Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Sentences as a first-class citizens

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

hogacz
Level: 73
Hi, I just bought the "pro" features and I'm still disappointed with how there are features missing comparing to vocabulary, kanji and grammar.
I found using sentence as one of the most powerful technique for easy and natural memorization. I'm still searching for site/app that will be more focused on providing sentence-based learning tools, with ability of doing breakdowns to kanji, grammar and vocabulary.
Here are some basic ideas that I would like to see implemented for sentences:
  • manage custom sentences lists
  • at any place sentence is shown should be possible to click "add to my list -> default list | pick list | create list"
  • make quizzes and schedules from sentences, treat a sentence as an valid entity for spaced repetition
    • they even don't need to have answers choice, just answers like "Understood" "Want to study more" should be enough (of course there should be possibility to show sentence translation with clickable vocabulary etc, also including features mentioned below) (something more like Anki with sentences)? But I'm not satisfied with Anki itself because of missing links and breakdowns like mentioned above).
  • Ability to configure "my desired JLPT level" and replacing of kanji with kana in sentences display if kanji is above my configured JLPT level
  • Ability to search sentences by matching JLPT level
    • ideally, for example each sentence could have a scores (I know this may be hard to classify the data but some engine could be implemented to start with this, and overall experience with this feature will be increasing along with tuning the data):
      • % of vocabulary by JLPT level (for example, if there is one word from level 1 and three words from level 2, scores will be: vocabulary: levle1: 25%, level2: 75%, so sentence is mostly for level 2), this can be used for filtering and sorting results.
      • % of grammar by JLPT level
      • % of kanji by JLPT
  • In general, if anywhere in Renshuu there are listed features for kanji, vocabulary and grammar, think of how features for sentences could be added there
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261
Hello!
First, if you feel that the renshuu pro contents were misleading in any way - please let me know! I am more than happy to refund your purchase if you were expecting something different.

That being said, I think the ideas you've put forth are an interesting idea to consider. While you say they are "basic", it would take some time to implement them into the site. I have a rather ambitious schedule for the next two months (through the end of the year), so something of this size will probably not be feasible until early 2020. This would also give me enough time to really think it through, get comments from others, and create something that you and others will be fully satisfied with.

This one, though: "Ability to configure "my desired JLPT level" and replacing of kanji with kana in sentences display if kanji is above my configured JLPT level", already exists in the site for sentences on all pages. In Settings > Vocabulary, you can choose how unknown kanji are shown in terms and sentences. Under Settings > Kanji, you can set a blanket level of knowledge (at the top), or drill down into specific textbooks, jlpt levels, etc. Please check it out!
4 years ago
Report Content
hogacz
Hello!
First, if you feel that the renshuu pro contents were misleading in any way - please let me know! I am more than happy to refund your purchase if you were expecting something different.

That being said, I think the ideas you've put forth are an interesting idea to consider. While you say they are "basic", it would take some time to implement them into the site. I have a rather ambitious schedule for the next two months (through the end of the year), so something of this size will probably not be feasible until early 2020. This would also give me enough time to really think it through, get comments from others, and create something that you and others will be fully satisfied with.

This one, though: "Ability to configure "my desired JLPT level" and replacing of kanji with kana in sentences display if kanji is above my configured JLPT level", already exists in the site for sentences on all pages. In Settings > Vocabulary, you can choose how unknown kanji are shown in terms and sentences. Under Settings > Kanji, you can set a blanket level of knowledge (at the top), or drill down into specific textbooks, jlpt levels, etc. Please check it out!
Hi, thanks for reply!
Pro payment is not a problem. Thank you for your kind offer, but no, there is no need of refund.
Saying "basic" I didn't want to underestimate potential effort needed for implementation, I wanted to say that my proposals are rather a spontaneous "bootstraps" for the topics, not a detailed "RFC".
I'm happy to see that ideas are not immediately refused :-)
Thank you for the hint about kanji levels!
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

Some of this functionality just got added in renshuu's beta! Specifically, you can now make and study sentence lists in the Study Center, and schedules are being made as we speak. Please check it out if you have the chance!

4 years ago
Report Content
hogacz

Great, thank you! I'm back to Renshuu.org now :-)

Of course I have some ideas for further improvements but I'll create new topics for them.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana