Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - [ANDROID] Alpha round - General information thread

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

マイコー
Level: 261

Alpha is restricted to renshuu pro members only. Send me a message if interested. The download to the app will be sent privately.

Installing the APK

1. Your device may be set to reject apks (Application files) that are not from the Play Store, and you may need to change your settings (it should prompt you) to allow this.
  2. Upon installation, it may say something like "Not protected by play store". This is because it has not be officially published yet. If you are uncomfortable with it, please do not install it.
  3. During the installation, it will recommend that you send the file to google to check it. Feel free to do this if you'd like.
  4. New versions will come out frequently (same download address that you will receive initially). You do not need to uninstall the old version.
  5. Permissions required: Internet access (of course), read files (only when you try to upload a file - it will most likely not request the permission until then), write files (if you download something from the site)

Current state of the app

1. Provides an enhanced window into the site (more screen space for it). All functionality already in the site should work in the app as well. There is no offline support.

2. You will have a "Notifications" tab on your Settings page - check this out. Currently, all notifications are opt-in. You can also send yourself a test notification

ACTIVE NOTIFICATIONS - messages from other users (Inbox), replies to forum threads you are subscribed to, when you can play another word in a shiritori round

NOT YET ACTIVE - event notices, daily study reminders

3. There may be random Toasts (popup messages) when logging in. I might ask about those if you have a problem with notifications

Do not report bugs in this thread please. General questions are ok. When making bug threads, make sure they go into the beta forum, and preface them with [ANDROID] in the title. Also, please report the device you are using and your Android version (if you know it).

CURRENT (potential issues) - would love feedback on these if you notice anything, or new threads if bugs appear
1. If the page cannot be loaded due to internet connection issues, the app will fall over and die. This will be fixed soon with an alert screen.

2. Would like feedback on the loading screen - does it appear to be longer than if you were to load up the site in your preferred browser? (In particular, I'd like to know if you notice it "hanging" on about 70% completion - based on the progress bar at the top)

3. There's a lot of "handshaking" at the beginning when you log in to make sure the notification information makes it to the site. If anything goes wrong there, it'll prevent all notifications from appearing.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'm terribly sorry, but it looks like I'll need to delay the alpha release a bit. It turns out that there is currently not a way for users logging in through their Google or Facebook accounts to login from within the app. That's only a few of you currently in the Alpha list, but I'd like to work on this a bit and see if there is a short-term fix. If the fix is going to take awhile, I'll release the app for those of you that log in with a password, and make a stop-gap solution for the other ones until a real solution is in place.

Edit: temp fix in for Google, working on Facebook.

(Note to devs: this is a work through within the webview until I have a proper login through Android's system.)

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

New version up:

Mark read button now exists for forum posts and private messages. Also fixed a bug where icon for notification was not showing up at times.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

New version up:

1. Nav buttons auto-hide on the bottom

2. Site no longer reloads when orientation of device changes.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Update: January 11th

Note: it is recommended that you remove the previous install before installing this one. If not, it may not install.

1. Login page added. Currently, google logins are now handled within the app. Username/email/facebook - please use the "Email" link to go straight to the site. Note: if you log in through the google link, you cannot yet log out.

2. Status bar up top no longer disappears.

3. Fixed? bug with keyboard overlapping page.

4. Notifications now handle longer messages

5. Clicking "Mark read" button now properly dismisses the notification.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Update: January 13th

1. Should do a better job of sticking around after it was minimized.

2. Trying out a new preloading system that takes a lot of the web assets (js and css) and packages them along inside the apk for little downloading. Should speedup loading. Does not yet dynamically update those files when updated ones exist (will be done very soon).

3. Caret color (cursor) should not weird in Android 6.0 (but I cannot confirm because of weirdness with my emulator)

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Update: January 23rd

**You may need to remove cache/user data if the new version crashes on load

This still is not visually ideal on the loadup, but the app is now capable of downloading and caching updated parts of renshuu so it can load the changes without needing a new apk.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Update: January 27th

1. Loading screen now shows updates when necessary (downloading files to speedup site)

2. Will flash a toast when there's a new version here!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

January 30th

1. Fixed some colors on the dialogs requesting permissions

2. Should no longer crash when asking for permissions on Android 9 (ex. downloading a worksheet)

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

February 8th

1. Better error handling if you get logged out

2. Better notification response - schedule reminders getting turned on tomorrow!

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana