Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - About りる...

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Level: 3
So I was looking at the verb りる on this site and it says that the verb is intransitive. I'm assuming that the verb does not take the を particle but sure enough, I see an example sentence near the top that reads "~~バスをりました" or something similar to that. Is this grammatically correct or am I missing something here?
5 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
Level: 1259
Briefly skimming over a couple of resources it does seem that particle を can be used with intransitive verbs as long as those verbs indicate motion and the object is a location. I am not 100% sure on this as I am not really familiar with this usage and to what extend to applies here. sources I found this indication:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/... (at the bottom, right after the table with all the verbs)
http://www.guidetojapanese.org... (also at the very bottom, right before the last example sentence)

Looking through the first 10 example sentences on renshuu for りる, if を is used then on an object that I would consider to reflect a location (like or ), but I see that sentence number 11 now says ~りていました where I am not sure if this is correct now (or is in this context to be interpreted as a location)?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260
I really had to think on this, but I think this is actually easier to think of via English.

バスをりました. I got off the bus. <--- this is using を, but the bus is clearly not an object being acted upon. It, in this sentence, is a location from which you are removing yourself, I would say.

I think it becomes a bit easier to think about when you consider its pair: ろす
バスからろした。<-- you are taking down (removing) the luggage from the bus, and the bus (with a different particle) is semantically occupying the same function, but you are acting upon the luggage.

Hope this helps!
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana