Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - The problem with def>kana multiple choice questions

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Nicolas2
Level: 31
If I enter a synonym of the correct answer, or near-synonym, I get a second shot, then if enter a second synonym, I get a multiple choice. This means that some words can completely remain passive vocabulary (word that I understand but never comes to mind when I want to make a sentence) and still get to mastery level 9.
0p8y7aimu2d4487nm2kphuo5h.jpgThis is one of the words that I understand without problem but never think about when asked, and it's still at mastery 8. There are others like that, up to mastery 9, sometimes there are at least 3 words I could answer that wouldn't be counted wrong.
I tend to like whatever solution allows to reduce the time needed to study per day (excessive schedule was the reason I gave up studying with Anki), but here I'd rather see the opposite, in order to have a chance to force these words into my active vocab.

Maybe, for words of mastery 5+, asking the question a 3rd time? That would reduce the number of words concerned.

Or just not increase the mastery after 2 answers of near-synonyms? (=block the def>kana mastery of the word until the user finally starts remembering the word with multiple choice. After all, they're near synonyms, but a careful reading of the definition after the first answer should differentiate between the correct and any near-synonym. Typically we enter near synonyms because we only read the first word of the def and rush... Or sometimes we just know it's a wrong answer that won't be counted as wrong.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261
I could definitely, next beta-round, allow users to choose how many "retries" they get. That would be relatively easy to do.

I have also thought about this - are there other hints we could give to help the user after the 2nd try?
Step 1: Question, give synonym
Step 2: Question, no hint given --> give different synonym
Step 3: Question, give first character (hiragana/katakana)

This new, third step would give them a big hint, but not the full answer.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana