled where only one term was due today
- went to the schedule page of the next scheduled with terms due today (~12 due today)
- Started quiz
- Answered first question correctly
- Page only loaded the answer panel confirming it was correct, but did not load next question. Pressing Enter also did not advance to the next question or similar and I had to leave the quiz

EDIT: happened directly again after trying to continue the corresponding schedule right after answering the first term correctly. Sent an in-quiz report this time as well.
It all worked fine for Kanji->Kana schedule where I completed ~100 terms this morning, but it now has this issue in the definition->Kana schedules I started to do
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Haven't looked at your bugs yet.

Update: Back/Forward should be working correctly.
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
Regarding the first bug (watching an image, then returning to quiz), waiting does not seem to help and I am stuck on a page that then look similar to this:

nw6uppwx7ebi6o4zbeww4svhx.png
After restarting the quiz the site is now no longer recognizing "d"->show possible answers, but is still recognizing 1,2,3,4 as "select answer 1,2,3,4".

EDIT: And as an update to the second issue (not new quiz card): it now happened again after I worked my way through the schedules the same way:
- Listing multiple choice -> no problems (except thatimage and not recongizing d issue anymore mentioned above)
- Kanji->Kana typing in (~100 terms in two 50 term batches) -> no problems
- Definition->Kana typing in -> after getting the first item right, no follow-up card is shown:

tpg5kuhr2ywapwbh4v6w3ubmz.pngSo I guess it is either the vector Definition->Kana or something "accumulates" in the background while doing the first two vectors until I reach this "correct, but no more questions for you"-state
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Got it - that should be fixed. Let me know if the shortcuts thing is still weird.
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
I just edited my last post, without refreshing this one to provide some more info to the second bug (and thus have not seen your reply to this, sorry!); already finsihed the multiple choice one, but will report back should it happen again tomorrow or so.

As a side note - leaving speedy mode while in that "no more questions"-state shown in the screenshot in my updated post, reloads the quiz correctly (i.e. still shows the answer and shows the next question) - then going back into speedy mode now seems to work again as well (i.e. can continue answering all questions of this schedule and going to the next schedule with the same vector I continue to get more questions after answering items correctly). will continue to test to see when it breaks again

EDIT: okay, that didn't take long...
- while in quiz that broke without showing new questions:
-- leave speedy mode
-- reenter speedy mode
-- complete all questions of quiz -> no problems
- Start and complete next schedule with same vector (Definition->Kana entry) - 1 batch of questions -> no problems
- Start next schedule with same vector - 1 batch of questions -> after answering first term, no new questions asked

So maybe it breaks after doing any kind of entry vector twice? This is all I can see as recurrent theme currently..

EDIT2: okay, narrowing it further down, it does not seem to break if start the next schedule/quiz directly from the "see how well yoiu have done" page by clicking on the start quiz buttons (was able to complete 4 schedules in a row this way just now), but as soon as I went onto the overview page of a schedule and started the schedule from there, it broke.
In all my previous attempts where this issue occured I always first went to the overview page of a schedule and started the quiz from there.
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
Got it - that should be fixed. Let me know if the shortcuts thing is still weird.
Shortcuts are still weird (gave 2 "close but not what I want" responses, pressing "d" does not reveal the response choices in the following multiple choice screen). I left and re-entered speedy mode multiple times now.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
This is getting complicated pretty quickly. I would avoid entering/leaving repeatedly - once this is matured (whenever that happens), this will become permanently on, so I'd prefer to focus on issues that don't revolve around entering/leaving. The easiest way (without leaving) to give it a "fresh" slate is to use the browser buttons to refresh the page. (not to click something in the site to reload it).
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
This is getting complicated pretty quickly. I would avoid entering/leaving repeatedly - once this is matured (whenever that happens), this will become permanently on, so I'd prefer to focus on issues that don't revolve around entering/leaving. The easiest way (without leaving) to give it a "fresh" slate is to use the browser buttons to refresh the page. (not to click something in the site to reload it).
In that case, maybe ignore my "shortcuts still don't work" comment - for some reason it did not occur to me to hit F5, but after doing so multiple choice now works with "d" to reveal while it did not right before hitting F5.

