Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Pitch Accent Discussion (アクセント)

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Level:
Hello, everyone!
As some of you may know, Japanese is a pitch accent language.
That means that for every word, there is a high-low variation.
Pitch accent is a feature that often gets overlooked,
even though simply knowing about the super basic rules with help you sound more natural!
Anyway, feel free to comment, post any rules you know, whatever you want!
I'll be posting all the rules I know!
4 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Level: 1147

I took a few Japanese linguistics classes in college, and something I though was interesting was we had international students from multiple parts of Japan in the classes, and there was an exercise we did where the non-native Japanese speakers were supposed to get a native speaker's opinion on which pitch accent pattern was correct for certain words. Depending on if the person you asked was from the Osaka area or the Tokyo area, you could get completely different answers for the same word! There's an interesting section on the wiki page for Japanese pitch accents that covers these kinds of regional variations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.... It was kind of funny, most of the students from Japan at my school were from the Osaka area, but the stuff in our textbooks was of course all based on the Tokyo dialect, so there were a lot of interesting mixups like this throughout all my Japanese classes.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana