Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Motivation Survey Results and Future Plans!

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements > Archived Announcements

マイコー
Level: 262

Thanks to the ton of people who responded to our app on motivational structures in renshuu! I'd like to announce the results as well as some planned changes based on those results!

The Results

In order, the following features motivated 70%+ of respondents either a little or a lot:

1. Achievements

2. Daily Challenges

3. Kao-coins

Both Leaderboards and Genki points motivated about 50% of respondents.

In the free response section, many people also mentioned the daily streaks of schedules as well as our mascot's presence as strong motivational factors.

We also received some excellent, constructive criticism regarding these systems. A few that really stuck out are the following:

1. Apply customization to these systems so users can easily turn off ones they are not interested in.

2. The Kao-coins are getting a bit too unwieldy, with too many making it hard to get new ones.

3. Daily streaks on the front page, plus more variety with stats available (ex. % of JLPT levels learned, kanji level tied to equivalent level of the Japanese school system).

4. Too many disparate systems!

As we proceed with the framework of our app for 2020, we are planning to overhaul a number of these systems. I'd also like to mention that Ring Fit Adventure for the Nintendo Switch is having a profound effect on how I view motivation, and I hope the inspiration I've received from it benefit all of you as well.

Motivational Plans/Changes!

Some of these will appear in the current beta version of the site, while others will not make it out until springtime.

Kao coins - we'll be introducing a simple system where repeat kao coins can be used to draw guaranteed new coins (given new ones exist). We also have a new gacha machine in beta currently. We'll have a better way for you to see what you've gotten as well.

Motivation settings - motivational settings (turning on and off these systems) will be collected in a central place to make it easy to turn them off and on. If you want nothing but studying, that'll soon be available!

Goodbye to genki points! - Genki points in their current form will disappear. However, a new system (that pulls in daily challenges and Kao manga) will take its place that I think will both me more fun and meaningful to the majority of users. We still want to reward you for your studying whether it be quizzing, writing sentences, or doing games, but the way in which we present all of this can be better.

Achievement and daily challenge renewal - we're going to refresh the numbers and visuals on the achievement system. We don't want to just use the generic trophy icon, but the current kanji circles are not as accessible to most users as we'd like them to be. We'll also be expanding the daily challenges, adding new ones and letting you turn off some of them that you're uninterested in.

As always, join the renshuu beta (in the Help menu) if you want faster access to these features! We expect the current beta to end this month, and the new app beta to hit the Play Store sooner than later!

これからもよろしくおいします!

4 years ago
    Report Content
    mysticfive
    Level: 1604

question/thought on the bonus Kao coins - would there be any way for regular kao coins to count towards the rare/ultra rare coins? I feel like since those are already an exciting 'get', it would feel like more of a bonus if those could be gotten through the bonus system. Maybe if all the common coins were already obtained, or they could count for like a 2-5% bonus for the others or something?

(reading through that I'm not sure how much sense I was making, I apologize - this week has been all the crazy!)

4 years ago
    Report Content
    マイコー
    Level: 262

Definitely thinking about something like that, will see what comes in during the March beta!

4 years ago
    Report Content
    mysticfive
    Level: 1604

awesome! Some of my students are absolutely hooked on kao coins - even when we're *not* using computers in class, I've overheard things like "yeah but how many Ultra Rare do you have??" - and if that gets some of these kids studying their vocab, I'm all for it!

4 years ago
    Report Content
    Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements > Archived Announcements

Loading the list
    Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
    ■ Katakana ■ Hiragana