EDIT: Last update for now - the "d" button works to reveal multiple choice responses, but only for the current quiz. When I start another multiple choice quiz afterwards (independent of starting it directly from the "you are done page" or by first going into the schedule itself), the shortcut stops working. Hitting F5 resolves this again, but this is naturally just a workaround for now and it should not break in the first place.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Wanted to let you know that I believe the shortcuts are fixed, but will not be uploaded til tomorrow (Japan) morning.
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
Will test it out with my tomorrow's batch of terms for sure!

One other thing, I got into the habit of opening latest forum threads using CTRL+Click, but in super speedy mode this is just translated into a single click (i.e. opens the threat in the same window). I can still get different threads open on different tabs by rightclicking them and then select "Open in New Tab", but at least I would appreciate it if CTRL+Click would retain the expected functionality (i.e. open the clicked link in a new tab, even if that tab needs more loading time due to reinitializing speedy mode there).
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Made the update.

Will look into the new tab functionality. I have no doubt there is a way to preserve natural shortcuts like that.
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
Can confirm that CTRL+Click now works as expected, thanks! :)

Also seems like the problem with no further questions popping up is resolved (5th Kana entry schedule without issues) - shortcut issue also seems to be fixed, but am not yet through all. will report back if it appears or not

EDIT: okay... apparently spoke to soon or managed to trigger this issue by writing this post.
I did a schedule questions popped up correctly after answering them, while in the schedule I went on a different tab where I had this post open, wrote the above stuff, returned to the schedule, answered the next question and am now stuck back again on just seeing the answere card while not getting the next question.
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
Posting in the forums while being in a quiz seemingly is not the issue, at least I wasn't able to reproduce it again that way.

But maybe I now found a way to reproduce it more reliably (i.e. was able to force the issue twice in a row), but I am now out of definition->Kana schedules to test it further:
- Go to one schedule page
- Go to a different schedule page
- Start quiz/review on that second page
- no second question after getting the first right (maybe also if one gets the first wrong, only have one term left so cannot test it any further...)
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
One final issue I now noticed while completing my multiple choice schedules (sidenote: keyboard shortcuts remained functional throughout all three schedules, so this seems fixed!):

When hitting F5 and starting a quiz I have the "End Quiz", "Problem" and Keyboard shortcut button/symbols in the top part, but at some point only the "Problem?" button was showned, independent of me being in/starting a quiz or being on the dashboard

70j4x7fqbtwt6pupp74cu0fkc.png
I noticed it a bit late now as I now finished all up and have to go to work anyways, but my first guess would be that the buttons are lost between quizes/schedules or similar...
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
Since this started, I noticed at least 2 bugs:
only the first quiz of the day starts normally, then I have to reload the page
- I can't quote, in the forum.
I like the look of it, though.
Oh, and another problem I noticed when this new function started: everything else sucks. I tried Memrise, for example, to build up my German vocab from 3000 to 5000:
I can't tell him I know very well the top 1000, I know well the next 1000, and I know a bit the third thousand. Am I supposed to start from the beginning, repeating obvious vocab for hundreds of hours, or completely skip what I know and let hundreds of words slowly drift into oblivion?
Why does it make me repeat several times on the same day? What's the point?
Where are the example sentences?
Where are the illustrations?
Where are the grammar explanations?
Where are the games to practice a bit differently?
Why is the ergonomic atrocious on the phone?
Why doesn't it allow variations when typing the plurals which is not always consistent (either only the ending as in -en, or the whole word)

Since Memrise is acclaimed worldwide like something supercallifragilistic, and that I noticed just after the beginning of the Renshuu speedy mode, I see 2 hypotheses:
-the speedy mode somehow broke Memrise and the other super-famous one.
-They were already terrible, compared to Renshuu.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
I forgot to mention what happens when I try to quote: the whole screen is greyed-out, and the page apparently reloads
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I'll be putting more time into speedy mode REAL soon now :).
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Since this started, I noticed at least 2 bugs:
only the first quiz of the day starts normally, then I have to reload the page
- I can't quote, in the forum.

5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana