Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Rare kanji readings taught in high school, and rare but obvious readings

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Nicolas2
Level: 31
I noticed that some readings taught in high school are extremely rare. Currently I'm struggling to keep = シ in my head. I always try to learn at least one word using any new reading I learn, but here the only 3 words with this reading are , ほうし, けいし. The easiest seems to be the first one, offered by Google's keyboard as the 13th possibility for しこう, while the other 2 can't be written at all. In the dictionary all 3 appear at the 9th or 10th position among homophones. Which means that a Japanese person hearing those words will think about several homophones rather than the word with .
I had 3 experiences trying to use rare Japanese words, that I had looked up in advance, with Japanese people that were more educated than average. In all three cases, after I explained what word I meant, the answer was always like "Oh, I didn't know this word".
Is there any point at all learning such rare readings? Or would it be OK to not learn them. My goal regarding reading Japanese is to be able to read blogs, Wikipedia articles, and exchange messages in Japanese. And maybe read some novels. I just got to 1000 kanjis, still a long way to go...
On the contrary, there are many kanjis which have readings that are not taught in school but are actually kind of obvious due to their meaning. きる comes to mind (2nd choice in Google's keyboard), but I've noticed dozens of others, without even searching for them. Wouldn't it make sense to learn those readings? Or would they be understood anyway when they appear? Does anyone ever write う, て, める, (みやこ), (とし), (うた), (ひ) etc anyway? They are all offered by Google's keyboard. Or could such readings appear in not so distant literature, say up to the 19th century?
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Level: 1147
I can't answer all your questions, but on the last point, yes, that is definitely the case, not just in the nineteenth, but also into the twentieth century. I've definitely seen all the examples you've listed in various books. Half the reason I started studying obscure kanji was so I could read works like Night on the Galactic Railroad (written in 1927) and Tales of Tono (1910). Even modern works, like the Sword Art Online novels and many manga, will use the more uncommon or older kanji to write words, perhaps in an effort to be "cool". If you read any non-fiction books, like on the topic of history, you'll see a lot of obscure kanji and words, as quotations from the past are usually not updated for modern Japanese. Also, I've noticed some works that are period pieces will sometimes use older kanji as well.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
Thank you very much for these detailed observations!
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana